Epson sucks

Old January 16th 04, 05:25 AM
Ayaz Ahmed Khan

"Eyron" typed:

Long time Epson user here.
I had a 870 and a 890
clogs, clogs ,clog with both oem and 3rd party inks

Now have a canon i950.
Better prints.
No clogs.
No color casts.
Easy to refil.

I wouldn't say. My ESC 480 loyally served me for over four years,
given that I had used, for the most part, average quality ink
re-fills.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan

Yours Forever in, | Webmaster,
Cyberspace. | http://fast-ce.org/

Old January 16th 04, 09:55 AM
Martin

I have an 890 and although I have to do the occassional clean cycle, I have
not really had any clogs as such. The most important piece of advice is to
make sure that you turn the printer off via its power off button and not via
a power strip or any other method.

Martin

.cable.rogers.com...

Old January 16th 04, 09:41 PM
Old Nick

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 02:29:02 +0000, Kennedy McEwen
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Stop being so high and mighty and show me in the manual where it
details the troubles people are getting with their printers, or that
if you clog the heads, the printer is toast, or that if the ink runs
out in one colour you cannot print, or refill the colour.

My last printer (an HP) was cheaper to run and more idiot proof than
this one. It also cost a lot more. It did have some problems, beyond
my knowledge or control, that made me try Epson. So far I have not
been on a winner as far as I can tell.

Even then, show me a place that will let me read the manual in the
first place, before I buy the printer.

The manufacturers' requirements in these cases seem largely to have a
printer that lasts one set of cartridges, unless you are very lucky,
or bugger the first one, then learn all the tricks, then buy the same
model and get it right, and get lucky again.

Comparing cars with printers is dangerous, for various reasons:

- One is that cars are much more complex, and operate in a far wider
and more agressive environment, than most printers. They also have
tiny tolerances, and these days have tiny nozzles and such. But they
keep going in the vast majority of cases, under often terrible
conditions.

- Another is that I, and many, many other people, have at some time or
another grossly abused motor vehicles and other machinery, and it has
gone on going with the absolute minimum of maintenance. These printers
are not going _near_ that. Even with such foul treatment, most
failures have coime later rather than sooner. With printers, this is
not so.

- any motor vehicle is a major investment, upon which I depend for my
convenience, my work, and often ny life. I expect it to need some
work. I place a printer about on a par with my vacuum cleaner as far
as importance in my life. That is the level of care it should get, and
the level of failure it should have (that is, easily repairable) if I
neglect to clean the filter or change the bag. If the maintenace and
care of my car, in time or money, started to get to a point where it
vastly overshadowed the usefulenss or price of the vehicle, I would be
****ed off.

- the difference in cost per kilometre between good oil and heating
oil........oh sorry, you mean _running_ it on heating oil. I have not
done the equivalent of that to my printer. I have run it on ink sold
as being suitable for the purpose. It was cheaper, but so it damned
well should be, at the cost of original stuff.
- in reply I say that if the first tank of petrol cost half as much
as the car, so that fueling the car overran the capital and other
costs in the first few trips, then people would be asking about
heating oil mods, believe me!

So leave SUVs out of it. It is not a parallel in any useful way.

I have done nothing _to_ this printer to make it stop working, except
apparently to not get it _exactly_ right at all times. It should be
tougher than that.

You can run any procedure you like with any piece of equipment you own,
but if it doesn't comply with the manufacturers requirements then,
sooner or later, it will leave you high and dry. Try filling your SUV
with cheap heating oil - or just ignore the service requirements - and
see where it leaves you. No matter how idiot proof they make the
printers, there's always a better idiot out there!

These printers are far from idiot proof.

I resent the implication that I am an idiot. It's the sort of thing
jerks say on these groups.
************************************************** ** sorry

I was frightened by the idea of a conspiracy that was
causing it all.
But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan,
really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?
Old January 16th 04, 09:41 PM
Old Nick

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 02:50:48 GMT, "Safetymom123"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Yes. I left my printer on. Oh woe is me! No I did not realise this.
No I did not know that I should not print one page at a time because
this uses heaps of ink by cleaning. One page at a time is how I
usually print!

Maybe the amount of cleaning has not changed. But in that case the
tank sizes sure have, without lowering the price. I know my HP did not
cost as much to run, by a long chalk.

Does it _say_ all that in the manual?

According to you oh so perfect ....people, I am an idiot, or a fool,
because I did not baby my day-to-day, used once per week maybe, cheap
_printer_. I am a casual user, who is rather surprised by all the fuss
to run....a printer. That puts me in common with a hell of a lot of
people as far as I can see. This thing should not need to be that
bloody hard to keep in order.

Whether I turned it off or not, cleaning was using up at least as much
ink as printing for me as a casual user. It still got clogged. It
makes the cost per page a joke, clogged or not. Maybe it was clogged
because I used after-market ink, as has been suggested. Maybe it would
have clogged anyway. In any event, if the originals did not cost such
ridiculous amounts, then maybe aftermarket ripoffs would not be
around.

sheesh!

I have new Epsons and old ones and never had a problem with clogging on any
of them. I keep the printer turned off by the power button until I need to
print. Many people leave their printers on all the time and that seems to
be the ones that have lots of problems with clogging. By keeping it turned
off until you are ready to print you won't have as long a cleaning cycle as
one that is left one all the time.

Reading the manual usually helps too!!!

