Differnece between DVD+_ R/RW

Old October 12th 03, 07:20 PM
Tai Tze Hou \(Alvin\)

Default Differnece between DVD+_ R/RW

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between DVD+R,
DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW?

the regular DVD that we rent from say....blockbuster exist in which format?

is there such thing as CD-R, CD+RW, CD+R and CD-RW?

it's too confusing.

I want to purchase a dvd burner but does all dvd burner duplicates normal CD
also?

Thank you.

Old October 13th 03, 09:07 AM
Hawkeye

Get yourself a Sony DRU510A 199.99 at newegg.com

Best thing on market and does all formats

ASUS P4T533 mobo
Intel P4 2.8 GHz 533MHz
ASUS V8460 Ultra GeForce 4 Ti 4600
1024 Samsung 32-Bit RIMM 4200 1066MHz RAMBUS
RD1-8X Bios Savior
Enermax EG465P-VE FMA 430W PSU
Creative Labs Audigy 2
Sony DRU-500AX DVD+-RW
TDK VeloCD 48X16X48X CD-RW
TOSHIBA SD-M1612 DVD
Seagate 80GB 7200RPM
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM
WD 60GB 5400RPM
WD 40GB 5400RPM
Promise ULTRA 133 TX2 Controller
Dlink DFE530TX+ PCI nic
Motorola Surfboard SB3100 cable modem
Linksys BEFSR41 router
Windows XP Home SP1
Direct X 9.0
Old October 13th 03, 02:27 PM
S.SubZero

DVD+R (and +RW) is one format. Larger market players like Sony and HP like
this format (www.dvdrw.com)

DVD-R (and -RW) is another format. More OEM's like DVD-RW, like Mitsumi,
Pioneer, and Yamaha. All of Apple's DVD burning solutions are DVD-R, which
is a big boost. (www.dvdforum.com)

DVD+R is touted as having better compatiblity with standalone players. Burn
a DVD with DVD+R and your chances of reading it on your standlone player is
supposedly better than with DVD-R. Some studies have proven this to be
true, others haven't.

DVD-R used to have a huge cost advantage. DVD-R recorders used to cost 1/2
of a DVD+R recorder. While that margin has narrowed, DVD-R still has the
benefit of less expensive media.

The differences in performance and reliability of the media are negligable.
I think DVD+R is going to have dual-layer burning ability soon (cool) but
I'm sure DVD-R will have something similar soon enough.

-SSZ

Old October 13th 03, 02:44 PM
Gary Tait

Whereas On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:20:31 GMT, "Tai Tze Hou \(Alvin\)"
scribbled:
, I thus relpy:
Hi,

Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between DVD+R,
DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW?

Coprporate backing. Some companies chose not to join on with one
group, and formed there own,

the regular DVD that we rent from say....blockbuster exist in which format?

Pressed DVDs

is there such thing as CD-R, CD+RW, CD+R and CD-RW?

No. CD writeable tecnology, whent it matured, remained in one camp,
hence just one standard exists.

--
Gary J. Tait . Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat