Need a box for SATA hard drives

Old October 24th 07, 09:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
just bob

Default Need a box for SATA hard drives

I've been putting single drives in a USB or firewaire unit for a long time.
These boxes are cheap, like $30, right? So I want to find me a box I can
stick four disks in for say $100.

Do you have any suggestions for vendors?

If I didn't build it myself.... I've been looking at the Buffalo Quattro
External TB unit at $800 But I should be able to build my own for less. Do
you agree?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Old October 25th 07, 12:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
just bob

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
"just bob" wrote:
I've been putting single drives in a USB or firewaire unit for a long
time. These boxes are cheap, like $30, right? So I want to find me a box
I can stick four disks in for say $100.

Do you have any suggestions for vendors?

If I didn't build it myself.... I've been looking at the Buffalo Quattro
External TB unit at $800 But I should be able to build my own for less.
Do you agree?

If you'll settle for three 3.5" SATA hard drives instead of four,
Kingwin makes a 3-HD unit that includes (2) 40mm x 40mm cooling
fans, with power presumably from the PC's power supply:
http://kingwin.com/product_pages/kf3000-bk.asp
PriceWatch.com sees them going for $75 plus shipping:
http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/searc...win+kf-3000-bk

Thanks Tim. Very interesting device. But I need an external device.

Old October 25th 07, 02:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

just bob kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote:

I've been putting single drives in a USB or firewaire unit for a long time. These boxes are cheap, like $30, right? So
I want to find me a box I can stick four disks in for say $100.

Do you have any suggestions for vendors?

Nope, I just use what turns up on ebay etc.

If I didn't build it myself.... I've been looking at the Buffalo Quattro External TB unit at $800 But I should be
able to build my own for less. Do you agree?

Yes, but the dedicated boxes with say an
esata connection cost a lot less than that.

Building your own does give you a lot more flexibility
tho and doesnt necessarily cost much if anything if
you use obsolete hardware that isnt going to be used.

Old November 7th 07, 07:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
just bob

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
just bob kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote:

I've been putting single drives in a USB or firewaire unit for a long
time. These boxes are cheap, like $30, right? So I want to find me a box
I can stick four disks in for say $100.

Do you have any suggestions for vendors?

Nope, I just use what turns up on ebay etc.

If I didn't build it myself.... I've been looking at the Buffalo Quattro
External TB unit at $800 But I should be able to build my own for less.
Do you agree?

Yes, but the dedicated boxes with say an
esata connection cost a lot less than that.

Building your own does give you a lot more flexibility
tho and doesnt necessarily cost much if anything if
you use obsolete hardware that isnt going to be used.

Good ideas. Unfortunately my current laptops have only USB and firewire
connections. I could get an esata PCMCIA card but I've not had good luck
with USB2 and firewire PCMCIA cards so I'm reluctant to try one.

Best Sata Hard drives? job Overclocking 2 July 7th 06 03:02 AM
sata hard drives not being seen [email protected] Gigabyte Motherboards 0 December 15th 05 11:23 AM
SATA & IDE hard drives ab Asus Motherboards 2 November 3rd 05 11:45 AM
Sata hard drives mike General Hardware 2 February 23rd 04 12:12 AM
SATA Hard Drives Scott Dell Computers 5 January 12th 04 06:55 AM