Old January 17th 04, 12:37 AM
NCHA

"Safetymom123" wrote in message
m...
I have new Epsons and old ones and never had a problem with clogging on

any
of them. I keep the printer turned off by the power button until I need

print. Many people leave their printers on all the time and that seems to
be the ones that have lots of problems with clogging. By keeping it

turned
off until you are ready to print you won't have as long a cleaning cycle

as
one that is left one all the time.

Reading the manual usually helps too!!!

I have tried to "kill" my Epson's, Leaving it on for weeks and not
printing, unplugging it to turn it off, running at least 3 reams of paper
threw it without stopping.. Hell I have run my CX5200 all in one so hard
that I have had to relube the bar that the carriage head rides on twice!
Only one time have I had to clean the heads, and that was when I took it out
of the box.

Old January 17th 04, 01:55 AM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Old Nick
writes
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 02:29:02 +0000, Kennedy McEwen
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Stop being so high and mighty and show me in the manual where it
details the troubles people are getting with their printers,

The troubleshooting guide, starting on page 55 of my printer's manual -
YMMV!

or that
if you clog the heads, the printer is toast,

It doesn't, because it isn't - you just need to learn to clean them and
keep them from drying out: instructions on page 50 of the same location
as above.

or that if the ink runs
out in one colour you cannot print, or refill the colour.

Page 60, same location.

My last printer (an HP) was cheaper to run and more idiot proof than
this one.

Sounds like it needed to be!

Even then, show me a place that will let me read the manual in the
first place, before I buy the printer.

Amongst others there is
http://www.epson.co.uk/support/manuals/index.htm
or
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...tegory.jsp?BV_
UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-10237&infoType=Doc
or, if you read Japanese, at
http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/produc...io/printer.htm

But since you are clearly a troll you'll find the Norwegian versions of
the manuals at http://www.epson.no/technical/manuals/

Now crawl back into your cave, FOAD!
--
Kennedy
Old January 17th 04, 02:00 AM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Old Nick
writes

Yes. I left my printer on. Oh woe is me! No I did not realise this.

Does it _say_ all that in the manual?

YES!

According to you oh so perfect ....people, I am an idiot, or a fool,

If the cap fits, wear it. having squeezed your enormous troll skull
under it, crawl back into your cave, then FOAD!

Some things are just to stupid to own Epson, or any other, printers.
--
Kennedy
Old January 27th 04, 08:11 PM
CecilWilliams

Regarding Epson printers clogging up, I've owned several Epsons
starting with the Stylus 400 Color and currently a Stylus Photo 1270
and Photo 820. What I have found, consistently over the past few
years, is that my home photo printer NEVER clogs, and my office photo
printer is always clogged, to the point of being unusable most of the
time. The difference is in the environment. My home printer is in a
cool (50-65 degreesF) humid basement computer room, and my office
printer is in a warm, sometimes hot (72-90F), low-humidity office. My
home printer is almost always left turned on and ready to go.
Sometimes I don't print for weeks, and it still is not clogged. My
office printer is guaranteed to be clogged and unusable on a Monday
morning if left on over the weekend and always in the hot summer
months...

To resolve a cloogging problem on my office printer, the strategy I've
found works best is to run one cleaning cycle (that almost never works
right away)and then let it sit for an hour or more. Then run another
cleaning cycle, and let it set again for at least an hour or
preferably more. If that still doesn't work, run a third cleaning
cycle and let it set over night. An outrageous solution, yes, but this
has always resolved my toughest Epson printer clogging problems.
YMMV...

- Cecil

Old January 27th 04, 11:58 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

Amusing, in that colleagues found the same thing in Alaska v SoCal.
o Printers -- big A3+ 1520, some 3000, one 5000
o Usage -- big prj-mgt-chart-tomes, financial, needs A2 & colour
o Clogging -- none in Alaska, problem in SoCal

Now it could be coincidence, the sample is quite small and the
usage whilst similar is obvious not a controlled experiment.

Use was intermittent & baby-sit for 16-hrs straight paper-feeding.

Colour was vital - multi-layer processes, IT/process integration,
and sheer A2 eye-boggle requires it for speed & usability. A chart
is only as good as those able to get info from it - so Epson delivered.
Colour lasers in A2 aren't exactly daily Walmart specials.

So good printers - perhaps factor in "may clog in the price".
o Epson 1660 A3 (3-colour like 1520 cartridge anyway)
---- 220ukp, ok, it may clog in 10,000pgs
o HP 1770C (3-colour, removeable heads a la 2500C)
---- 540ukp by 10,000pgs with replaceable heads

So I'm still ahead if the Epson clogs well before 10,000pgs.

I'm way ahead on consumables - compatible for the 1660 are
the same as the 1520 which are about 2ukp a go for black.

Thanks.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for fans, books & other items

Old January 28th 04, 04:12 AM
Ultra Vista

"If the cap fits, wear it. having squeezed your enormous troll skull
under it, crawl back into your cave, then FOAD!"

Sigh! Just do a quick google search for key words "printhead clogging" you
will see more than 90%, if not all, are Epson printers that owners complain
about.

There is a reason why Epson printheads clog more than not. Epson uses piezo
printhead. Other brands use thermo printheads. In terms of the ink ejecting
power piezo force is much smaller than thermo forces. This fundamental
difference makes Epson different from others in terms of head clogging. It
is of particular trouble when pigment based inks are used. Pigment colorant
molecules are much bigger and heavier than dye molecules. As a result of using
pigment based inks Epson owners will experience more of crawling back to your
cave then FOAD.