Epson R300 or... else.

Old February 3rd 05, 10:15 PM
latet

Most of the threads in this forum where people have had problems with
clogging have been with cheap ink. That goes for all brands of printer.

That's what many people tell me. Not the print quality, but clogging
is the problem with cheap ink. Esp. with Epsons - for the printing
head is not replaceble.

latet

Old February 3rd 05, 11:50 PM
Harvey

"measekite" wrote in message
Most of the threads in this forum where people have had problems with
clogging have been with cheap ink. That goes for all brands of printer.
At least with the Canon IP4000 you can remover the print head and clean it
or install a new one. They are user replaceable.

Yes the print heads are replaceable, but have a look here
http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/acata..._As semblies_[All] -
the cost of a replacement head for an IP4000 is £65.75. When you can pick up
a new R200 (with all 6 ink cartridges for less (about £60), it makes you
wonder......even the cost of a new IP4000 is only about £95.

I don't suppose Canon publish the likely duty cycle of the printheads do
they? I can't find it anywhere if they do.

And, although I can't find the price for the R200's printhead, Epson charge
£46.66 for a printhead for their Epson Stylus Photo 830. They are more of a
hassle to change, but its no more than a couple of screws and a few clips or
so.

Old February 4th 05, 01:31 AM
Hecate

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:13:00 +0100, "latet" wrote:

Overseas both of these printers can print on CDs but not in the US.

Interesting. Do you know why?
Thanks,

Apparently some sort of legal wrangle over a patent. We also get
other goodies you don't get like the Gray Balancer for the Epson 2100
(2200).

--

Hecate - The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
Old February 4th 05, 02:00 AM
Harvey

"Hecate" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:13:00 +0100, "latet" wrote:

Overseas both of these printers can print on CDs but not in the US.

Interesting. Do you know why?
Thanks,

Apparently some sort of legal wrangle over a patent. We also get
other goodies you don't get like the Gray Balancer for the Epson 2100
(2200).

Do you get the "Oh, aren't Epson being generous by giving us some paper with
the printer" pack? Consisting of THREE sheets of 4"x6" thin photo paper?

- They really spare no expense do they

Old February 4th 05, 02:50 AM
measekite

Some people also question the durability of 3rd party inks. Some even
say that the inks fade in a month just sitting on a desk. My prints
from a Canon IP4000 using factory inks on Canon Photo Paper Pro have not
faded in 90 days but who knows how long it will take.

I have some slides that have faded in 20 years and others in the same
box that have not.

Old February 4th 05, 12:30 PM
Arthur Entlich

It shouldn't overheat. At least the head shouldn't, and I'd be
surprised the carriage motors and such are not designed for that kind of
use.

Piezo heads generate almost no heat. Unlike thermal heads which
sometimes have to shut themselves down for cool down, the only sensor I
am aware of within the heads of Epson printers is to check temperature
for adjusting the the sequence timing due to changes in ink viscosity
(due to temperature).

Having said this I make no warranty that some part of the printer might
not break down or fail. Epson likely reports on the duty cycle for the
printer somewhere.

Art

latet wrote:

Is it safe for Epson R300 to print continuously
for many hours (for example: 500 pages with text and some color graphisc)?
Won't it overheat or something?

I'm going to buy R300 to print 20-30 photos per month
(for my own private use),
but... a friend just asked me if I would be able to print
a couple of hundreds pages for him from time to time.
He would pay me for the ink, so this is no problem,
but what about the printer?

What is the recomended maximum of pages per month?
Is there a known safe max. of pages in a row?

Thanks,

latet

Old February 4th 05, 12:32 PM
Arthur Entlich

US printers are slow learners? ;-)

There have been some licensing issues that differ between the various
countries regarding who owns the rights to this type of technology.

Art

Old February 5th 05, 01:28 AM
Hecate

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 02:00:21 GMT, "Harvey"
wrote:

"Hecate" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:13:00 +0100, "latet" wrote:

Overseas both of these printers can print on CDs but not in the US.

Interesting. Do you know why?
Thanks,

Apparently some sort of legal wrangle over a patent. We also get
other goodies you don't get like the Gray Balancer for the Epson 2100
(2200).

Do you get the "Oh, aren't Epson being generous by giving us some paper with
the printer" pack? Consisting of THREE sheets of 4"x6" thin photo paper?

- They really spare no expense do they

g Only 3? I got 10 ;-)

--

Hecate - The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
Old February 5th 05, 01:30 AM
Hecate

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 02:50:06 GMT, measekite
wrote:

Some people also question the durability of 3rd party inks. Some even
say that the inks fade in a month just sitting on a desk. My prints
from a Canon IP4000 using factory inks on Canon Photo Paper Pro have not
faded in 90 days but who knows how long it will take.

Cheap inks will do that. C0omparable inks will not. But then, you're
not saving any money unless you buy into a CIS like the one from
Permajet.

latet wrote:

Most of the threads in this forum where people have had problems with
clogging have been with cheap ink. That goes for all brands of printer.

That's what many people tell me. Not the print quality, but clogging
is the problem with cheap ink. Esp. with Epsons - for the printing
head is not replaceble.

As opposed to Canon where the problem is the print head burning out.

--

Hecate - The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
Old February 5th 05, 02:51 AM
Harvey

"measekite" wrote in message
. ..
Some people also question the durability of 3rd party inks. Some even say
that the inks fade in a month just sitting on a desk. My prints from a
Canon IP4000 using factory inks on Canon Photo Paper Pro have not faded in
90 days but who knows how long it will take.

looky here http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/124/inkj.../products.html -
read the reviews of Canon printers, especially the parts like

"Also worth noting is that Canon photos aren't particularly light fast. Even
if kept behind glass, they'll fade quicker than with other inkjets. If you
cherish photos, look elsewhere."

They published a review in their monthly magazine that showed that some of
the 3rd party inks perform better than Canon's ink. (Lexmark's ink was
bottom of the pile -fading to just cyan after 6 months in sunlight, and
Kodak papers are bad too). Its a shame the test isn't published on the
website anywhere...

There's a lot more about lightfastness of inks here
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ but I can't really be bothered to be honest
to read through it all