Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

Old July 2nd 08, 03:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Will

Default Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy the
image to a file on an NTFS file system? The point is I want to have a
library of images as large files under NTFS, rather than having to index a
large number of physical drives, each of which would have one or more
partitions.

--
Will

Old July 2nd 08, 04:13 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Will wrote

Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy the image to a file on an NTFS file system?

If you really meant write instead of the word copy, then any of
the major imagers will do that fine. I prefer Acronis True Image.

The point is I want to have a library of images as large files under NTFS, rather than having to index a large number
of physical drives, each of which would have one or more partitions.

Not clear what the first part of that means.

Old July 2nd 08, 04:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Will wrote:
Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy the
image to a file on an NTFS file system? The point is I want to have a
library of images as large files under NTFS, rather than having to index a
large number of physical drives, each of which would have one or more
partitions.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

Bootitng
Image for Windows
Image for DOS
Image for Linux

---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old July 2nd 08, 05:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Will

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Will wrote

Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy
the image to a file on an NTFS file system?

If you really meant write instead of the word copy, then any of
the major imagers will do that fine. I prefer Acronis True Image.

I already tried TrueImage 9.01 from their boot CD. It makes the backup
image of the partition, but when you go to "restore" I don't find any option
to restore to any arbitrary location on the hard drive. Instead it just
wants to overwrite the original partition or entire drive.

--
Will

Old July 2nd 08, 05:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Will wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Will wrote

Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy
the image to a file on an NTFS file system?

If you really meant write instead of the word copy, then any of
the major imagers will do that fine. I prefer Acronis True Image.

I already tried TrueImage 9.01 from their boot CD. It makes the backup
image of the partition, but when you go to "restore" I don't find any option
to restore to any arbitrary location on the hard drive. Instead it just
wants to overwrite the original partition or entire drive.

The terabyteunlimited utilites will restore to the start of any free
space and also overwrite a partition. Using bootitng you can then slide
and resize partitions any way you want, or make a temporary partition to
make the free space start where you want the restored partition. Note
that the Image utilities are in their versions 2, while bootitng, which
can also do partitions, makes incompatible ver. 1 images. However you
can also dowload ver. 1 of the Image utilites when you buy the ver. 2;
you can intall both versions of Image for Windows. The ver.2 Image
products can do a byte-by-byte verify of a restore.
---

Old July 2nd 08, 06:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

PS Image for Windows can image the partition it's running from using
"phylock," but I don't think it's a great idea. If you do that, close
all programs. I trierd it and had something get out of synch from
running some portable apps from another partition while imaging; one of
them wouldn't start up any more when testing a rostore of the image.
Howevere, using bootitng I have a recent bootable copy of C: on there
(it's just 20 gigs, my data is on another shared partition). I can boot
to the copy, and run the same portable apps while imaging the original,
which is then not active. But the simple way would be to boot to a CD or
floppy of Image for DOS (you could use bootitng but you'd get the ver. 1
image -- "bing" will be updated to ver. 2 eventually -- and Image for
DOS can be set not to image the page file and hibernate file).

My 20 gig C: has about 5 gigs on it not including the page file, and it
takes about 6 minutes to image and verify it byte-by-byte.

It you set the images to be in segments 4 gigs or less, you can later
burn them onto DVD from your NTFS partition.

You can try everything in trial versions -- they're offering bootitng
and the 3 Image products for $50 together. I think Image for DOS is $20.

If you're really broke, you can just use a CD or floppy of BING. It will
not require registration (forgive me, terabyte!). Just go into
maintenance mode when it starts up after deciding not to install it.
Remember, it makes ver. 1 images (the Image products are in ver. 2).
Also it doesn't do byte-by-byte restore verification. Or you could use a
CD of BING to manage partitions and buy Image for DOS to do the imaging.
Or you could go the whole hog and buy BING and be able to boot multiple
C: partitions.
---

Old July 2nd 08, 07:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Will wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Will wrote

Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy the image to a file on an NTFS file system?

If you really meant write instead of the word copy, then any of
the major imagers will do that fine. I prefer Acronis True Image.

I already tried TrueImage 9.01 from their boot CD. It makes the
backup image of the partition, but when you go to "restore" I don't
find any option to restore to any arbitrary location on the hard drive.

Corse you can. That has to be restoring a partition tho, not the entire physical drive, obviously.

Instead it just wants to overwrite the original partition or entire drive.

Thats just plain wrong. You can restore a partition to anywhere you like on a
particular physical drive, including over any of the existing partitions on that drive.

Old July 2nd 08, 07:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Will

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Will wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Will wrote

[...]

Are you using TrueImage from Windows desktop, or are you using the boot CD
you can create from TrueImage?

And probably you are using version 10?

The limitation I am seeing may be just for the boot CD, and it may also be
for version 9.

--
Will

Old July 2nd 08, 10:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Will wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Will wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Will wrote

[...]

I do it both ways depending on the circumstances.

And probably you are using version 10?

I do now, but have used 9 previously.

The limitation I am seeing may be just for the boot CD, and it may also be for version 9.

No to both.

Old July 2nd 08, 08:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rene

"Will" schreef in bericht
Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy
the image to a file on an NTFS file system? The point is I want to have
a library of images as large files under NTFS, rather than having to index
a large number of physical drives, each of which would have one or more
partitions.

--
Will

Look for Clonezilla.