(bad) trip report

Old January 8th 04, 10:05 PM
ray hartman

Default (bad) trip report

Gents:

Trying my first buildout from mobo/CPU combo and separate case.
'Pre-tested' Ga-7VT600/Barton2600+ , and ANTEC400. Legacy CT-mx400 Vidcard
and Samsung 256 DDR333 RAMstick.

For initial test no drives etc were connected. Ground_strap used
consistently while assembling components.

After assembling combo & case, and connecting surge_suppressor, monitor,
mouse, kboard & sound I turned it on.
Got a quiet POP! No smoke or smell. All fans started turning then quickly
stopped. No display or boot. Retrys give no display or fans.

I am not feeling good about this. Comments appreciated. My first idea is
to remove RAM & Vidcard to
see if CPU/case fans work. Then recheck F-panel pins ... I did take some
care initially to get them right.
If no positive result from these checks, maybe I damaged the mobo during
install, though the (6) brass (case) spacers lined up perfectly with mobo
screw-holes
Old January 8th 04, 11:43 PM
jpsga

Have bad experience with ANTEC TruePOWER. One failure was attended by a
quiet snap.
JPS
newsan.2004.01.08.21.05.49.413057@SPAMBEGONEqwes t.net...

Old January 9th 04, 04:34 AM
Tim

If you need to check a power supply there are several websites showing
voltages off of each pin of the various plugs of the power supply.
You'll need a voltmeter. An ATX power supply has to have a load on it
before it will start. Directions on testing the voltages generally
tells one to use a resistor of a certain ohm and wattage rating.
Instead, I just hook up an old hard drive and grounded the pin necessary
to start the power supply. Worked great. Was able to test voltages
without a problem.

Old January 9th 04, 05:36 AM
ray hartman

jpsga wrote:

Have bad experience with ANTEC TruePOWER. One failure was attended by a
quiet snap.
JPS

Tim:

Many thanks to you, Jason & JP for the PS comments: Tonight I did the
drill, but came up empty:

000) inspect mobo caps & Inds for scortching etc. ... they all look fresh
and shiny
00) remove RAM & Vidcard ... still nothing
0) remove CMOS battery for 15 minutes ... still nothing

Now for the PS:

1) unplug PS from mobo and short green -- black. Both PS fans spin up
im,mediately and keep spinning.
2) remove mobo from case, plug in PS ... nothing. Neither PS nor CPU fan
spins.

Now what WAS my guess:

3) carefully inspecting mobo back for scrapes, gouges, nicks or dents I find no
damage whatsoever. No broken mobo circuit AKAIK.

Which leaves .... ? Have I missed any homebrew proceedure to run on the
mobo? Otherwise, considering in-good-faith that the mobo/CPU combo were
pre-tested ... looks like a PS problem. The ANTEC can't push 400W into the
mobo no matter WHAT the shorting-test shows.

I don't happen to have a voltmeter: maybe it's time to see if NewEGG.coms
RMA policy is as good as its reputation.

Old January 9th 04, 05:38 AM
Jason Ash

"ray hartman" waxed eloquent in
[...]

Just recently I went through a similar problem. Bought a new GA-7N400
Pro 2, put in my existing XP2400+, etc. Got Win2K Pro loaded up on the
RAID array, then shut down to connect my data drive to the IDE
controller.

Put the power cord back in my power supply, tried to turn it back on,
nothing. No POST beeps, nothing. Only thing that happened when pushing
the power button was the fans in the system would briefly spin up, then
quit. Pulled everything out, tried it in my wifes PC, CPU, RAM, video,
all good. Figured the board died.

Took the board back to the store I got it from (only paid about $10 more
than Newegg), they only exchange. They took the board in back to test.
Came back a few minutes later, the board was working!?!? Even took me
back to show me.

Took it home, set it on the static bag, put in the CPU, video, ram, and
connected up the power supply. Same problem. Hooked it up to the PS in
my wifes box, powered right up.

Power supply that failed? An Antec TruePower 550. Luckily I tracked
down the reciept, and Antec offers a 3 year warranty, so I shipped it
back to them. Right now I'm using the 350w PS from my wifes PC.

Seriously peeved me off too.

Jason A.
--
-------------------------------------
Reply to for SPAM only

All others use:
m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk

Remove spaces to send
Thank you
-------------------------------------
Old January 9th 04, 07:15 PM
jpsga

I did have one other problem in regards to this symptom. On a cheap case the
cheap ON/OFF switch would get stuck closed. The power would come up then
turn off.
newsan.2004.01.09.04.36.36.506660@SPAMBEGONEqwes t.net...

Old January 10th 04, 02:58 AM
ray hartman

jpsga wrote:

[...]

JP:

Got new 400W PS. Connected ... mobo/CPU still dead.
Old January 10th 04, 04:41 AM
Tim

My power supply had one of the voltages higher than it was suppose to
be. While the machine would boot, it had problems with constant
crashing. Check the voltages and make sure each is within the +/-
parameters for each voltage.

Jason Ash wrote:
"ray hartman" waxed eloquent in
newsan.2004.01.08.21.05.49.413057@SPAMBEGONEqwes t.net:

snip

Old January 11th 04, 12:02 AM
ray hartman

Jason Ash wrote:
[...]

BigT:

Don't have a voltmeter, but wish I did. I'm more hep now, to the equipment
needed to build-out from parts. I had
figured that several successful build-outs from supplied "barebones" units
[ and THAT was getting to be a bore ] was a fair preparation, but that
assumption is just not so.

Even a prudent choice of supplier and quality parts is NO assurance stuff
will just work when plugged together. I'm wondering now whether the
initial failure rate for a parts-built computer is more like 50% than 5% ?

Trip to Disney mickey Overclocking 0 November 28th 04 09:10 PM
Trip to Disney mickey Abit Motherboards 0 November 28th 04 08:09 PM
Trip to Disney mickey Overclocking AMD Processors 0 November 28th 04 08:06 PM
Trip to Disney mickey Homebuilt PC's 0 November 28th 04 05:50 PM
Trip to Disney mickey Overclocking AMD Processors 0 November 28th 04 05:45 PM