Hard drive Takes Hours to format

Old October 27th 05, 03:04 AM
Ockerr

Default Hard drive Takes Hours to format

Hi all
The Hard Drive in question was taken out of a HP Computer as the Owner
couldnt format it to install XP, I have tried and its takeing ages, after 7
hours I have given up. The Drive is a 40 gig Samsung its not that old, Maybe
its stuffed.
I have tried XP to format it also used Fdisk, is there another way to bring
it back to life. The Hard drive has never been Dropped or miss treated, Do
they Just Die like that?

Cheers

Old October 27th 05, 03:19 AM
Rod Speed

Ockerr wrote

The Hard Drive in question was taken out of a HP Computer as the Owner couldnt
format it to install XP, I have tried and its takeing ages, after 7 hours I
have given up. The Drive is a 40 gig Samsung its not that old, Maybe its
stuffed.

Very likely, see what samsung's diagnostic says about it.

I have tried XP to format it also used Fdisk,

Surely it isnt taking that long with fdisk ?
Maybe you actually mean dos format after fdisk.

is there another way to bring it back to life.

Likely not.

The Hard drive has never been Dropped or miss treated, Do they Just Die like
that?

Yes, thats the most common way they fail now.

Old October 27th 05, 04:31 AM
CJT

Ockerr wrote:

Hi all
The Hard Drive in question was taken out of a HP Computer as the Owner
couldnt format it to install XP, I have tried and its takeing ages, after 7
hours I have given up. The Drive is a 40 gig Samsung its not that old, Maybe
its stuffed.
I have tried XP to format it also used Fdisk, is there another way to bring
it back to life. The Hard drive has never been Dropped or miss treated, Do
they Just Die like that?

Cheers

Maybe it's got some mode page parameters set that are incompatible with
PCs (e.g. sector size). Was it an HP PC, or perhaps an Alpha or
PA-RISC server?

Old October 27th 05, 04:37 AM
Ockerr

Well I think we have someone who knows something.
YES

Yes it was in a HP Pavillion 564a

Old October 27th 05, 04:59 AM
CJT

Ockerr wrote:

Well I think we have someone who knows something.
YES

Yes it was in a HP Pavillion 564a

Well, that's still a PC. I was thinking you might have a SCSI
drive from a non-PC. If it's an IDE drive from a PC, chances
are it's hosed.

Old October 27th 05, 02:08 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Ockerr" wrote in message
Well I think we have someone who knows something.

A Samsung SCSI drive?

ROTFLOL! ROTFLOL! ROTFLOL! ROTFLOL! ROTFLOL!

Old October 27th 05, 02:11 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"CJT" wrote in message
Ockerr wrote:

Well I think we have someone who knows something.
YES

Yes it was in a HP Pavillion 564a

Well, that's still a PC. I was thinking you might have a SCSI
drive from a non-PC. If it's an IDE drive from a PC, chances
are it's hosed.

Even if it *was* a SCSI drive, it'd still be hosed.
No modepage setting will have the effect OP describes.

Old October 28th 05, 11:23 AM
bxf

After all the comments that were made he

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....791cb fac538f

I'm beginning to suspect that there is some builtin mechanism that
detects when a drive is removed from the laptop that was its home and
then sends the drive on a suicidal path.

Old October 28th 05, 12:42 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously bxf wrote:
After all the comments that were made he

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....791cb fac538f

I'm beginning to suspect that there is some builtin mechanism that
detects when a drive is removed from the laptop that was its home and
then sends the drive on a suicidal path.

I doubt that. It would be illegal in many countries and open
the manufacturer up to lawsuits.

Maybe careless removal kills drives? Maybe static electricity?

Arno