Kodak Printers??

Old December 20th 07, 12:55 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Angelo Campanella

Default Kodak Printers??

Anyone have any experience with recent Kodak Printers?

I have a middle-aged HP6122 DeskJet, and I'm tired of high cartridge
costs (about 3 BW & C per year). Also I see that Kodak has a "permanent"
print head. As I recall, those print heads can be mighty expensive, and
no printer I have ever had ever had a print hed last for "life".

Comments welcome.

Angelo Campanella

Old December 20th 07, 02:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

Since you prefaced everything by mentioning that moneysaving is one of
the high priorities I would suggest that you consider refilling your own
cartridges. Cost saving is significant and at the same time you're avoiding
throwing more plastic into landfills by recycling. Depending on which
printer you get, refilling could be a little cumbersome to child-like easy.
I'll give you my suggestion for incredibly easy and very inexpensive.
An Epson C88+ printer has 4 cartridges. Black, cyan, magenta, and
yellow. They are chipped. A couple of years ago a clear, see-through
spongeless cartridge came on the market. They have turned out to be a
panacea for refilling, but they are only available for a few select
printers. They can be refilled with a blunt ended syringe in less than a
minute, and with a chip resetter the PCB (chip) can be reset in ten seconds.
It takes longer to clean the syringe than to refill and reset the cartridge.
The company I get the cartridges from says the cartridges can be
refilled 5 times. I've refilled many of these cartridges ten times or more
at this point. Of the forty-five or so cartridges I'm using two or three
began to leak out of the ink outlet, one just fell apart, dribbling ink onto
the table, and the other forty-one are working perfectly. They cost $7.50
each. A chip resetter runs $20 from this company. Using bulk ink, I'm
conservatively estimating that it costs $1.25 to refill a cartridge. The
initial costs for the cartridges and chip resetter, a couple of 20 cm
syringes will run about $55.
I'm using this method to refill for 10 Epson C84 printers at school that
use the same style cartridge as the C88+, that is currently available. After
over a year of refilling, all 10 printers are running fine using dye base
ink. I also use this same system at home with an Epson R1800 and pigment
ink, that also uses the same size cartridge as the C84/C88+.
You needn't go with Epson. You could refill with Canon or HP, and though
a bit more time consuming, because the cartridges must be filled more
slowly, would still save you a bundle and still be environmentally
preferable to buying new cartridges. With Canon, I've read that one loses
the ability to monitor the ink levels, but that is relatively a small
inconvenience, since Canon cartridges are see through as well, and can be
visually monitored.
My source for spongeless cartridges and ink is MSI (
www.inksupply.com ). I've also dealt with www.alotofthings.com for ink and
spongeless cartridges. Both companies have shown themselves to be reputable
and dependable. There are other companies as well that supply these
materials.

--
Jan Alter

or

Old December 20th 07, 04:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

The reviews in the magazines rate it as about average.  They doubt the savings that Kodak claims on ink.  Canon is rated the best but that is for Windows.  For Linux HP should be strongly considered because of driver support.  It seems that Linux better supports HP with independent drivers that function better than the HP Win drivers.  I do not have a handle on Epson for Linux except that Epson will not support it.

Angelo Campanella wrote: Anyone have any experience with recent Kodak Printers?

Old December 20th 07, 04:17 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Jan Alter wrote:
Since you prefaced everything by mentioning that moneysaving is one of
the high priorities I would suggest that you consider refilling your own
cartridges.

Surely that will cost you more when you clog the printhead. And if you
do not do that then you have to accept lower quality, greater propensity
for fading and of course the mess involved.
Cost saving is significant and at the same time you're avoiding
throwing more plastic into landfills by recycling. Depending on which
printer you get, refilling could be a little cumbersome to child-like easy.
I'll give you my suggestion for incredibly easy and very inexpensive.

snip

Old December 20th 07, 02:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rene Lamontagne

"Jan Alter" wrote in message
"measekite"
I do not have a handle on Epson for Linux except that Epson will not
support it.

This fact is inaccurate. Linux does support Epson printers with drivers.
If it were false I could not be running a C84 right now on Ubuntu.

--
Jan Alter

or

. ..

Angelo Campanella wrote:
Anyone have any experience with recent Kodak Printers?

I have a middle-aged HP6122 DeskJet, and I'm tired of high cartridge costs
(about 3 BW & C per year). Also I see that Kodak has a "permanent" print
head. As I recall, those print heads can be mighty expensive, and no
printer I have ever had ever had a print hed last for "life".

