Flashing cart light HP deskjet 940c

Old July 16th 07, 03:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
shaq

Default Flashing cart light HP deskjet 940c

On Jul 15, 9:25 pm, Richard Steinfeld
wrote:
shaq wrote:
Want a contact cleaner thatr actually works - better yet, improves the
connection.
I have usedDeoxITfor over 10 years and the stuff is amazing. www.deoxit.com
Mike

Yup. A lot of people loveDeoxIT(in electronics work, restoration of
antique gear, etc.).

I'll assume that it's great for the print cartridge contacts, but do you
know for sure that it's good for this particular application?

Thanks.

Richard

Yes I would think so. Have used it on just about every computer
connection and works everytime. Video cards are very susceptible to
intermittents. Many of our office video cards need a wipe of DeoxIT
GOLD every so often to rejuvenate the connection. Bad video card
connections are our most common issues. They have great wipes for
these. Link: http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2...2&category=292

Mike

Old July 16th 07, 10:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

Arthur Entlich wrote:
My brother who is an EE, swears by Mobil 1 synthetic oil. He says it
prevents oxidation, and allows for very good metal to metal contact
while both lubricating and keeping the contacts clean, and it is very
inexpensive, and it doesn't seem to damage plastics over time as some
lubricants do. A bottle will be a lifetime purchase.

That's quite interesting. I never thought of that. Electronics sprays
are a lot lighter than that. I'd be afraid of trying this with a
potentiometer.

A quart bottle of Mobil 1 would last probably 10 lifetimes in this
application. Further, the cost would be minimal, as opposed to the
electronics cleaners and cleaner/preservatives, which have risen in
price beyond the usual inflation to where they're priced like, well: ink!

Caig's products (De-oxIT) are priced like, well: OEM ink for a $35 printer.

I was an early user of Mobil 1 and respect the product (at least, if
through viscosity changes and The Big Merger with Exxon, it's actually
the same as it used to be). The one thing that I'm wondering about is
whether it attracts and holds dust the way that my familiar electronics
products don't. I don't understand why it would allow good metal-metal
contact when its primary purpose is to prevent metal-to-metal contact.
This baffles me. I'm not saying that he's wrong, just that I don't
understand this.

I'm interested in what he says about that.

Richard
Old July 17th 07, 02:10 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

Richard Steinfeld wrote:

Let me give a logical guess.
1. The contact strips are attached with a suitable adhesive, maybe an
industrial-grade cyanoacrylic.

I do not know the adhesive details, but they are generally heat staked in
place. The lube is on the exposed side.

2. In electronics work, the word "lubricant" has been used with compounded
contact cleaning fluids as somewhat of a catchall.

[snip]
What do you think, Bob?

The "lubricant" for the pads is to prevent the clean gold on the pads and
the pogo pins from welding themselves together when the cartridge is
installed into the printer. When this happens it can cause tearing of the
pads (destroying the cartridge) or bending the pogo pins (damaging the
printer). The amount of lube needed to prevent this is very small. If you
take your finger, rub your forehead once and then rub it on clean
interconnect pads you have about the right amount :-).

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old July 17th 07, 01:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I don't know what deoxIT sells for, but Mobil 1 synthetic oil seems to
have similar qualities and is pretty inexpensive.

There used to be a product called "ElectroLube" on the market years ago.
It seems to be a gift from the electronic gods as a contact cleaner.
It coated the contacts with some form of silver.

Well, a year or so later, the damage reports started coming in. It
caused many plastics to become brittle and crack or craze, and the
silver began to corrode badly. It was ultimately a disaster.

Art

Old July 17th 07, 01:39 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I'll ask him about the dust and metal to metal issue and let you know
what his experience is.

Art

Old July 17th 07, 09:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

test

Old August 9th 07, 03:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On Jul 15, 11:34 pm, shaq wrote:
On Jul 15, 4:52 pm, Richard Steinfeld

wrote:
Arthur Entlich wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think the wording HP used may be the problem.

You bet!
At one time, HP had a fine documentation department. I doubt that they'd
have hired anyone who wrote like this. That department is long gone,
right Bob?

I'm not aware of conductive lubricants other than fairly crude,
traditional stuff like graphite greases. These are sloppy and
semi-conductive (function like resistors) -- and could bridge adjacent
circuits if they got smeared. I don't think I'd want them around printer
cartridge connectors.

think what they mean is that they use a conductive lubricant to
"connect" (rather than attach) the contacts in the printer itself, to
the pad contacts on the cartridge.

Let me give a logical guess.
1. The contact strips are attached with a suitable adhesive, maybe an
industrial-grade cyanoacrylic.

2. In electronics work, the word "lubricant" has been used with
compounded contact cleaning fluids as somewhat of a catchall. This is a
bit complicated. I'll try:

- Plaincontact cleaneris typically an inert liquid that evaporates
quickly. It used to be a freon, and now other liquids are used instead.

- Clasic cleaner-lubricants were freon plus a silicone fluid. The
carrier would evaporate, leaving a silicone film behind. Silicone
liquids are great lubricants for all substances and interfaces except
metal-to-metal, in which the metal texture pushes through the liquid.
This makes it ideal for a contact preparation because the silicone forms
a vapor barrier on the contacts, preventing oxidation. This also gives
the contact surfaces excellent conductivity when they connect with each
other. Silicone fluids are great for this purpose, also, because unlike
petroleum products, they do not attract dirt! And unlike petroleum
products, silicone fluid does not attack any plastics that I know of. If
I were HP, I'd probably want to use this for inkjet cartridges and
internal contacts myself. Silicone and petroleum liquids don't mix, and
probably form crystalline-like substances.

- Other non-silicone preparations are also used as contact preparations,
with and without carriers. These are usually petroleum distillates with
or without other chemicals. At least a couple of these have been revered
by technicians; one swore to me about a wonderful liquid, about which he
stressed that it should never be applied more than the most minimal
film. Hmmmmm.

What do you think, Bob?

Want a contact cleaner thatr actually works - better yet, improves the
connection.
I have used DeoxIT for over 10 years and the stuff is amazing. www.deoxit.com
Mike

All fluids improve connection, at least temporarily. Stabilant is the
fluid that actually conducts.
Silicones are problematic with contacts. It can form hard insulation
with arching.

greg

Old August 9th 07, 03:58 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On Jul 16, 5:49 pm, Richard Steinfeld
wrote:
Arthur Entlich wrote:
[...]

Lubrication will provide better metal to metal contact , unless its
traveling 60 MPH. Much like using water on a wet stone, the lube helps
push corrosion and other particles out of the way so metal to metal
contact improves.
I might try some Mobile 1. My lube of choice right now is CRC 2-26.
The Home Depot was selling this dirt cheap a while back. It says right
on the can, improves
electrical properties.