Umax Astra 1200S Moire pattern getting worse

Old September 5th 07, 07:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
[email protected]

Default Umax Astra 1200S Moire pattern getting worse

If anyone can offer advice on this I would really appreciate it.

I've had this UMAX Astra 100S for 5 years and primarily use it to scan
comic book covers for storage. I use the VistaScan software and have
descreening on. I have used the same settings for the past 5 years and
have never had a moire pattern problem on the scans.

However, in the last 2 months, I am noticing a worsening moire pattern
with about 50% of my scans. I am wonderinging if the lamp on the
sacnner is deteriorating and causing this as I see no other reason for
the moire pattern to start appearing.

Does anybody have experience or suggestions on what may be happening?
Old September 5th 07, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

wrote in message
If anyone can offer advice on this I would really appreciate it.

I've had this UMAX Astra 100S for 5 years and primarily use it to scan
comic book covers for storage. I use the VistaScan software and have
descreening on. I have used the same settings for the past 5 years and
have never had a moire pattern problem on the scans.

However, in the last 2 months, I am noticing a worsening moire pattern
with about 50% of my scans. I am wonderinging if the lamp on the
sacnner is deteriorating and causing this as I see no other reason for
the moire pattern to start appearing.

Does anybody have experience or suggestions on what may be happening?

You may need to clean the inside of the scanner, Platen (glass), mirrors,
lens, and any filters.
I do not have instruction for a Umax, but you can get the idea from my
cleaning the Canon 8400F.
http://www.carlmcmillan.com/CanonScanner/Canon.htm

Any smoke from cigarettes or a wood fire will add a haze to the scans, smoke
goes everywhere and gets on everything.

You could try the Manual method of descreening and see if the scanner is
going bad. Or if the software needs to be re-installed.

http://www.scantips.com/basics6c.html

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old September 6th 07, 07:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
[email protected]

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:50:57 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate that. I thought that
might be part of it and I took the scanner apart and cleaned the glass
and blew out any debris. I did not clean the lens or mirror so that
may be the problem. I'll try that next.

I have tried manual descreening. It works but the resulting image is
not as clear as it normally is with the descreening that takes place
during the scan.

I also purchased Silverfast AI figuring I'd try that software out.

Hal