NAS Replicaiton

Old November 7th 07, 06:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
just bob

Default NAS Replicaiton

I recently started peeking at SAN features including replication but I'm
wondering if a NAS devices can have this feature, too.I would love to buy a
couple inexpensive NAS devices and have them replicate changes between each
other for two offices.

Can you suggest a vendor for me?

Thanks,
-Bob

Old November 8th 07, 12:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously just bob kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote:
I recently started peeking at SAN features including replication but I'm
wondering if a NAS devices can have this feature, too.I would love to buy a
couple inexpensive NAS devices and have them replicate changes between each
other for two offices.

Can you suggest a vendor for me?

This feature will cost you more. While possible to do in
a Linux-based NAS, AFAIK nobody offers this. Undersnatdably,
beacuese it a) mokes the device operation a whole lot
more complicated. After all you would need something like
a distributed RAID or a clutser-filesystem with this feature.
In case of promlems, manuab intervenmtion may be needed,
hence it would create support cossts. And b) it is a feature
that can be sold as expensive "enterprise" feature.

Arno

Old November 8th 07, 01:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

Arno Wagner wrote in
Previously just bob kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote:
I recently started peeking at SAN features including replication but I'm
wondering if a NAS devices can have this feature, too.I would love to buy a
couple inexpensive NAS devices and have them replicate changes between each
other for two offices.

Can you suggest a vendor for me?

This feature will cost you more. While possible to do in
a Linux-based NAS, AFAIK nobody offers this. Undersnatdably,
beacuese it a) mokes the device operation a whole lot
more complicated. After all you would need something like
a distributed RAID or a clutser-filesystem with this feature.
In case of promlems, manuab intervenmtion may be needed,
hence it would create support cossts. And b) it is a feature
that can be sold as expensive "enterprise" feature.

Arno

Careful babblebot, that brainfarct will kill you.

Oh rats. Knock your self out, let it be over with.
I'll write you a nice obituary for Gisin to read at your funeral.
Old November 8th 07, 07:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
just bob

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message
Previously just bob kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote:
I recently started peeking at SAN features including replication but I'm
wondering if a NAS devices can have this feature, too.I would love to buy
couple inexpensive NAS devices and have them replicate changes between
each
other for two offices.

Can you suggest a vendor for me?

This feature will cost you more. While possible to do in
a Linux-based NAS, AFAIK nobody offers this. Undersnatdably,
beacuese it a) mokes the device operation a whole lot
more complicated. After all you would need something like
a distributed RAID or a clutser-filesystem with this feature.
In case of promlems, manuab intervenmtion may be needed,
hence it would create support cossts. And b) it is a feature
that can be sold as expensive "enterprise" feature.

Thanks,. I'm off to check out Microsoft's DFS and see if it can work OK over
a WAN...

Old November 9th 07, 07:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

[...]

Well, if you can get the replication host based, that would solve
the issue. Sounds like the right approach to me.

Arno