Canon CLI-8 ink cartridges from eBay - do they work?

Old December 14th 07, 09:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Taliesyn

Default Canon CLI-8 ink cartridges from eBay - do they work?

Bob Headrick wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message

"Bob Headrick" wrote in message

[snip]

In the case of a refill they cannot do this, since they have no way
of knowing how much ink the refiller put in the cartridge. Maybe the
refiller puts in the same amount of ink, but they may put in more or
less. The ink gauge cannot be accurate in this case, and to provide
an inaccurate gauge would lead to various other issues.

If you knew anything at all about Canon printers, you wouldn't have
posted this.

Do not presume how much I know about Canon printers. The Canon printers
do have an optical system that gives a signal when the ink level is down
to about 15% remaining. Older Canon printers did not have an ink gauge,
they simply gave the user a signal when the prism indicated the main
(free liquid) chamber was depleted. There were various customer
complaints with this system, as there was no warning before the "you are
nearly empty" message.

I've been running 3 Canon printers for years and there is absolutely
nothing wrong with the system that simply says "You are nearly empty"
(the free liquid chamber is depleted). When I get this message I run
off a few more pages, or a few photos, and then put in a full set of
cartridges, home refilled. Anyone with complaints that the metering
system doesn't give enough readings is out to lunch. No one should be
running inkjet printers without back-up ink cartridges. If they are,
then maybe the metering system isn't their biggest concern. I have two
primary printers and an older spare I bring out for heavy load jobs.
Printers are also finicky appliances, you never know when they'll all of
a sudden decide not to work for one reason or another. I have learned
over the years that having 2 or 3 printers and 5 or 6 sets of backup
cartridges guarantees I'll never ever to say, "Sorry, my printer is
down, or I'm out of ink, I can't get to the store until next week."

-Taliesyn

[You could have seen those complaints in this
newsgroup a few years ago.] In more recent printers they provide an ink
gauge based on knowing when a new cartridge is installed, how much ink
they put in and various factors about printing and servicing. They then
estimate ink remaining, and correct this at the point the prism
indicates actual low ink.

For the recent printers they cannot provide a reasonable gauge during
life for third party cartridges since they do not know the initial ink.
They could have an alternate warning based on the older system to
accommodate these cartridges, but that would require more firmware and
testing. They are in a no-win situation - if they provide an inaccurate
gauge folks will complain, if they disable the [inaccurate] gauge folks
will complain.

- Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old December 15th 07, 07:20 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stick Stickus[_4_]

"Burt" wrote in message
news

"Bob Headrick" wrote in message
"Francis Fronzaglia" wrote in message

They beg you to buy their cheap printers (prices constantly dropping)
and then grab you by the balls (removing printer features) when you
decide to use alternative inks to their hugely over-priced ones. That
should not be allowed. That's like buying a coffee kettle of a certain
brand (Haxwell Mouse) that will only show how much water is in it
provided you buy their brand of coffee that costs 10 to 20 times more
than no name coffee. Makes no sense! How can that even be legal?

Except the way that the low on ink indicators work on most printers is
that they know how much ink the cartridge starts with, then they count
how many drops they spit out (either on paper or in servicing). Based on
the few things they know they can do a reasonable job of estimating the
remaining ink.

In the case of a refill they cannot do this, since they have no way of
knowing how much ink the refiller put in the cartridge. Maybe the
refiller puts in the same amount of ink, but they may put in more or
less. The ink gauge cannot be accurate in this case, and to provide an
inaccurate gauge would lead to various other issues.

- Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob - In the case of the individual color Canon cartridges that have been
used in the last six or so years (or more - I have only been using Canon
printers for about four years) there is an optical sensor that indicates
when the reservoir section is empty. The ink monitor on screen then shows
that the ink level is low. There is then a fairly crude countdown of ink
used for the next few prints after which the monitor signals that the cart
is out of ink. As is the case with other inkjet printers there is still
some ink left in the sponge side of the cart as a safety margin for
preventing printhead damage if it were tocompletely run dry. When the
cart that has signaled low or empty is replaced by another cart (Canon
assumes that you are replacing it with a new fresh OEM cart) the ink
monitor shows that the cart is full. Even if you should put a refilled
cart in place that has only enough ink in it to cover the prism at the
bottom of the reservoir section it will show full. Once the reservoir
section is empty, however, you will get the low ink message. This happens
when the prism is no longer submerged in ink.

What Francis is discussing is the new Canon carts with the chip installed.
Refilling these carts works just fine as far as printing is concerned.
The printer, however, recognizes the cart as empty due to the chip and
lets you know that you will lose your warranty if you continue to print
with a refilled cart. I am not discussing if that is appropriate or not -
what is inappropriate is the fact that Canon then disables the optical
sensor system so you must visually inspect the refilled carts periodically
to avoid running them dry and ruining the printhead. They actually
contribute to the potential destruction of your printhead - absolutely a
punative measure to force the use of new OEM ink carts.

There is also a company out there called Cartridge World which, in the UK,
can reset these chips so you lose none of the functionaly of the ink status
monitor.

There are absolutely some junk inks out there. There are, however,
several brands of ink that cause no damage to the printer or printhead.
The user may chose to use aftermarket inks and accept the possibility that
these inks are less fade resistant than OEM inks. Should Canon still
warranty their printheads if the printers are used with aftermarket inks?
That is their call. They should not, however use punative measures that
have no purpose except to damage your printhead by disabling the safety
measure built in to the carts (refilled or not), the printer, and the ink
monitor software.