Comments welcome.

Angelo Campanella

Hi Angelo, I purchased a Kodak 5300 about 5 months ago, Staples and Walmart
handle them here in Canada now and both have ink carts at the same price as
U.S. dealers, $10.00 for black, $15.00 for color or $23.00 for the black
and color combo pack.

Yes the Ink prices are MUCH lower than my HP and Canon units which I no
longer use and are relegated to the attic until I can give them away.

Quality is excellent useing Kodak Photopapers which are also fairly
reasonable in price, I have not used any other brand of paper as I get great
results wih the Kodak.

Printer and scanner speeds are fast so I have no complaints there, The color
LCD is a great help if you want to do standalone prints in a hurry.

The printhead issue is hard to judge, The printer has not been out long
enough to tell how printheads will last, But if you DO NOT let the carts run
dry the heads shoud last as advertized, In any case changig a printhead is
as easy as changing an ink cart.

I was refilling for years on all my Canon and HP printers but will not
bother on the Kodak as Carts are reasonable enough to afford.

I hope for everyones sake that HP, Epson, Canon and Lexmark Catch A Clue and
bring their ink cart prices down to earth as Kodak did.

As a final thought I i would give this printer a rating of 9 out of 10.

Regards, Rene

Old December 20th 07, 03:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Jan Alter wrote:

"measekite"

I do not have a handle on Epson for Linux except that Epson will not support it.

This fact is inaccurate. Linux does support Epson printers with drivers. If it were false I could not be running a C84 right now on Ubuntu.

You only think you are running a C84 with Epson drivers.  They are not Epson drivers.  Epson tech support says so.  They do not support Linux.  What you are using are 3rd party drivers that work on your printer.  Included with some distros are HP drivers that work on HP printers but most are not done by HP.  And that is good.  Envelopes register on my HP printer properly when using a HP CUPS driver but they do not register when using a Windows HP driver since that was made by HP.

Go to the Epson Website and look at all of their printers and you will not see Linux in any of the specifications.  You will see all of the shades of Windows and Mac.

Old December 20th 07, 10:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

Let me quote myself. I said, "Linux does support Epson printers with
drivers."

I did not say Epson was making the drivers. That may be helpful to know for
anyone considering Linux that an Epson printer will be usable on that OS for
practically all of their models.

measekite
You only think you are running a C84 with Epson drivers.

Your assumption that you think that I think I am running Epson drivers is
presumptious and also inaccurate. In fact the ink monitoring software is not
available when running Linux. One has to rely on the printer firmware to let
the user know when ink is low.

It is unfortunate that you are so ready to lay blame or be accusatory in
a conversation that a reasonable dialogue rarely takes place when facts are
presented. Because you are so biased to accept information that refilling
with third party ink can be right for many consumers you go off on a tirade;
make general accusations that every printer that's refilled will surely go
to hell, and that anyone who dares to allow third party ink to touch their
printer will see great splotches of goo on what they print and regret it for
the rest of their natural life.
Several years ago a number of folks appealed to you during your ranting
to back off and make an attempt to present your opinions without the
constant hostility, and stop capitalizing all of your text whenever you
wrote, but since then you clearly make it known that you feel you
omniscience to everything about ALL printers should be accepted without
question. It's no wonder that people killfile you. There's enough crap
already going on in the world besides having to read it from you.

--
Jan Alter

or

"measekite" wrote in message
et...

"measekite"

Old December 21st 07, 01:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rene Lamontagne

"Mike Huskey" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 00:55:16 GMT, Angelo Campanella
wrote:

Anyone have any experience with recent Kodak Printers?

Kodak refuses to support any windows versions other than XP or Vista.
---
The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.

By the way Angelo, Apparently the measekite thing jumped into this thread as
I see by others replies.
Just ignore him/her/it. we have had posts from it for quite some time but
being as we don't know what he/she/it is we just ignore or killfile it. Some
of us believe it is a cross between a bull bitch and a window cleaner but we
don't have any direct proof.

Regards, Rene

Old December 21st 07, 07:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Let me be clear.  Epson does not support Linux.  No drivers are in the box with the product.  Linux is not listed as part of the product specifications.  A call to Epson tech support will tell you that Epson does not support Linux.

I have never said there are no non Epson drivers that are not supported by Epson that may work on a specific model and who knows if all of the features will work.

In the case of the Canon IP4000 the Pixus IP4100 (Canon Japan) drives the printer without duplex and borderless printing and support for auto sheet feeder and cassette paper feed is iffy depending on the software you are using at the time.