Question on Compaq StorageWorks RAID Array 4100

Old June 30th 06, 11:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Question on Compaq StorageWorks RAID Array 4100

I have a question about the Compaq StorageWorks RAID Array 4100, as
someone I know is selling one, but I'm not sure about exactly how it all
hangs together.

I'm interested in building up a Network Attached Storage device. I know
the 4100 has 12 slots, a smart array controller, and a fibre channel
interface. Does this mean that if I plug it into the fibre channel
connector on my D-Link DES 3624i switch, I have my NAS device, or does
it still need to be connected to a dedicated server running samba (for
example) to make it available on the network?

I don't know anything about this device so thought I'd ask.
Old June 30th 06, 02:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"." wrote in message
om.au...
I have a question about the Compaq StorageWorks RAID Array 4100, as
someone I know is selling one, but I'm not sure about exactly how it all
hangs together.

I'm interested in building up a Network Attached Storage device. I know
the 4100 has 12 slots, a smart array controller, and a fibre channel
interface. Does this mean that if I plug it into the fibre channel
connector on my D-Link DES 3624i switch, I have my NAS device, or does
it still need to be connected to a dedicated server running samba (for
example) to make it available on the network?

I don't know anything about this device so thought I'd ask.

There are lots of threads in this group that discuss using those RA4x00
devices.

You cannot connect this to an ethernet switch to get a NAS.

You must connect this to a host server, preferrably using a StorageWorks
FCAL adapter (32 or 64bit). You will nee fibre cable with SC connectors on
each side. You can have more than 1 system connected to it if you use a FCAL
hub or switch between the Chassis and your hosts.

The array controller is configured using the conventional ACU from the
smartstart CD, or from within a supported OS.

- LC

Old July 1st 06, 05:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

You can still use the storageworks units with a scsi raid card attached to
your server. Then it could be shared / seen as a conventional drive on the
server. (Some of the storageworks units havea fiber interface, some are
straight scsi.)
A thought,
Phil

"." wrote in message
om.au...
In article ,
says...

There are lots of threads in this group that discuss using those RA4x00
devices.

You cannot connect this to an ethernet switch to get a NAS.

You must connect this to a host server, preferrably using a StorageWorks
FCAL adapter (32 or 64bit). You will nee fibre cable with SC connectors

on
each side. You can have more than 1 system connected to it if you use a

FCAL
hub or switch between the Chassis and your hosts.

The array controller is configured using the conventional ACU from the
smartstart CD, or from within a supported OS.

- LC

Ah so. Thanks, that clears that up - I won't be playing with one of
those then :0

Old July 3rd 06, 07:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"." wrote in
I have a question about the Compaq StorageWorks RAID Array 4100, as
someone I know is selling one, but I'm not sure about exactly how it all
hangs together.

I'm interested in building up a Network Attached Storage device. I know
the 4100 has 12 slots, a smart array controller, and a fibre channel
interface. Does this mean that if I plug it into the fibre channel
connector on my D-Link DES 3624i switch, I have my NAS device, or does
it still need to be connected to a dedicated server running samba (for
example) to make it available on the network?

I don't know anything about this device so thought I'd ask.

A NAS (Network attached Storage) needs a NAS Head server as a front end.
It's basically just a file server with a lot of disk storage attached, and a
NAS server often does not run anything other than file server services
(Which is where Windows 2003 Storage Server comes into its own - cut down
version of Win2003)

If you can dispense with the server and attach it straight to the network,
then it's a SAN (Storage Area Network).

The RA4100 being a JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) device, it does not have SAN
intelligence and needs a NAS head to be used as networked storage.