Dual GPU nVidia Card With 512MB Per GPU?

Old June 16th 08, 05:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Will

Default Dual GPU nVidia Card With 512MB Per GPU?

I have a 7950GX2, which has served me fine for two years. I have exhausted
the 512MB video memory on each GPU and I have an immediate need for any
dual-GPU video card that has more than 512 MB of video memory per GPU.
Does nVidia make one yet? I would even settle for another 7950GX2 but with
more memory per GPU.

--
Will

Old June 16th 08, 06:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"Will" wrote in message
I have a 7950GX2, which has served me fine for two years. I have
exhausted
the 512MB video memory on each GPU and I have an immediate need for any
dual-GPU video card that has more than 512 MB of video memory per GPU.
Does nVidia make one yet? I would even settle for another 7950GX2 but
with
more memory per GPU.

How exactly have you exhausted the 512Mb per GPU on your 7950GX2? It's not
like a fuel in a gas tank. And it doesn't wear out like tires over time. I
can see newer titles finding a 7950GX2 to be lacking in GPU power. But not
memory. You can buy a 768Mb 8800GTX for less than $270 now. You won't be
exhausting the memory (or processing power) on it anytime soon. Or if it's
lots of memory you must have you can spring for the Quadro FX 4700X2 with 2
Gig of DDR3 video memory. That shouldn't run out anytime soon either. About
$7000US or so....

Old June 16th 08, 10:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Will

"Augustus" wrote in message
"Will" wrote in message
[...]

Running the 7950GX2 with Microsoft FSX at the settings I am using as soon as
I fly into a dense urban area the frame rate slows to zero, vertical spikes
appear in the image, and then FSX freezes and crashes. Most of the posts I
have read suggest that the vertical spiking of the image before a crash is a
sign of video card memory exhaustion.

FSX is CPU constrained, and I'm not concerned about the speed of the GPU.

--
Will

Old June 16th 08, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Will wrote:

Running the 7950GX2 with Microsoft FSX at the settings I am using as soon as
I fly into a dense urban area the frame rate slows to zero, vertical spikes
appear in the image, and then FSX freezes and crashes. Most of the posts I
have read suggest that the vertical spiking of the image before a crash is a
sign of video card memory exhaustion.

FSX is CPU constrained, and I'm not concerned about the speed of the GPU.

Did you not even look yourself before you asked?

There are plenty of 1GB 9800GX2's for sale.

Old June 16th 08, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Will wrote:

Running the 7950GX2 with Microsoft FSX at the settings I am using as soon
as
I fly into a dense urban area the frame rate slows to zero, vertical
spikes
appear in the image, and then FSX freezes and crashes. Most of the
posts I
have read suggest that the vertical spiking of the image before a crash
is a
sign of video card memory exhaustion.

FSX is CPU constrained, and I'm not concerned about the speed of the GPU.

Did you not even look yourself before you asked?

There are plenty of 1GB 9800GX2's for sale.

I think his main complaint is that his 7950 GX2 has 2x512Mb dedicated and he
wants more. About the only decent 1Gig dedicated per GPU card I know of
other than Quadro and FireGL lines is the HD 3870 line with 1024Mb DDR3 like
this one....$290 without rebate, $250 after.

There's also a 1 Gig DDR3 512bit version of the HD 3850 for more money and
likely similar performance

Plus 1 Gig versions of the HD 3850 using DDR2 as well as DDR3.....priced
about the same. Read the specs carefully. Get an HD 3850 with 1 Gig of DDR2
and prepare for 8600GT level performance. There are some "lovely" 1Gig
128bit 8600GT's out there as well....choose wisely.

Old June 17th 08, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Augustus wrote:
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Will wrote:

[...]

Yeah he wants 1G per GPU, but that isn't available in non SLI and a
9800GX2 will perform VASTLY better than what he currently has in FSX, no
matter what his FB+TXT memory requirements are. The 9800GX2 will also
outperform the HD3870 in FSX unless the OP really has a need for 500M+
of memory in use at once unless it's due to obnoxious resolution
requirements ... at which point the raw performance of the 9800GX2 will
come out on top again.

You really want a viable single card option?

Palit's 1G 8800GTS, it's the perfect solutions to heavily textured games
such as Oblivion and other memory intensive operations like high FSAA
and filtering on large WS resolutions, with the horsepower to run it all.
Old June 17th 08, 12:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Augustus wrote:
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Will wrote:

[...]

Agreed...didn't know there was a 1Gig 8800GTS rig out there....

Old June 17th 08, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Augustus wrote:
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Augustus wrote:
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Will wrote:

[...]

Is there a utility around, which allows checking memory consumption on
the video card ? I seem to remember someone mentioning they used such
a thing, but I don't know what a good search term would be to find it.
Perhaps the OP could run a check, and see what is reported, while
FSX is running. FSX has tuning options as well, which may make a
difference to texture usage.

Paul

Old June 17th 08, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

First of One wrote:
THIS is a viable single card option, better performance than a 9800GX2. :-)

You first...that's why you have that name, right?

I would not touch that thing with a logic probe.