Slower Than Dell

Old August 8th 07, 02:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Greg[_7_]

Default Slower Than Dell

I ordered a Vostro from their small business dept. on the 1st. 8 days later
it was still in production. My credit card hadn't been charged for the
product. I read one of the posts in the forum that there was a shortage of
LCD displays (posted by a dell rep.). I went ahead and cancelled it. I may
try again later this month. Anyone else seeing a lag?

I was kind of looking at the Asus C90 as well. Comes with a 512 meg version
of the Nvidia 8600GT Card. Although the fans stick out of the back of it
like duel exhaust pipes. The processor is a desktop core 2 instead. So the
batter life may not be as well.

Old August 8th 07, 04:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 13:27:38 GMT, "Greg" wrote:

I ordered a Vostro from their small business dept. on the 1st. 8 days later
it was still in production. My credit card hadn't been charged for the
product. I read one of the posts in the forum that there was a shortage of
LCD displays (posted by a dell rep.). I went ahead and cancelled it. I may
try again later this month. Anyone else seeing a lag?

I was kind of looking at the Asus C90 as well. Comes with a 512 meg version
of the Nvidia 8600GT Card. Although the fans stick out of the back of it
like duel exhaust pipes. The processor is a desktop core 2 instead. So the
batter life may not be as well.

Just curious -- why did you cancel if you're thinking about
re-ordering? You'll have to go through the waiting period again.

The Vostro and Asus that you are talking about are completely
different laptops for different needs. Do you want to use a laptop as
a gaming machine or for video editing -- what do you plan on using it
for?

If the processor is a desktop core 2, there is no may about it.
Battery life will not be as well. I just Googled it and people have
noted low battery life and heat but it has generally good reviews as
one of the first "upgradeable laptops".

The C90 is said in many reviews to be a "gaming notebook" while the
Vostro as I understand it is a business productivity laptop. It seems
that they are geared towards different users.
Old August 8th 07, 05:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
just bob

I can only say every time we order any computer from Dell, most recently
D420 and D630, it takes more than a week.

. net...

Old August 8th 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brad[_2_]

I order my D9200 on a Saturday and I got it the next Friday thats just 5
business days....

just bob wrote:
I can only say every time we order any computer from Dell, most recently
D420 and D630, it takes more than a week.

. net...

Old August 8th 07, 06:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Greg[_7_]

I might re-order in hopes that I may get a better price. Or they may
introduce the nvidia 8600GT with 512 meg or ram instead of the 256 meg that
they currently offer.

I plan on using the notebook for AutoCAD, basic web surfing and some
video/photo editing.

I've also read about the upgradable features of the Asus. Interesting.

Old August 8th 07, 07:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Greg[_7_]

I've ordered from them before too. And they are usually pretty quick. It
would be nice to have some info fed to the consumer as to why the order is
slow. I didn't order any option that stated that it would delay the order.

"just bob" kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote in message
I can only say every time we order any computer from Dell, most recently
D420 and D630, it takes more than a week.

. net...

Old August 8th 07, 08:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:58:57 GMT, "Greg" wrote:

I might re-order in hopes that I may get a better price. Or they may
introduce the nvidia 8600GT with 512 meg or ram instead of the 256 meg that
they currently offer.

I plan on using the notebook for AutoCAD, basic web surfing and some
video/photo editing.

I've also read about the upgradable features of the Asus. Interesting.

It sounds like some of the features would benefit from the higher-end
specs you mention. You might want something more powerful than the
Vostro line for video editing and AutoCAD.
Old August 8th 07, 11:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jonathan Eales

I ordered a new DELL Inspiron 531 desktop without monitor on the 2nd July
and it still hasn't arrived. Delayed three times and latest delivery date
is 13th August. I do not have any confidence that it will have be delivered
then either.

They've taken the money for it from my credit card though when it went into
'Production'.

. net...