Third-party warranty for old Dell server?

Old February 23rd 09, 05:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
just bob

Default Third-party warranty for old Dell server?

We have a server we will need for one more year and since it is more than
five years old Dell will not sell us maintenance contract (yes, that is one
more reason to use HP for servers).

Is there a third party you can recommend?

Thanks

Old February 23rd 09, 06:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Is there a third party you can recommend?

If you only need the server for another year, are you really going to
need a warranty? If (big if) the machine goes down, how soon does it
need to be back up?

Think about this:

1. If a failure occurs, you can probably buy whatever part you need
for a lot less than the cost of a warranty.

2. The most likely part to fail is going to be a disk storage device.
If need be, you can keep some extra disks on hand. If you have a RAID
array, you should already have these on hand.

3. If your hardware is running properly, and has survived the first 24
hours of its life without incident, further failures will be a long
way off. Computer hardware is one of those things that typically
either works or does not.

I think the best idea is to purchase some of the parts that are likely
to fail (disks, power supplies, memory) and have them on hand. Then,
when the time comes to retire the server, you can consider selling it,
and the extra parts will improve its value.

William
Old February 24th 09, 06:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fixer

"just bob" kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote in message
We have a server we will need for one more year and since it is more than
five years old Dell will not sell us maintenance contract (yes, that is
one more reason to use HP for servers).

Is there a third party you can recommend?

Thanks

Depends where in the world you are but HP have a division called Hewlett
Packard CDS which does exactly what you want, HPCDs was orignally synstar
Computer services untill HP bought them, and they are the preferred 3rd
party Maintenance company for HP-EDS

Can I take my dell to a Dell Kiosk for warranty repair? OregonMike Dell Computers 15 February 7th 07 06:09 AM
Dell Warranty Lez Pawl Dell Computers 3 January 8th 07 05:43 PM
EPSON - any 3rd party drivers for 3rd party inks? [email protected] Printers 3 December 19th 05 05:18 PM
3rd party RAM doesn't always work in dell? peter Dell Computers 2 December 8th 04 03:51 PM
Dell 600SC "server" not suitable as a server! Someone Dell Computers 5 January 5th 04 03:29 PM