new Tom's Hardware printer test: Canon vs HP

Old December 12th 05, 05:09 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default new Tom's Hardware printer test: Canon vs HP

"zakezuke" wrote:
where do you folks get these from? PDF downloads, friendly local service
centres, employed in the industry?

Good question... in this case both knightcrawler and my self would have
gotten a pdf download from sites i'll site later in this responce.

I know knightcrawler keeps them on his site somewhere
http://pixma.webpal.info/

He and I would have gotten them from here
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/

Another resource for regular joes is to hunt around e-bay and there is
a gent who posts here from time to time selling manuals on CD-rom.

I have used www.manuals4you.com many times, excellent service, but you have to
pay which is fair enough. However the value for money is very good, you get
dozens of manuals on each CD and most manufacturers and models are available.
There is a Russian site that sells manuals also but I have no opinion about
their service or quality since I have never used them.
BTW fixyourownprinter.com no longer have free manuals available for bandwidth
reasons.
Tony
Old December 12th 05, 07:43 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

I just finished printing ~ 50 pages of pure black starting from almost full
OEM BCI-3e on ip4000R. Single spaced Times at 10 pt plus some
equations. Judging from the ink height, that used up about 25% of the
capacity.

And the capacity of the sponge is about 20%. So assuming 25ml we have
5ml sponge 20ml tank. You believe you used 25% of the reservoir so you
believe you've used 5ml for 50 pages, or 10ml/page.

Based on the 5% yield 500p assuming also 25ml... that's 20p/ml

What i'm not clear on is you say pure black.. 10pt font numbers and
quations. Is this basicly full pages packed to the gills with info or
are there signifigent margins and spacing.

Old December 12th 05, 08:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

10 pages/ml, I'm sure you meant.
It was pretty heavy but, I'd say, to the point that more realistically
reflects most people's idea of what "full text page" is.

I guess no matter what it boils down to an old rule of thumb "a full
rim on a cartridge" (give or take factor 2X).

Thanks for the correction.. i'm taking mussle relaxents and just
doubled the dose... while this would be a normal error for me i'm
erroring more normaly than normal.

Anyhow I'll have to top off my cartridges and do some hardcore
printing. On my road to recovery i'm learning Japanese and have lots
of things to print. I would do laser... but my laser is just heavy
enough that I should avoid moving it for at least another week. But my
unscientific evaluation of ink yields on the ip3000... the stuff I
typicaly print I tend to average one pack of paper per refill which
just so happens to be 500 sheets.

Old December 12th 05, 10:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

All of the below, and even ebay... you can buy many on line if you can't
find them at assorted web sites of other locations.

Art

Boss Hog wrote:

In article .com,
says...

This is in the service
manual...

Old December 12th 05, 10:41 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

zakezuke wrote:

I just finished printing ~ 50 pages of pure black starting from almost full
OEM BCI-3e on ip4000R. Single spaced Times at 10 pt plus some
equations. Judging from the ink height, that used up about 25% of the
capacity.

And the capacity of the sponge is about 20%. So assuming 25ml we have
5ml sponge 20ml tank. You believe you used 25% of the reservoir so you
believe you've used 5ml for 50 pages, or 10ml/page.

I think you lost a decimal the .10ml/page, or one-tenth ml per page
or 1 ml per 10 pages. (I realize it's a typo, but I hought I would
correct it.)

Art

Old December 12th 05, 10:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

I'm not sure you should be operating "heavy" machines, let alone moving
them, while you are taking high doses of muscle relaxants ;-) Don't
they have warnings on those meds about that? ;-)

Art

Old December 12th 05, 11:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Maybe I didn't express my point quite well: I am not asking Tom's
Hardware to test alternative inks, but I do ask them to specify whether
a printer can be easily refilled or not.

Old December 12th 05, 11:02 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Very well. I shall post them my concerns... the main one being that
Tom's Hardware is changing from hardware enthusiasm to yet another
CNETsque consumer site.

Old December 12th 05, 11:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

I'm not sure you should be operating "heavy" machines, let alone moving
them, while you are taking high doses of muscle relaxants ;-) Don't
they have warnings on those meds about that? ;-)

Yes, they do... "Warning, operating this color inkjet while taking
mussle relaxents may result in prolonged periods of blank stares at the
pretty colors".

I'm not moving the laser for a while.

Old December 12th 05, 06:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Panos Stokas wrote:

Maybe I didn't express my point quite well: I am not asking Tom's
Hardware to test alternative inks, but I do ask them to specify whether
a printer can be easily refilled or not.

THE MAJORITY PEOP[LE WHO BUY PRINTERS DO NOT GIVE A HOOT. THE MAJORITY
BY FAR OF PRINTER USER BUY OEM INK. SO WHY SHOULD THEY. A NON ISSUE