Old December 15th 07, 07:23 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stick Stickus[_4_]

"measekite" wrote in message . net...

Stick Stickus wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
measekite wrote:

----lies...and more lies---
How fukkin dumb are you anyway?
Frank

I get my cartridges refilled AND the chips reset at my local Cartridge World
in Oxford, UK. I understand that the ink they use is formulated and supplied
by OCP Inks from Germany.Most of the reviews that you can trust do not agree with those opinions. CW used to claim they used Sensinent ink. Who really know.

I understand that they use Sensient ink to refill the Epson cartridges

In a recent invetigation by Trusted Reviews .com
www.trustedreviews.com Cartridge World refilled cartidges were preferred
over oem cartridges. I have had no problems using this company and lose none
of the functionality of the chips either.
Stick

Old February 5th 08, 12:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
HSJR

Only the first generic that I purchased many years ago was inferior.
Every cartridge and refill ink purchase I have made since has been
excellent with very good color retention. Your broad criticism of
generics has no merit at all. The competitive market has fairly well
cleaned out the junk offerings. I have a shelf full of generic
cartridges and refill ink that has proved to be at least equal to Canon
and Epson. My only disappointment has been with Canon's CLI cartridges
that turn off the monitoring system once the printing count is exceeded.
A Canon chip resetter has been developed, but its cost is still at
about $2000.00. Recent lawsuit won by Epson may make purchase of
generic cartridges illegal though. Scratch one up for corporate greed.

Old February 6th 08, 03:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

HSJR wrote:
Only the first generic that I purchased many years ago was inferior.
Every cartridge and refill ink purchase I have made since has been
excellent with very good color retention. Your broad criticism of
generics has no merit at all. The competitive market has fairly well
cleaned out the junk offerings. I have a shelf full of generic
cartridges and refill ink that has proved to be at least equal to Canon
and Epson. My only disappointment has been with Canon's CLI cartridges
that turn off the monitoring system once the printing count is exceeded.
A Canon chip resetter has been developed, but its cost is still at
about $2000.00. Recent lawsuit won by Epson may make purchase of
generic cartridges illegal though. Scratch one up for corporate greed.

For what it's worth at least one manufacturer has developed a two part Epson
compatible cartridge. This is described as a Patent Free cartridge. The
manufacturer does not sell direct to the public but they are a major player in
the compatible ink marketplace and will soon be distributing these cartridges
through their dealers. If I can find out more I will advise here but meanwhile
look out for a two part compatible Epson cartridge. I cannot vouch for the
quality yet but the manufacturer was one of those that had a very high
reputation before Epson won the law suit. I have yet to find out whether this
overcomes the "recoding" of firmware in Epson printers that has been an issue
in recent months.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old February 6th 08, 01:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

Tony wrote:
HSJR wrote:
[...]

Tony, I bumped into a webpage from the UK (I think) concerning a similar
two-part cartridge replacement for the HP #57 cart. It looked like an
interesting idea. One part contained the print head and associated
circuits, and the other was a snap-in ink tank that was refillable,
IIRC. Unfortunately, I doubt that it's for sale in the US. I'll have to
hunt that up again...

TJ

Old February 6th 08, 01:31 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

TJ wrote:
Tony wrote:
HSJR wrote:
[...]

Yes, the page was from the UK. It's the Peach Snap 'n' Print System, and
it is as I described. The product is from Switzerland, but the
distributor is in the UK. They ship to EU countries, but say nothing
about the US. They do say the print head is a "new manufacturer's print
head," so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there is some agreement with
HP not to market outside the EU. It's too bad. It could catch on here, I
think.

TJ

Old February 6th 08, 04:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
GMAN[_4_]

In article , TJ wrote:
Tony wrote:
HSJR wrote:
[...]

I had one of those 2 part refillables almost 9 years ago for my old HP 600
series printer.

Worked great.
Old February 6th 08, 05:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

HSJR wrote:
Only the first generic that I purchased many years ago was inferior.
Every cartridge and refill ink purchase I have made since has been
excellent with very good color retention.

Wilhelm found out otherwise.
Your broad criticism of
generics has no merit at all. The competitive market has fairly well
cleaned out the junk offerings.

Since the fly by nites will never disclose the true mfg you never know
what you are getting.
I have a shelf full of generic
cartridges and refill ink that has proved to be at least equal to Canon
and Epson.

Testing proves the opposite.
My only disappointment has been with Canon's CLI cartridges
that turn off the monitoring system once the printing count is exceeded.

They are protecting their engineering investment from the rif raff. You
can hardly blame them.
A Canon chip resetter has been developed, but its cost is still at
about $2000.00.

Then go get one.
Recent lawsuit won by Epson may make purchase of
generic cartridges illegal though.

Good
Scratch one up for corporate greed.

Old May 3rd 08, 03:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
LiLi

The four pack ink cartridge is definitely cheaper than purchasing each
of the ink cartridges separately. They are genuine Canon cartridges, so
you don't have to worry about whether or not they will work with your
printer and the quality is as expected.The PRODUCT colors provide true
colors for all my photos.
kenneth

Don't waste money on Printer Ink. Save up to 65% on toner cartridges,
ink cartridges and printer supplies. 'Printer Ink Cartridges, Toner
Cartridges, Printer Supplies & Solid Ink'
(http://www.concordsupplies.com)