Is there an A3 version of the R300?

Old August 11th 05, 12:24 PM
Arthur Entlich

I'm not arguing one or the other, I still use both, and each has its
advantages.

However, one of the "flaws" in film is grain, something digital doesn't
have. Further, for color balancing the light source, digital has simple
automated options.

Digital allows for cheap experimentation, as well.

Art

Shooter wrote:

Apart from my own view and experience of film versus digi your view just
confirms that film is in front against digi for such work.

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message

Jon is absolutely correct regarding the need for unsharp masking of
digitally acquired files. They all require it to differing degrees. It
gets somewhat complicated, but it has to do with trying to limit
sampling errors during the acquisition of the image file, and then
correcting for the softness which is created in that earlier process to
return sharpness to the image.

Art

Jon O'Brien wrote:

In article ,
(Shooter) wrote:

I have to disagree Jon, when you sharpen a digital file you can loose
detail and alter colour.

That depends on how the sharpening is done. If you use Photoshop,

convert

the image to Lab mode and sharpen only the lightness channel, the colour
channels are unaffected.

As for losing detail, I've never seen any evidence of that (unless the
image is vastly over-sharpened), nor heard any suggestion that that's

the

case. The whole point of sharpening is to make detail easier to see by
emphasising edge transitions. If it lost detail, there would be no point
in doing it.

That all digitally acquired images require some degree of sharpening

isn't

my idea, by the way. It's something I've picked up from people with many
years of experience in the field. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that
it's common knowledge.

...the pro Digital Lab I use do allsorts of correction with gear I could
not afford so they get the very best out of a file on a memory card.

My comment was based on you saying:

...the digi shots were sent to another company who took them straight
off the memory card to the printer...

No mention of correction.

Jon.