How do I test a Power Supply?

Old August 20th 05, 04:08 AM
Lyn

Default How do I test a Power Supply?

I got a new Antec PS. But when I plug it in
(with nothing connected to it) it doesn't seem to
run (the fan doesn't turn and there is no dc voltage
on some of the leads). Is it dead or does it require
a connection to a motherboard to work???

Thanks

Old August 20th 05, 05:04 AM
larry moe 'n curly

Lyn wrote:

I got a new Antec PS. But when I plug it in
(with nothing connected to it) it doesn't seem to
run (the fan doesn't turn and there is no dc voltage
on some of the leads). Is it dead or does it require
a connection to a motherboard to work???

It requires the green wire on the big power connector (has 20 or 24
pins) to be grounded to one of the black wires (any will do, even
others on the same connector). Most people use a bent paperclip to
short them together.

BTW don't bother buying a PSU tester because it will say that a PSU is
fine even if one of its voltages is so way off that the computer won't
run. In my case a tester from CompUSA did this even though the +12V
rail was too low to make the disk drives spin. For the same money you
can buy a cheap digital multimeter that will be a lot more accurate and
useful for testing many other things as well.

Old August 20th 05, 07:54 AM
David Maynard

Lyn wrote:

I got a new Antec PS. But when I plug it in
(with nothing connected to it) it doesn't seem to
run (the fan doesn't turn and there is no dc voltage
on some of the leads). Is it dead or does it require
a connection to a motherboard to work???

You may notice that the power button is on the case and connected to the
motherboard so, yes, the PSU normally needs to be connected to the
motherboard to turn it on.

You can power it up separately by connecting the green wire to ground
(black) but it also needs a minimum load to regulate properly. I keep an
old junker hard drive to plug into them for that purpose.

Thanks

Old August 20th 05, 08:20 AM
Kadaitcha Man

Lyn, , the sneering, futureless transvestite, and
gatherer and seller of dead fish found floating in polluted rivers, cawed:

I got a new Antec PS. But when I plug it in
(with nothing connected to it) it doesn't seem to
run (the fan doesn't turn and there is no dc voltage
on some of the leads). Is it dead or does it require
a connection to a motherboard to work???

Plug the power supply into the mains. Drop your knickers, squat over the
vents and **** into it.

PS: Do you suck cock? Do you swallow?

--
Doug Grant wrote:
If you want to respond to my posts... then email me and
I will either allow you to do so or not.

Old August 20th 05, 08:40 AM
Conor

In article , Lyn says...
I got a new Antec PS. But when I plug it in
(with nothing connected to it) it doesn't seem to
run (the fan doesn't turn and there is no dc voltage
on some of the leads). Is it dead or does it require
a connection to a motherboard to work???

Read up about Switch Mode PSUs - they need a load to run

--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.
Old August 20th 05, 02:25 PM
ToolPackinMama

David Maynard wrote:

You can power it up separately by connecting the green wire to ground
(black) but it also needs a minimum load to regulate properly. I keep an
old junker hard drive to plug into them for that purpose.

Hmm! Good idea.
Old August 20th 05, 02:41 PM
Lyn

Thanks to all (except for the one jerk). I did as you said and it does
read the correct voltage now but the fan still doesn't turn. Is it normal
for a Antec SL300S to not turn on fan until hot??
Thanks

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Lyn says...

Old August 21st 05, 01:11 PM
ac

Lyn wrote:
Thanks to all (except for the one jerk). I did as you said and it does
read the correct voltage now but the fan still doesn't turn. Is it normal
for a Antec SL300S to not turn on fan until hot??
Thanks

Which fan? (I missed something?) I would think th eprocessor fan would
be going all th etime, dont try if it does not. Other fans may be on off
temperature controlled maybe?
--
ac
Old August 21st 05, 01:12 PM
Kadaitcha Man

Lyn, , the straying, garlicky boxer, and slave trader,
twiddled:

Thanks to all (except for the one jerk).

I suppose a head job is out of the question then?

Old August 21st 05, 07:43 PM
ric

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message
. muck.spreading...

Thanks to all (except for the one jerk).

I suppose a head job is out of the question then?

Sorry, but the tweezers have been misplaced.