Acer Aspire 3000 Notebook fat 32 file and shuts down

Old July 20th 06, 05:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
auntpik501

Default Acer Aspire 3000 Notebook fat 32 file and shuts down

I have an Acer Aspire 3003 Notebook and it is almost a year old. My
problem started when I tried to download a PDF file the computer just
sat there with a white screen trying to load then all of a sudden the
computer went dead . I turned it back on and this blue screen saying
FAT32 is missing files? or something of that sort. So I let it go
thru its course and it signed back on. I told a co worker about it and
they were telling me to contact Acer because you don't want to have your
notebook read files as FAT32 It should be something else and I don't
recall the actual file format but it began with an N. Can someone tell
me how to convert these files back and if I will have this automatic
shutdown ever again and if this would be covered under a manufacture
warranty? I am illiterate when it comes to computers. Any help would
be greatly appreciated. Have a great day!!

--
auntpik501
Old July 20th 06, 12:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Kevin Childers

"auntpik501" wrote in message

[...]

What Operating System (O/S) is it using? If it is XP, it should be NTFS and
there really isn't any way to convert NTFS to FAT32 so I doubt it converted
that way. Microsoft doesn't supply an app for that, only FAT32 to NTFS.

Old July 21st 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Ron Krebs

[...]

First of all, AFAIK, all Acers come formatted in FAT32 (File Allocation
Table - 32 bit). You get a better file storing strategy with NTFS (New
Technology File System) though and it would be your option to convert the
current format to the latter NTFS. But before you should consider this,
there seems to be a problem with your HDD's (Hard Disk Drive's) current
health state. If your notebook will not boot into your desktop, you may have
some file corruption or worse yet, your HDD may beginning to fail or already
has. You can restore your Windows XP system via the restore disk you made
upon first starting up your notebook a year ago. You still have that disk,
do you not? If your HDD is still viable, there should be a hidden partition
on it that stores the installation files and can probably accessed via
Safemode and the Empowering Technology console. To enter Safemode, you must
press F8 before the boot process gets to the Windows XP logo and select the
option to boot into Safemode. You can tell you're in said mode by the VGA
graphic "look" to the desktop (mostly just primary colors - 8bit). Yes, I
know you will lose some of your current user data when you restore, but that
is why Acer partitions a single drive into two logical drives with D: being
called ACERDATA. This is where you were to put all of your Docs, and
personal user data so that if/when you have to do a restore, you can recall
those documents as the restore only affects drive C:. So my advice would be
to first make sure you HDD is up to snuff and working properly, and then you
can think about converting the FAT32 format to NTFS.

Ron

Old July 21st 06, 03:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
auntpik501

Kevin Childers Wrote:
"auntpik501" wrote in message

...-

[...]

Thank you for your reply I am new at this---I have windows XP. I
understand what you are saying about the files cant convert. Why would
it just shut down in the middle of something though? Would you happen
to know anyone that this happen to and what was the cause of that ?
Any more help would be appreciated. I was on ebay and loading some
things to sell when the computer just shut off --- I checked to see if
it was too hot or something and it was not it just simply shut off and
when I turned it back on then it went to the blue screen and said it
was checking the system and FAT32 came up so I let it run through and
then it signed me on and so far so good an hour later. I am just
wondering if I have a virus or something corrupted. Thank you!

--
auntpik501
Old July 21st 06, 12:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Ron Krebs

"Kevin Childers" wrote in message
[...]

Windows XP can and does run on a FAT32 formatted HDD. In fact, that is how
the OS was installed from the Acer Notebook mfg. It came that way. Most
people I know then convert this to NTFS via a program like Partition Magic
which also allows you to go back to FAT32 if you so desire. The question is,
do you need to reformat/convert back to FAT32 if you ever need to restore
your system from the recovery disk or from the hidden partition (which btw
remains FAT32 even though you converted C & D drives to NTFS). I think the
recovery process will automatically convert the drives back to FAT32 for
you. Either that or it will give you the option to use either format. I
don't know because I haven't tried a recovery yet ( Aspire 5672 ). The only
problem I can see with NTFS, is that if you have a LAN/WAN with systems that
run FAT32, they will not be able to see the NTFS partition, but the NTFS
system can see those FAT32 drives on the network. Perhaps this is why Acer
elects to install the OS on a FAT32 formatted hard drive, so that it will be
recognized by any current networks with FAT32 on them.

Ron

Old July 21st 06, 02:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Kevin Childers

Kevin Childers Wrote:
[...]

Heat does come to mind as the first possible issue. If you use the event
viewer you can see if there is anything in the log. The next item is if you
have all of the current MS updates, the system should have said it wanted to
send a report to MS about the problem and that would be another item to read
since it will include the log data. In any case, run scan disk and see what
it finds. If the HDD are all OK, it comes down to either a bad/corrupted
driver or possibly a bad memory stick. RAM going bad though is far less
likely than a software issue with a driver. A virus scan with an up to date
Antivirus program never hurts. Likewise for spyware and adware programs.
Occasionally those can cause crashes due to poor programming and besides
they are just parasites on the system anyway. Adaware and Spybot are good
free programs for checking those items.