Stupid Q!?

Old August 30th 05, 08:31 PM
FCW

Default Stupid Q!?

Got an Geforce6600 256 (Gainward).

When at idle temp readings are approx 60-62*C.

Temp is symbolized whith a bar which rises and change colour depending on
core temperature.

At 60 its still low and green (When playing its approx 75*C mid height and
orange)

Max temp limit is set to 145*C. (Ain't that very High??)

The graphics BTW runs smooth and nice, even at max settings in HL2.

What is normal temp for a GPU?

Thanx
FCW

Old August 30th 05, 09:20 PM
Andrew

"FCW" wrote in message
Got an Geforce6600 256 (Gainward).

When at idle temp readings are approx 60-62*C.

Temp is symbolized whith a bar which rises and change colour depending on
core temperature.

At 60 its still low and green (When playing its approx 75*C mid height and
orange)

Max temp limit is set to 145*C. (Ain't that very High??)

The graphics BTW runs smooth and nice, even at max settings in HL2.

What is normal temp for a GPU?

Thanx
FCW

Depends on the ambient conditions but my card is idling at 56oC in an
ambient emperature of 40oC (according to the video card but more likely to
be 25oC) If your house or PC case is a little warner then then video card
will run warmer. 62 is fine and i would not worry about it. My card hits
the 70's whenI play Doom 3.

Andy

Old August 30th 05, 09:29 PM
sp

The gfx cards are designed to take a bit of punishment from heat. If you
got good case ventilation i wouldn't worry about it, as long as your case
stays nice and cool u got nothing to worry about. Depending on your
processor depends on what the max case temp should be.

I know what the temps are for intel but not AMD, so if u got a P4 here is
the list.

P4 3.0GHz or less = max case temp 45 degrees C
P4 3.0GHz or more = max case temp 42 degrees C
P4 3.6GHz or more = max case temp 38 degrees C

Hope This helps

sp

Old August 31st 05, 03:11 AM
Dragoncarer

"FCW" wrote in message
Got an Geforce6600 256 (Gainward).

When at idle temp readings are approx 60-62*C.

Temp is symbolized whith a bar which rises and change colour depending on
core temperature.

At 60 its still low and green (When playing its approx 75*C mid height and
orange)

Max temp limit is set to 145*C. (Ain't that very High??)

The graphics BTW runs smooth and nice, even at max settings in HL2.

What is normal temp for a GPU?

Thanx
FCW

I know the feeling....it's scary at first. But nah, you've got nothing to
worry about. It'll never reach 145 unless you live in, I dunno, the desert.
And have no fans in your case. And your case is made out of wool.
But seriously...these things are, at the end of the day, pretty idiot proof.
If the card gets too hot, hot enough to start maybe causing damage, it'll
just shut down. So if you notice your monitor turning off and the computer
stopping all the time when you're in the middle of things....yeah.

You should have at least 4 fans in total: your GPU fan, one case fan, a PSU
fan, a CPU fan. If you have all of those (the only thing you might need to
buy is the case fan if your case didn't come with one), you'll be fine as.

And make sure the case isn't ramemd up against a wall or in a corner, or
right next to your desk or anything. Leave a good amount of space around it
on all sides - especially where there are ventilation holes.

If it's still too hot, just buy another case fan. They're cheap as chips and
easy to install.

OK I've waffled on for long enough now.

Old August 31st 05, 04:36 AM
Tom Dauphin

6800 GT living in the desert (Phx, AZ) and mine idles at about 65. In 3D
games (FEAR Demo and Flatout) it can run as hot as 85-88 without so much as
a hiccup. This is with ambient room temp of about 27-29 degrees. In winter
with 3D games it can run as high as 70-75 with ambient room air of 16-20
degrees. This is with OC at 450/1100 in winter. Summer I leave well enough
alone, as I've seen artifacts and 95 on the card is just a little too hot
for my blood. I mean I know I'm probably only gonna keep the card for
probably a year and then upgrade to the latest greatest, but it would be
nice to be able to sell the darn thing for a few bucks prior to upgrading.

Old August 31st 05, 10:01 PM
Andrew

"Dragoncarer" wrote in message

"FCW" wrote in message
[...]

If the temprature gets too hot the GPU will effectively apply thermal
throttling, that is its core clock speed will decrease until the temperature
drops. You might notice a drop in frame rate as this happens.

Andy

Old September 1st 05, 03:22 AM
Dragoncarer

"FCW" wrote in message
[...]

Well there you go!
I didn't know that - only that the GPU would be able to regulate itself if
something went wrong.
Thanks for the info.