Another Bite Da Dust - Who's Next

Old June 18th 05, 12:59 AM
Burt

"Anna Daptor" wrote in message

"measekite" wrote in message
m...

Anna Daptor wrote:

"measekite" wrote in message
.com...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...pcworld/121430

"It's important to send a message out that we [Epson] are serious about
defending our intellectual property and also protecting fair
competition," he says. "We believe in respecting other people's
intellectual property and we expect other people to respect ours and so
we'd like to send that message."

Oh dear. How long before most if not all the other 3rd party ink cart
manufacturers pull out of the market? Do Epson really believe the people
who now are using 3rd party inks would switch to using Epson inks?

They'd be in for a big shock if that is their idea....

MOST OF THEM ARE WAITING FOR THE MOTHER OF ALL CLOGS. THEN THEY STILL
WILL NOT SWITCH TO EPSON. THEY WILL GO BUY A CANON AND AFTER THEY CLOG
UP A PRINTHEAD OR TWO THEY WILL THEN GO TO HP AND THINK THE CARTS ARE
CHEAP.

Huh? Any chance of a translation on that - preferably into a sentence that
actually makes sense.

Ann - This clown claims that he has an MBA from Stanford! If that is true
it is time to close this hallowed institution's doors and let it revert to a
functioning farm. I've seen better writing skills from middle school kids.

Old June 18th 05, 01:13 AM
measekite

Burt wrote:

"Anna Daptor" wrote in message

"measekite" wrote in message
. com...

Anna Daptor wrote:

"measekite" wrote in message
y.com...

[...]

Writing back to this jerk does not merit any more of my time.

Old June 18th 05, 01:16 AM
measekite

Frank wrote:

measekite wrote:

MOST OF THEM ARE WAITING FOR THE MOTHER OF ALL CLOGS. THEN THEY
STILL WILL NOT SWITCH TO EPSON. THEY WILL GO BUY A CANON AND AFTER
THEY CLOG UP A PRINTHEAD OR TWO THEY WILL THEN GO TO HP AND THINK THE
CARTS ARE CHEAP.

Stop yelling you big eared schmuck!
hahahaha...
Frank

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old June 18th 05, 01:16 AM
Burt

"measekite" wrote in message
m...

Burt wrote:

"Anna Daptor" wrote in message

"measekite" wrote in message
.com...

Anna Daptor wrote:

"measekite" wrote in message
gy.com...

[...]

Promise?

Old June 18th 05, 01:50 AM
zakezuke

Did the NX-1000 use the cartridge that was about a foot long?

No, but other printers from that era also did, though I tend to think
Epson, Hp, and Wang. Nu-kote BM292 might be what your thinking of.

The ribbon for the nx-1000, IIRC, was about palm sized and came in
about 1/4 inch thickness for the black, and almost 1 inch thickness for
the rainbow.

Maybe I used PrintRites in my Star NX-2430, which was about twice the
price of something like a Canon iP4000 today.

My last 24 pin was Panasonic 2124 I believe, also a rainbow but about
the same sized ribbon as the Star, again in 1/4 inch and 1 inch rainbow
which were sometimes used on people's faces before hitting the local
discotek. That was pretty much the only practical use for color 24-pin

So Epson is going after dot-matrix ribbon cartridge makers? Isn't that
a bit late - like 15 years too late?

A dotmatrix today will cost you several times more than a ip-4000. For
example the Oki 320 9-pin is about $400, the 490 24-pin is about $450.

Their application is pretty limited for rescript printing where you
need carbon/carbonless impact copies. Since it's the business market,
I can see why they would be annoyed at alternative ribbon makers. at
$20.00 a 6 pack for for those rescript printers, tiny suckers too, I
would be annoyed if Oki or Epson were my only options. But still, I
have NO clue who Epson is going after. Print-Rite clearly has moved on
to inkjets as well.

Old June 18th 05, 05:07 AM
Arthur Entlich

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that if a company cannot produce an
Epson compatible cartridge for each of Epson's printers (or any other
brand) without infringing on their patents, or if they cannot be
refilled (as Epson has designed their newer cartridges not to be) then
Epson is in violation of anti-trust legislation like the Sherman and
Clayton which do not allow tying or consumable to hardware.

Art

Taliesyn wrote:

measekite wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...pcworld/121430

The complaints against this one manufacturer are related largely to
dot-matrix printers, according to the article.

-Taliesyn (last used a dot matrix last century ;-)

Old June 18th 05, 05:13 AM
Arthur Entlich

Let's hope so.

Art

Tony wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:31:24 GMT, measekite wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...pcworld/121430

The EU has a untie dumping Law and All carriages must be refillable, ie not
chipped.

I think you will find that the EU will fine Epson because of its stupid
actions.

Old June 18th 05, 06:49 PM
measekite

Arthur Entlich wrote:

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that if a company cannot produce an
Epson compatible cartridge for each of Epson's printers (or any other
brand) without infringing on their patents, or if they cannot be
refilled (as Epson has designed their newer cartridges not to be) then
Epson is in violation of anti-trust legislation like the Sherman and
Clayton which do not allow tying or consumable to hardware.

They have the right to design their equipment (including carts) any way
they want and you have a right not to buy it. They claim their design
benefits their printer. They are under no obligation to design a
printer that uses refillable carts. You are right. You are not a lawyer.

Art

Old June 18th 05, 09:10 PM
Frank

measekite wrote: