Help! Cannot format C. Boot from bootdisk. A:\Format c: bad command

Old July 29th 06, 02:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Default Help! Cannot format C. Boot from bootdisk. A:\Format c: bad command

i created a bootdisk form windows 98SE of the computer.

I want to format c drive.

Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad command
after typing format c:

Please help!

Old July 29th 06, 02:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

You do not have a proper bootdisk there, probably only the lame one produced by
Windows 95/98/ME during software installation.

Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the software to create the boot disk of your
choice. Make the disk, then boot with it and try to format again... Ben Myers

Old July 29th 06, 05:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Jonny

No shift. No F anything. A bootable diskette takes you directly to a
command prompt.
A bootable diskette (copy system files with windows explorer) does not
contain the file fdisk.exe, whereas, a startup diskette does.
--
Jonny
oups.com...

Old July 31st 06, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Earl F. Parrish

"Jonny" wrote in message
No shift. No F anything. A bootable diskette takes you directly to a
command prompt.
A bootable diskette (copy system files with windows explorer) does not
contain the file fdisk.exe, whereas, a startup diskette does.
--
Jonny

It is not fdisk.exe he wants. It is format.com. Bad command means that the
file was not found in the path. Format.com is found on the startup disk
created with Windows 98SE. It is loaded into a RAM drive. It is not loaded
if you choose Minimal Boot. If you do not make a choice, you go to the Help
File. Shift-F5 takes you to the Command Prompt within the Help File. The
underlying operating system is the Minimal Boot. You have to Choose CD
Support/No CD Support to get the fully operational MS-DOS.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Old July 29th 06, 01:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Shift-F5 actually is for Safe mode Command Prompt. Try using the arrow
to select "Command Prompt", pressing "Enter", then selecting "Start
computer with CD support".

Ben

Old July 29th 06, 02:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Somebody is impersonating me, or maybe there are two mes? ... Ben Myers

Old July 29th 06, 07:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
PCR

Have you sat at an XP-machine? That could split you in two!

Put the Startup Diskette in, & turn on the computer, to boot it. But, if it's already on, just Ctrl-Alt-Del.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,