GF 6600TD reboots PC

Old September 17th 05, 09:28 AM
rrvdputten

Default GF 6600TD reboots PC

Hi to all,
I have a GF 6600TD AGP from Leadtek. Now here is what happens..After
installing it works fine for a bit but then it starts to reboot my computer.
It has a extra powersocket so i need to put in a powerplug from my
powersupply.
The brand is WinFast from Leadtek.
Anybody else have that prob.
What i already tested is:
Other powersupply what gives 400 watt now and 450 peak if needed.
New drivers old drivers etc etc.
Other video card from the same brand but that does the same.. So its not the
card that is broken or something like that..
When i put my old card back in its ok there no more reboots. So i dont know
what the problem is anymore..

Here are my specs for my comp.

MB is Gigabyte p4 Titan 8S655TX Ultra (FSB 800).
CPU is P4 3.0Ghz HT.
1.5Gig mem.
Soundblaster Audigy.
1 DVD burner 8 speed and 1 cd burner 64 speed.
3 harddrives, one 40 gig IDE, one 80 gig IDE and one 160 gig SATA, all at
7200 speed.

Please can someone help me out.

Old September 17th 05, 03:47 PM
First of One

Do you have the latest SiS AGP chipset driver? If not, go to
http://www.sis.com/download/ and select Chipset Driver - AGP (GART)
Driver - [your operating system]

Might also be worthwhile to run at AGP4x instead of 8x. Speed impact is
non-existent, but stability/compatibility goes way up.

Old September 17th 05, 11:36 PM
DaveW

Your power supply, I suspect , may be an "economical" model and if so does
NOT really put out anywhere near the 400 or 450 peak watts that you
mentioned, despite it's ratings. With all those power hungry components
that you have in your computer I would seriously consider a 480 Watt or 550
Watt Antec True Power PSU. It is very conservatively rated and will deliver
the true power that your system demands.

--
DaveW
__________

Old September 19th 05, 10:09 PM
dawg

Wattage isn't really issiue. It depends on amperage. Make sure your video
card is the only thing on that power line.

Old September 21st 05, 05:14 AM
Robert Hancock

Charlie wrote:
Amps and Watts are forever tied together (by Ohm's Law) so one cannot say
"watts don't matter it's amps that do"

P= (I*I) * R

Power in watts = (amps squared) times resistance

It's not that simple. The wattage rating on some power supplies has
little basis in reality, it's often greater than the combined volts
times amps of all the lines (i.e. the maximum cannot be drawn on all of
the outputs at the same time). Also, high ratings on useless lines like
-12V can increase the wattage rating but this is irrelevant since
nothing draws power on those lines.

With most new systems, the rating on the +12V line is the most important
since this is what powers the hard drives, optical drives, CPU and
graphics card(s).

Anyway Tiger Direct still has dual fan 420W ATX supplies for $36

I wouldn't be inclined to use a PSU that cheap on any kind of gaming
system. PSUs are one thing where cheaper is NOT better.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old September 21st 05, 06:36 AM
Charlie

Yes it is THAT simple...what is there about a power supply that disproves
Ohm's Law?

Now whether ps mfr's fudge wattage ratings is a horse of a different
color.....

My point is that one cannot say "amps don't count" or "watts don't count"
etc but the other does is to try and separate watts from amps and deal with
them individually with no expectant correlation in the other. It cannot be
done and Ohm's Law prevents it.

--

Charlie

Old September 23rd 05, 03:44 AM
Robert Hancock

Charlie wrote:
Yes it is THAT simple...what is there about a power supply that disproves
Ohm's Law?

Now whether ps mfr's fudge wattage ratings is a horse of a different
color.....

My point is that one cannot say "amps don't count" or "watts don't count"
etc but the other does is to try and separate watts from amps and deal with
them individually with no expectant correlation in the other. It cannot be
done and Ohm's Law prevents it.

The point is that total PSU wattage is often a rather useless measure of
a supply these days. Even just comparing max amps on +12V is probably
better in some situations than relying on the wattage rating..

Old September 23rd 05, 04:34 AM
Charlie

Well you are entitled to your opinion. Of the PS's I have looked at on the
net or owned the primary performance parameter they all advertise - IS -
total wattage. Then typically deeper in the specs are the current / voltage
ratings. IMHO any PS mfr that would stray from the typical power
allocations would sell very few PS's. They all have to compete with one
another.

I can see your point technically but for consumers the typical thing they
are told and look for and what is called out in gfx card specs is just a
singular and simple wattage rating.

Old September 23rd 05, 10:40 AM
de Moni

Charlie wrote:
Well you are entitled to your opinion. Of the PS's I have looked at on the
net or owned the primary performance parameter they all advertise - IS -
total wattage. Then typically deeper in the specs are the current / voltage
ratings. IMHO any PS mfr that would stray from the typical power
allocations would sell very few PS's. They all have to compete with one
another.

Codegen 350W: +3.3V 20A, +5V 30A, +12V 15A
Enermax 350W: +3.3V 32A, +5V 32A, +12V 17A

If both of these supplies are supposed to output 350W, then why does
Codegen have lower amperes? Doesn't lower amp mean lower watt also? Or
is Codegen less efficient or something?