Worth upgrading or not?

Old December 25th 03, 09:17 PM
Dick Justice

Default Worth upgrading or not?

Current system:

P4 2.66 533MHz (overclocked to 2.9GHz - stability problems at 3.0GHz)
Abit BD7II-RAID 400/533MHz FSB
1GB Corsair PC3200
Radeon 9700Pro

I was thinking of getting a new mobo with an 800MHz FSB and a C flavor P4
(maybe a 2.6C?) since I hear they overclock easily compared to my non C
version which doesn't like to overclock very much. Would I see much of a
performance boost going that route compared to my current system with the
533MHz system bus? Are the gains noticeable or negligible? Or would it be
best to wait for Prescott and see how that series of chips pans out?

BTW anyone know why the HardOCP admins disabled forum registration?

Old December 26th 03, 10:46 AM
torr

"Dick Justice" wrote in message
Current system:

P4 2.66 533MHz (overclocked to 2.9GHz - stability problems at 3.0GHz)
Abit BD7II-RAID 400/533MHz FSB
1GB Corsair PC3200
Radeon 9700Pro

I was thinking of getting a new mobo with an 800MHz FSB and a C flavor P4
(maybe a 2.6C?) since I hear they overclock easily compared to my non C
version which doesn't like to overclock very much. Would I see much of a
performance boost going that route compared to my current system with the
533MHz system bus? Are the gains noticeable or negligible? Or would it

be
best to wait for Prescott and see how that series of chips pans out?

BTW anyone know why the HardOCP admins disabled forum registration?

Hello

It maybe worth while just changing out your mainboard, resuing your 2.66ghz
cpu and waiting for the P4c prices too drop.
I built a system 2 months ago based on the Albatron 865pe/pro main board
and resused my old 2.53/533 cpu, which would never go past 2.8 ghz on a
gigabyte 845pe800 ultra.
I now run my 2.53 p4 at 3.04ghz (166 fsb) with the added bonus of dual
memory it has been a cheap although small but noticeable performance
increase for me.
Was it worth it, for me yes cause i put a 2 gig celeron it the gigabyte
board and overclocked it to 2.7 ghz and im now ready for a 3.2c p4 in the
albatron when the prices drop

torr

Old December 26th 03, 12:54 PM
Adam Webb

i dont think the price of 2.4 or 2.6ghz cpus will drop too much in 6months,
since there is nothing replacing them....

--
______
From Adam Webb,

Old December 26th 03, 04:47 PM
Dick Justice

"torr" wrote in message

[...]

Ahh so my current 2.66 is compatible with the 800FSB motherboards?

Worth upgrading/importing from US? Iain Dingsdale AMD x86-64 Processors 2 December 19th 04 10:07 PM
PCI Express Worth It? RobB AMD x86-64 Processors 10 December 7th 04 01:14 AM
upgrading to asus k8v se deluxe mb with athlon 64 3000+ Mike Simpson AMD x86-64 Processors 4 November 6th 04 06:18 PM
Are cpu shims worth using? Jim General 4 April 11th 04 04:10 PM
What is an Osborne 1 worth? Cyde Weys General 6 February 12th 04 02:07 AM