XP printer driver woes

Old November 16th 05, 10:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.ddk.win9x.printer.drivers,uk.comp.os.ms-windows

Default XP printer driver woes

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
MS doesn't write the drivers they provide in box with their operating
systems. They do test them to certain specifications, but they are
provided by the manufacturers, or from the suppliers to those
manufacturers.

Art

Actually MS, write a lot more drivers than you would think. A major part
of their business is writing drivers for other companies. Many have now
got rid of their own development teams, and farm this work back to MS. HP
started doing this a few years ago, and the drivers for newer printers are
MS written, while the code base, and development team who wrote the
drivers for their older kit, have long gone. Unfortunately, these drivers
are only tested on the 'current' kit, not on older models.

wrote:

On 16-Nov-2005, Charlie+ wrote:

I just thought I would write my problems down in case somebody has a
better idea than "download service pack 2" which I am loath to do at
present. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I'm going to
take
a well earned break from this problem for a while.

XP2 doesn't make any difference, the MS$ drivers are still a complete
mess,
both for the LaserJet II and Epson printers, you would have thought
that with
all the complaints MS$ would have fixed them with SP2. So much for the
fat cats at Redmond.

First, try SP2. I has a lot of extra USB drivers, and might make your USB
card work. You might then try drivers for other printers like some of the
Panasonic laser units, which themselves 'talk' a HPGL subset, and will
often work with other printers.

The galling thing is that the Win98 drivers worked fairly well, well
were
useable. Obviously MS don't actually test their drivers on the hardware
they are for, and certainly don't use them, or they would fix them.

Best Wishes

Old November 18th 05, 02:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.ddk.win9x.printer.drivers,uk.comp.os.ms-windows

Well, this is news to me. Where did you get this information from?
What types of drivers are you referring to?

I do know that numerous manufacturers of peripherals farm out their
driver work, but I don't believe MS is doing it for them.

Art

Old November 19th 05, 05:01 AM posted to uk.comp.os.ms-windows,comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.ddk.win9x.printer.drivers

Quietly we read , unable to contain
our credulity we realized that Paul Heslop
said this:
Bill Jillians wrote:

I just thought I would write my problems down in case somebody has a
better idea than "download service pack 2" which I am loath to do at
present. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I'm going to take
a well earned break from this problem for a while.

Bill
--
Bill Jillians

Don't have any answers but you have my sympathies. When i first moved
to XP a couple of years back it was hell. I lost a scanner, my printer
was virtually useless and a couple of bits which came with the new XP
installed computer were basically rubbish, but new rubbish. I guess
the first thing I would consider would be to buy a newer usb card,
should be reasonable priced compared to some of the other stuff, then
you can work your way up slowly.

Oh joy ... just tried the scanner ... that doesn't work properly now.
Looks like I need to find some more nonexistent drivers for something
else.

It does get easier over time but if you're skint or love your old
stuff then it hurts.

--
Bill Jillians
Old November 19th 05, 10:50 AM posted to uk.comp.os.ms-windows,comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.ddk.win9x.printer.drivers

said this:
Bill Jillians wrote:

[...]

Apparently the scanner I chucked out did get drivers eventually, but I
mean EVENTUALLY. You may be luckier as I got in their almost
immediately when people were crying into their open tower systems.

--
Paul (Dear Sir, I have a complaint)
Stop and Look
Old November 20th 05, 10:24 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.ddk.win9x.printer.drivers,uk.comp.os.ms-windows

Well, this is news to me. Where did you get this information from?
What types of drivers are you referring to?

HP.
About 18 months ago, we wanted to 'embed' a HP driver, into a system. It
needed some custom modifications, so we contacted HP (we were talking a
serious number of total sales, and a lot of money). After a few weeks of
batting backwards and forwards, we got agreement, that the unit could be
used the way we wanted, and that a custom driver would be sourced. We then
said 'what would you charge to modify your existing driver this way'.
There was a pause, then they came back "can't be done". "Why not". Answer
was "we don't write the drivers anymore, MS do it for us, and you will
have to talk to them". We did, and following some more negotiations, they
generated the custom driver. It was sourced via 'HP', with HP logos, but
we paid MS, and dealt with their development team. Talking to them, it was
suprising how many companies were doing the same...

Old November 22nd 05, 08:03 AM posted to uk.comp.os.ms-windows,comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.ddk.win9x.printer.drivers

said this:
Bill Jillians wrote:

[...]

I may be able to limp through for the time being. Bought a cheap Epson
colour printer in a boot sale for 4 quid. Installed the drivers and it
works albeit that I need a new cartridge so that should get me though
the next few weeks.

I have a combines printer scanner that I was selling that I had
forgotten about so when the new system gets set up I will probably use
that. Seeing as the old stuff works with Win98SE and I have the drivers
I'll probably sell it off cheap when I sell a second hand system.

On a different note ... if I may pick your brains, if a recent Celeron
computer doesn't display ANYTHING on the screen is the likelihood the
motherboard is gone. There are 3 possibilities it seems, memory,
processor or motherboard. I tried swapping the memory and that didn't
change anything. I haven't got a replacement Celeron processor so I
just wondered if the processor was broken would there be absolutely
nothing from the motherboard during book up process. If I can get this
system working it is sufficiently powerful for me to use it for my
upgrade.

--
Bill Jillians
Old November 22nd 05, 09:00 AM posted to uk.comp.os.ms-windows,comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.ddk.win9x.printer.drivers

said this:
Bill Jillians wrote:

[...]

Good luck :O)

On a different note ... if I may pick your brains, if a recent Celeron
computer doesn't display ANYTHING on the screen is the likelihood the
motherboard is gone. There are 3 possibilities it seems, memory,
processor or motherboard. I tried swapping the memory and that didn't
change anything. I haven't got a replacement Celeron processor so I
just wondered if the processor was broken would there be absolutely
nothing from the motherboard during book up process. If I can get this
system working it is sufficiently powerful for me to use it for my
upgrade.

--
Bill Jillians

Well, as far as I know you would get beeps if something was happening
and that can help experts tell you what the problem is. If there are
no beeps and a dead screen then there's obviously a pretty big
problem. It sounds like the motherboard to be honest, but can you hear
the power coming on at all?

When my machines have died on me they've all gone in pretty
spectacular ways (loud rattles, pinging noises from inside and once an
explosion!) so it's been pretty easy to tell what was going on.

I'm no expert though so I hope someone can give you a nudge in the
right direction.

Old November 22nd 05, 01:38 PM posted to uk.comp.os.ms-windows,comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.ddk.win9x.printer.drivers

Bill Jillians wrote:

On a different note ... if I may pick your brains, if a recent Celeron
computer doesn't display ANYTHING on the screen is the likelihood the
motherboard is gone. There are 3 possibilities it seems, memory,
processor or motherboard.

.... Power Supply?

--

Simon Elliott
Old November 22nd 05, 04:51 PM posted to uk.comp.os.ms-windows,comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.ddk.win9x.printer.drivers

Simon Elliott wrote:

Bill Jillians wrote:

On a different note ... if I may pick your brains, if a recent Celeron
computer doesn't display ANYTHING on the screen is the likelihood the
motherboard is gone. There are 3 possibilities it seems, memory,
processor or motherboard.

... Power Supply?

--

Simon Elliott

That's why I asked if he can hear the power coming on :O))