Gigabyte GV-3D1 - only 16bit in popular resolutions???

Old August 21st 05, 12:54 AM

Default Gigabyte GV-3D1 - only 16bit in popular resolutions???

Hi folks,

Was just perusing the online manual of this dual-GPU 6600GT 256MB beast
(can deliver 3DMark scores of post 14000) in lieu of a likely impending
purchase, and was shocked to see the supported colour depth table.

It says that the card won't run 32 bit colour for any resolutions from
1024x768 up to 1900x1200 (including the popular 1600x1200 and 1280x1024
settings). It says only 16 bit is supported at these resolutions.
Bizarrely, when you go **REALLY** high, i.e. 1920x1440 and 2048x1536,
32 bit is supported.

The manual is he
http://europe.giga-byte.com/VGA/File...nual_3d1_e.pdf

The table is on page 32.

Please someone tell me this is a load of nonsense - I find it
absolutely shocking if true, and would be a serious hindrance to my
purchase (I work with a lot of gradients in graphics software).

Can anyone confirm?

Rudi

Old August 21st 05, 01:16 AM
First of One

The table is misleading. It is saying the maximum refresh rate available at
that resolution (e.g. 240 Hz at 1024x768) cannot be used in 32-bpp mode. In
fact, the same table is shown in the single-chip 6600GT manual, yet we know
it definitely works in 32-bpp at all resolutions because the card is a
reference design.

In the manual for the 7800GTX, Gigabyte made the appropriate revisions:
http://america.giga-byte.com/VGA/Fil...8x256v-b_e.pdf

Keep in mind the GV-3D1 is sold as a package with a custom motherboard. It
probably won't work in any other motherboard.

oups.com...

Old August 22nd 05, 12:25 PM
Gee

Yo Rudi,

I have this card in a Gigabyte 8N-SLI-R mobo and it rocks (this is an Intel
CPU board) nForce4.
Things to be careful about is this mobo needs a very good psu at least a 550
W plus.
There is a website that gives you recommended items for an SLI system
http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build.html and is a must read.
The card will work with a number of Gigabyte AMD 939 mobo, These are all the
Nvidia nForce 4 series.
By the way it only works in Gigabyte mobos.

By the way the board does get over 14000 in 3DMark03 tests and very close to
6000 in 3DMark05.
Hope this was helpful.

--

Gee