Paper Quality

Old January 17th 06, 02:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.computer,comp.periphs.scanners

Default Paper Quality

Yes, I did mention that in the very next paragraph that you did not
quote, BUT, he was discussing reams, and legal size paper, all North
American usage, so, in the spirit of this group which is international
in scope, I gave both sides to the information.

Art

Surfer! wrote:

In message xy6zf.370371$ki.123634@pd7tw2no, Arthur Entlich
writes

I'm coming into this discussion a bit late so, I'm not sure what has
already been mentioned.

You have to be careful with paper weights, if they are done in pounds
particularly (as many North American papers are rated). Those
unfortunately have little to do with the weight of the paper you are
buying in cut sizes like A4 or A3 (or letter size, or legal size, or
whathaveyou). Paper weights when given in pounds are determined by
the standard printers size the paper is cut to at the mill. They
take, I believe 500 pages (which is one ream) and weight it, and that
determines the weight of the paper, regardless of how it is cut up later.

Snip

The OP is in the UK (Leeds to be precise) so he doesn't have those
things to worry about...

Old January 17th 06, 03:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.computer,comp.periphs.scanners

In comp.periphs.printers Arthur Entlich wrote:
Yes, I did mention that in the very next paragraph that you did not
quote, BUT, he was discussing reams, and legal size paper, all North
American usage, so, in the spirit of this group which is international
in scope, I gave both sides to the information.

We use reams here in the UK, all the paper I buy still comes in reams.

--
Chris Green

Old January 17th 06, 04:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.computer,comp.periphs.scanners

Arthur Entlich wrote:
Yes, I did mention that in the very next paragraph that you did not
quote, BUT, he was discussing reams, and legal size paper, all North
American usage, so, in the spirit of this group which is international
in scope, I gave both sides to the information.

Art

Surfer! wrote:

(snipped)

Thanks Art... that was one informative post... much appreciated.

Old January 17th 06, 11:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.computer,comp.periphs.scanners

I tested the 100gsm paper and I'm glad I only bought a small amount of
it. It's only slightly better than the cheap paper I had before.

I am just going to go for it now, no messing about and buy it online.
I am going to use up the rubbish paper I have for less important
things, and from now onwards anything important text-wise I will
always do on 120gsm paper. For what I need to do with the double
sided printing though I am going to use 160gsm paper, that should
hopefully do the trick. I think that 160gsm should be at the halfway
point between being card and paper so with some luck it will still be
quite flexible and the printer wont have trouble with sucking it
through.

I took a look at the Viking site and also the Euroffice one and they
both seem to be quite good for different grades of paper. I will buy
some 120 and 160 paper from one of these places. I am also googling
for places I can buy Legal sized paper here in the UK. No joy so far
at reasonable prices, but I'll keep looking.

I didn't know a thing about paper a few days ago but now I am learning
an awful lot especially from everyone in here (there's a lot of
experts), and through trial and error

Cheers

John

Old January 18th 06, 12:50 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.computer,comp.periphs.scanners

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 23:48:55 +0000, John wrote:

I tested the 100gsm paper and I'm glad I only bought a small amount of
it. It's only slightly better than the cheap paper I had before.

I am just going to go for it now, no messing about and buy it online.
I am going to use up the rubbish paper I have for less important
things, and from now onwards anything important text-wise I will
always do on 120gsm paper. For what I need to do with the double
sided printing though I am going to use 160gsm paper, that should
hopefully do the trick. I think that 160gsm should be at the halfway
point between being card and paper so with some luck it will still be
quite flexible and the printer wont have trouble with sucking it
through.

I haven't had a chance to check the UK sites, but for what you're
talking about, you really should look into getting a coated paper,
such as brochure paper or HP's 'Presentation Paper'. It will say
'matte coated' 'opaque' 'no show through' 'print both sides' or
something similiar on the packaging. The HP Presentation paper is only
120 gsm, but prints quite nicely, at least on my HP machine. The
package says 'For use with any inkjet paper'. You can have cardstock
weight paper, but if it's not opaque or coated, you might still see
the print through it. Most cardstock is not made for inkjets, I have
expensive ultra-white cardstock for doing business laser printing
with, but inkjet prints come out fuzzy. Unless the stock you buy
specifically says 'multi use' or 'for inkjets', it might not show
through, but it might not look good either.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
Old January 18th 06, 01:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.computer,comp.periphs.scanners

Martin wrote:
John wrote:

Thanks for all the helps guys.

What is a ream? Is that a pack of 500 sheets?

It's a pack of paper that's usually between 300 and 500 sheets depending
on the paper weight... 160gsm card would obviously have fewer sheets but
the same rough weight in paper.

(snipped)
Sorry but your description of a ream is not true.
A ream is a specific number of sheets and has
nothing to do with the weight of the paper. A
ream is 20 quires (look that up!).

Like many measures there have been some variations
over the years. The current definition of a ream
of paper standard for printing and copying is 500
sheets. There is also a Printer Ream (a few
sheets more probably an allowance for testing) and
some other definitions, but they are all about 20
quires

Occasionally one will see the term "Ream" used
inappropriately, sometimes because of ignorance,
sometimes in an attempt to cheat the public.
Old January 18th 06, 03:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.computer,comp.periphs.scanners

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Martin wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

Well I stand corrected... thanks for clearing that up