6800 GS benchmark in Far Cry

Old January 6th 06, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default 6800 GS benchmark in Far Cry

I used the HardwareOC benchmarking tool for Far Cry to test a new
6800 GS 256 pci-e in a Dell Dimension 9100 with all the bells and
whistles, 1 gig ram, 160 gig sata. driver is 81.95. OS WinXP SP2.

Far Cry is fresh install and patched 1.3, 1.31, 1.33

Here are 3 Demo tests that I ran:

Demo: PC Games .. Pier level. Max detail. 1024x768. Default
shader. AA 4x. AF 1.

results: Ave FPS 53.41 and the graphics looked great

Demo: HardwareOC .. Archive level. Same default settings

results: Black walls, Black ceilings, artifacts and
primatives
on floor. Walls disappearing and see through.
Ave FPS 81.11

Demo: PC Games .. Pier level. Default settings except I enabled
HDR at level 1 ( lowest )

results: Horrible garrish reds and blues, and screen mostly
whited
out. Ave FPS 48.48

Finally, these results held visually when I mapped to the levels in the
actual game. The "outside environments" looked and played great. All
the "inside buildings environments" looked awful with black walls and
ceilings. See through walls. Disappearing walls. And when I dropped
the console and enabled HDR ( AA OFF ), I got weird psycho-dellic
colors. So .. got a clue ?? I sure don't.

johns

Old January 6th 06, 06:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Oh yeah. I got banned at nv news for daring to criticize an nVidia
6800 GS. All of you run right out and buy this card. You are going
to really like it :-)

johns

Old January 6th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I have no idea, and I'm just kidding about buying a 6800 GS.
Don't misunderstand me. I think this 6800 GS is severely
crippled, and the commercial nVidia reviewers are ticked
that I am posting these crappy results about their new
POS video card. I stand by my tests. This card really
craps out when the going gets tough. And if you want to
see an even worse 6800, try one of the 128 meg cards.
It will give screen pauses at door openings of several
seconds. And it will cause screen stuttering every time
you move the view even just a little bit. Also, I just ran
the Archive benchmark again, with the details set to
MINIMUM. The benchmark ran fine with no black walls
or dropouts. Of course the graphics looked crappy, and
the water was a dull foggy blue. But who's being picky?

johns

Old January 6th 06, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"johns" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have no idea, and I'm just kidding about buying a 6800 GS.
Don't misunderstand me. I think this 6800 GS is severely
crippled, and the commercial nVidia reviewers are ticked
that I am posting these crappy results about their new
POS video card. I stand by my tests. This card really
craps out when the going gets tough. And if you want to
see an even worse 6800, try one of the 128 meg cards.
It will give screen pauses at door openings of several
seconds. And it will cause screen stuttering every time
you move the view even just a little bit. Also, I just ran
the Archive benchmark again, with the details set to
MINIMUM. The benchmark ran fine with no black walls
or dropouts. Of course the graphics looked crappy, and
the water was a dull foggy blue. But who's being picky?

johns

I have a 6800GS with AMD 3500 and 1GB ram.
I score over 5700 in 3DMark 05.
I can play half life 2 at 1600x1200 with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic
filtering on full.
Call of duty 2 (yes two) at 1024 x 768 with everything maxed out.
Need for Speed MW at 1280x1024 with everything on full.

I think this card is great value for £150 and I am chuffed to bits with its
performance.

SlicK

Old January 6th 06, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I got the agp version but it only uped my gpu score from 7269 -8514 over my
6600gt I dont know if thats alot or not.

"Slick the Original" wrote in
message ...

ups.com...

Old January 6th 06, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

And here we have a fibber-McGee. There's no way you are running
CoD2 at that rez with AA and AF maxed. You, sir, must work for
nVidia. Pay close attention to this hype fellers. They are trying to
sell you crap in a declining PC video market. That GS is a dog.

johns

Old January 7th 06, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I'm testing the pci-e card in a Dell Dimension 9100. P4/64 with 1 gig
ram
and hyperthreading. I think it is a good system. Certainly new.

johns

Old January 8th 06, 08:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On 1/6/2006 9:29 AM johns brightened our day with:

[...]

Far Cry was running fine for me, then I ran the Hardware OC benchmark
and now it's completely ****ed up. So I think the benchmark program
screwed up the game settings.
Far Cry ****es me off, it's a so-so fun game but every time I install it
it gets whacked out. I have said a half a dozen times that I was going
to uninstall it and never install it again. Hope this time I hold on
and don't get enticed by some new little added feature that I want to
check out.

--
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have
answers which might be wrong"

Richard P. Feynman

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com