Just curious..

Old December 4th 03, 02:41 AM
Roger

Default Just curious..

What speed increase could I expect by switching from a GF1 with 32MB DDR
RAM to a "plain" FX5700 with 128?

And would the graphics detail improve at the same resolution in current =
games?

TIA.

Roger.

Old December 4th 03, 02:56 AM
Dan

Sort of like going from a go-cart to a formula one racing cart.
Or like trading a tricycle in for a ten speed. Do you see where I am going
with this?

Old December 4th 03, 03:21 AM
Roger

I thought I'd get an answer like this. But what I mean is like.. What =
speed increase
can I realisticly expect in games? How many times the frame rate if you =
will..

I compared relevant systems in the MadOnion database and it showed only =
50%
increase in points or so.. I am comparing two different versions, with =
different
level of detail, so that should mean alot, but how much exactly? If the =
2003 version
is, say twise as complex as 2001 then the FX5600 is only 4 times faster =
than GF1?
I was expecting a much bigger jump I guess. Please correct me if i'm =
wrong.

Roger.

"Dan" wrote in message =
Sort of like going from a go-cart to a formula one racing cart.
Or like trading a tricycle in for a ten speed. Do you see where I am =

going
with this?
=20

Old December 4th 03, 03:58 AM
Helion

"Roger" wrote in message

I compared relevant systems in the MadOnion database and it showed only 50%
increase in points or so.. I am comparing two different versions, with

different
level of detail, so that should mean alot, but how much exactly? If the

2003 version
is, say twise as complex as 2001 then the FX5600 is only 4 times faster

than GF1?
I was expecting a much bigger jump I guess. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Think of it this way... why are you looking to replace your GF1? I would
assume because "newer" games are dogging it. This is because older cards
are limited by their lower clock speeds and DX compatibility (In your case
DX7) as newer games use, say DX 8 or 9 coding. Your older GF1 doesnt
support it at the video card level but renders the image using the CPU which
then relays it to the card resulting in slower performace. This is why
3dMark2001 skips the 4th game test and the shader tests.... your GF1 doesnt
support it at the card level. When I first went from a DX7 card to a DX8.1
card for example I was like "wow". I didnt realize how much detail I had
been missing with my DX8 games. Currently have a FX5600 Ultra and couldnt
be happier for what I paid for it. You mention "the FX5600 is only 4 times
faster than GF1?" that is a 400% increase over 4 years with much better
detail.... If only my pay went up at that rate.

Old December 5th 03, 12:24 AM
Roger

"Helion" wrote in message =

[...]

You do have a point

Thanks alot to you and the rest for good answers! It's comforting to =
know
that it's well worth the upgrade.

The games like Max Payne 2 still run OK in 640x480 resolution on GF1 but =
I would
prefer to double it to get the details back. The FSAA on this card is =
just useless.

All in all the PC isn't state of the art anymore so I have to get it =
renewed bit by bit,
and I'll start with the gfx card. I think the CPU (PIII / 1,2 GHZ) =
should handle it
well enough till I get the opportunety to get a new mobo, ram etc..

Again, thanks.
Old December 14th 03, 07:11 PM
Kanda' Jalen Eirsie

Greetings...

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 03:21:21 +0100, "Roger" wrote:

I thought I'd get an answer like this. But what I mean is like.. What speed increase
can I realisticly expect in games? How many times the frame rate if you will..

Your milage may vary...

But his answer was correct - in your case- with the info you have so far provided, the
answer is entirely subjective...

The first thing you will notice are all the really nice textures and colors you have
never seen before! Then you will be amazed at the incredible framerate and smoothness of
everything. The fog actually looks wispy and foggy, the lighting is subdued and looks
strangely more real.... Your spine will tingle in scenes that you had before started
yawning in... Your games will all suddenly become NEW again...

Then you will notice that your aiming sucks, and for awhile, you will play like a newbie
because all your skills have to be relearned to cope with all the new information and the
faster framerate. You will actually get lost on levels you know well... Because
everything looks different, better, and you won't have the same visual cues you had
before....

Like he said, going from a go-cart to a formula 1 racer... You may know how to drive,
and you may be a great driver in a go-cart, but driving a F1 is not the same thing!

Relish the experience... It's a neat thing... A real live thrill ride when you first
upgrade.. Then the new wears off... 6 months later - you start thinking of upgrading
again...

It's kind of like crack...

ll
Kanda'

SPAM-KILLER- If you really want to contact me, then -
kandajeatbresnandotnet

You figure it out...

Old December 4th 03, 04:12 AM
Darkfalz

"Roger" wrote in message
What speed increase could I expect by switching from a GF1 with 32MB DDR
RAM to a "plain" FX5700 with 128?

That depends on whether you have a CPU of the same era as your GF1, if that
is the case then don't expect much better performance at all. The only
difference is you'll be able to run at higher res with FSAA and things like
that on, but your CPU will be a fat bottleneck.

Old December 5th 03, 12:28 AM
Roger

"Darkfalz" wrote in message =
"Roger" wrote in message

What speed increase could I expect by switching from a GF1 with 32MB =

DDR
RAM to a "plain" FX5700 with 128?

=20
That depends on whether you have a CPU of the same era as your GF1, if =

that
is the case then don't expect much better performance at all. The only
difference is you'll be able to run at higher res with FSAA and things =

like
that on, but your CPU will be a fat bottleneck.

How will a PIII / 1,2GHZ handle it? Or do I need something closer to the
double of that.
Old December 5th 03, 02:12 AM
Darkfalz

"Roger" wrote in message

"Darkfalz" wrote in message
"Roger" wrote in message

What speed increase could I expect by switching from a GF1 with 32MB DDR
RAM to a "plain" FX5700 with 128?

That depends on whether you have a CPU of the same era as your GF1, if

that
is the case then don't expect much better performance at all. The only
difference is you'll be able to run at higher res with FSAA and things

like
that on, but your CPU will be a fat bottleneck.

How will a PIII / 1,2GHZ handle it? Or do I need something closer to the
double of that.

Dude, a P3 1.2 GHz is not NEARLY enough for that card. A FX 5200 would max
that piece of ****.

But like I said, if you got the FX 5700 then you would be able to run all
your games with 4xFSAA and 8 tap ansio at the same framerates you're getting
now.