5600 vs 5600 ultra

Old February 14th 04, 01:32 AM
Steve

Default 5600 vs 5600 ultra

I am just wondering what the difference is between the 5600 & the 5600 ultra
besides memory speed and RAMDAC speed. I have the asylum model of the 5600
with 256MB of RAM.
THX in advance.

Steve

Old February 14th 04, 04:50 AM
Darthy

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:32:01 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

I am just wondering what the difference is between the 5600 & the 5600 ultra
besides memory speed and RAMDAC speed. I have the asylum model of the 5600
with 256MB of RAM.
THX in advance.

Should ask before ya buy...

256mb 5600 is no faster than 128mb version... a little slower than
5600Ultra.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...ournament_2003

BTW, try out the UT2004 demo at www.unreal.com - clickon UT2003 -
click on big UT2004 DEMO graphic - includes 5 maps... from the
console in the game (press ~ key) type in STAT FPS to see your
performance.

Report back... if ya want

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old February 14th 04, 06:20 AM
Steve

What about overclocking this card? Would it then approach the Ultra's speed?
I am soon getting a Dell Dimension XPS which is coming with a stock 5200
card and I am going to put the 5600 in it.

Old February 14th 04, 10:16 AM
Darthy

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:20:25 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

What about overclocking this card? Would it then approach the Ultra's speed?
I am soon getting a Dell Dimension XPS which is coming with a stock 5200
card and I am going to put the 5600 in it.

Perhaps...

Why get a Dell? Paying for a card that you're gonna pull out?

Spend less on a better computer - put money into better card.

Old February 14th 04, 11:33 AM
Steve

Well I was going to have them (Dell) put the ATI 9800XT in the new system,
but it jacked up the price beyound what my wife and I had budgeted for a new
computer. As far getting a Dell it's the only company that my wife and I
trust. We have had bad experiences either personally or professionally with
the other major computer manufacturers. So we opt for Dell. I know alot of
people who don't like Dell but I guess it's just a matter of personal
preference.

Steve

Old February 14th 04, 01:34 PM
Xeon

See,
This is when it helps to have the knowledgeSP to build your own system...
I myself would NEVER buy a system from ANY major manufacturer... as things
get to proprietary, and fixed. It is so much easier to just build your own,
that way you get the mobo you want, the memory you want the video you want,
and the drives....... granted waranty chasing is a hastle if you have a
problem, but if you go with good stuff..... you shouldn't need the warranty
and it should go out dated b4 the warranty expires just my humble
opinion......
And, if ya dont have the confidence to build your own... give me a call
I'll do it for ya!!!!!

{SFU}xeon

Old February 16th 04, 10:49 AM
Darthy

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:33:57 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

Well I was going to have them (Dell) put the ATI 9800XT in the new system,
but it jacked up the price beyound what my wife and I had budgeted for a new
computer. As far getting a Dell it's the only company that my wife and I
trust. We have had bad experiences either personally or professionally with
the other major computer manufacturers. So we opt for Dell. I know alot of
people who don't like Dell but I guess it's just a matter of personal
preference.

Dell doesn't actually build their computers anymore - for years its
some Chinese company who designed and builds them to Dells price
points. Nothing more. Didya know that Dell and Gateway notebooks
get farted out of the same Chinese factory

The 9800xt is not worth it... the 9800Pro is almost $200 now... as are
the 5900s.

So... you could save some money, buy an AMD setup from a good company
such as Alienware, northwest, and a few OTHER gamer companies and get
the video card... and THEY sell AMD setups, knocks off about $150 off
the price for the upper end.

Old February 14th 04, 09:55 PM
llamaboiz

Ok, never read most of the posts cuz the word, Dell, stopped me... Dude,
dont get a Dell or any other teir1 company rig... just go to some boutique
get a price quote on a custom, take that to compusa and have them beat the
price. Only companys to get pre-fab rigs are Voodoo/Falcon
North-West/OCSystems thats it... didnt forget, dont even get Alienware,
build your own thats faster/cheeper/a real case *with real vents*...

Doh, anywayz you should've thought about the 5700Ultra DDRII VIVO... oh
well..

Old February 16th 04, 01:18 PM
Steve

Okay after reading all these helpful posts, I called Dell and told them to
put an ATI Radeon 9800XT video card in my new system. After reading reviews
on both the 9800XT and the Geforce FX 5950 ultra, I feel this will be in my
best interest. THX to all who responded!

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message news:lUeXb.31493$uV3.54411@attbi_s51...
I am just wondering what the difference is between the 5600 & the 5600

ultra
besides memory speed and RAMDAC speed. I have the asylum model of the 5600
with 256MB of RAM.
THX in advance.

Steve

5600 Ultra vs 5200 Ultra Chris Wall Nvidia Videocards 2 November 18th 03 08:52 AM
FX 5600 Ultra Helion Nvidia Videocards 3 October 14th 03 03:41 PM
Is this a 5600 ultra or not ? Rob Nvidia Videocards 5 August 20th 03 04:13 PM
PNY Verto GeForce FX 5600 Ultra Review Mike Nvidia Videocards 0 August 16th 03 03:21 AM
GF FX 5600 Ultra in exchange for GF4 4600 A.C. Nvidia Videocards 4 August 5th 03 11:45 PM