"help" Linux(slack) On ML370 Smart-2dh

Old November 16th 04, 07:29 PM
misfit

Default "help" Linux(slack) On ML370 Smart-2dh

Im desperatly trying to get at least some sort of Linux distro on my compaq
ML-370 SMART-2DH Array Controller , Ive been working on this problem for a
week and have been through alot of the compaq how-to sites, fedora makes
it the closet {hangs on megaraid) but id really like to get slack 10 on
this thing, I did however get windoze 2000 server on it without a problem
so I know at least everything works and is configured

Old November 17th 04, 05:29 PM
VinceV

"misfit" wrote in message alkaboutcomputing.com...
Im desperatly trying to get at least some sort of Linux distro on my compaq
ML-370 SMART-2DH Array Controller , Ive been working on this problem for a
week and have been through alot of the compaq how-to sites, fedora makes
it the closet {hangs on megaraid) but id really like to get slack 10 on
this thing, I did however get windoze 2000 server on it without a problem
so I know at least everything works and is configured

a couple of questions:

1) Have you ran SmartStart and prepped the system and disks (the array
needs to be defined)?

2) Is the distro reporting the right amount of memory?

I have never attempted a slackware install so I can't deal with the
particulars there but I have installed freeBSD and Gentoo on a variety
of Proliants (1850s and 2500s) using smart 2P and smart 3200
controllers.

These controllers use the cpqarray drivers which can be a bit quirky
in the way they name the dives.

For example, using fdisk to partition the drive you use fdisk
/dev/ida/c0d0/disk for the first logical drive, fdisk
/dev/ida/c0d1/disk for the second logical drive. (sometimes its
/dev/ida/c0d0)

In the fstab file you use /dev/ida/c0d0/partX to reference the
partitions

In grub.conf the reference to the root partition becomes (assuming it
is partition #4) /dev/ida/c0d0p4

I partition my drive as follows
part1 /boot
part2 swap
part3 Compaq Utilities
part4 /

The gentoo forums (forums.gentoo.org) have several good threads that
discuss how to install gentoo with a variety of Compaq array
controllers. That info was useful for my freeBSD installs too.

** Shameless plug for Gentoo **
The gentoo portage system makes short work of keeping your system up
to date. emerge is a great tool.