Nvidia SLI, SLI's back with a vengeance

Old June 29th 04, 07:23 PM
Dark Avenger

Larry Roberts wrote in
:

On 28 Jun 2004 15:46:17 GMT, (Dark Avenger) wrote:

"SLIisBACK" wrote in
:

http://media.hardwareanalysis.com/ar...arge/11206.jpg
http://media.hardwareanalysis.com/ar...arge/11208.jpg
http://media.hardwareanalysis.com/ar...arge/11207.jpg

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1728/

_______________________________________________ ________________________
__ ___ ___
Nvidia SLI, SLI's back with a vengeance Jun 28, 2004, 07:30 AM

By the time this setup's price would come into most of the
game player's budget, the next great videocard chipset would hit the
market, boosting performance to rival, or surpass the dual card setup.
Unless the mainboard manufactuers start producing desktop mainnboards
with dual PCI-X slots, I don't see this as something that will take
off in the home user market.
Hell... By the time dual 12MB Voodoo2 SLI cards came into my
price range, the GF2 cards where dominating, and the GF3 cards where
about to hit the market.

Well, that indeed is a point.. why spend so much money... I guess it's for
bragging rights... to say that you are the fastest bitch on the market FOR
THAT MOMENT.

Yup, I know people like htat...gamers... hardcore gamers...go for nothing
less then the fastest... and see their moneys worth plummit in mere
months...

I self, well I buy products..when they are on good price... a price I am
willing to pay... I guess the most expensive thing about my rig is the
memory... 1 Gb of PC3200 DDR... Kingstong also ( not hyperX though ) ... so
even there I didn't invest to much..

Old June 29th 04, 10:27 PM
deimos

Unzar Jones wrote:

"SLIisBACK" wrote in message Nvidia steps up to the
plate today with the re-introduction of the SLI

concept on the GeForce 6800 series

What cpu(s) can keep up with it?
Should the electrician connect it straight to Edison's sub-
station or will any gas powered generator do?
What will this over the top money pit be worth a year
after purchase?

I guess I'll pass.

Maybe you're too young, but back when the V2's came out nearly the same
things were said about it. Overpriced, slot hogging, hot *******s. But
the legacy of the V2 SLI still lives to this day. I can remember when
even the 2nd generation of AGP cards came out (TNT2, various Rage cards,
S3, etc), people were very hesitant to give up the raw power of 2 V2 cards.

Old July 1st 04, 12:16 AM
J. Clarke

Folk wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:31:35 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Folk wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 05:46:26 GMT, (Redbrick)
wrote:

snip

_____________________________________________ _______________________________
___
Nvidia SLI, SLI's back with a vengeance Jun 28, 2004, 07:30 AM

snip

I never did like the SLI configuration...took up two PCI slots
and kept you from installing anything else....all for what???

...1024x768?? You've got to be kidding???

Why not make a long PCI card with multiple GPU daughter card snap-on
like a ram extender.

That would save us the few and precious PCI-E slots.

So I guess with so many extra GPU cards...they'll all need two dedicated
molex connectors?

I think I'll pass on that...

Redbrick..who Loves his CLK

What are you saving those PCI slots for anyway? The only thing
currently occupying my five PCI slots is a sound card. In these days
of onboard NIC's, onboard RAID, etc., etc., there is less of a need
for PCI slots.

It's not a "PCI slot", it's a "PCI _Express_" slot. There's a difference.

Since a PCI Express video card uses a completely different design
(16X) and form factor than a 'regular' PCI Express slot, what makes
you think that having two video slots will block a 'regular' slot?

No, a PCI Express video card does _not_ use "a completely different design
and form factor than a 'regular' PCI Express slot". Any PCI Express board
is _supposed_ to work in any PCI Express slot with the same number of lines
or higher. So a PCI Express 1X board is supposed to plug into that 16x
slot and work fine.

Further, Alienware says that they use all the available PCI Express lanes on
the Intel 7525 chipset in their dual processor design. The 7525 has 24 PCI
Express lines arranged as 1 16x and 1 8x that can be split into 2 4x. So
they don't even have a full 16x port for the second video board, let alone
any lanes left over for other devices.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old July 1st 04, 03:50 PM
First of One

This is actually a very good technique. Dividing the screen into two
load-balanced halves means there's no redundant texture memory usage like
3dfx's scanline interleaving, and no mouse lag like ATi's alternate-frame
rendering. Wicked3D had something similar a couple of years ago, but the
immature drivers back then produced a black line between the two image
halves.

The real card to watch for is the 6800GT, which may actually be affordable
in SLI config.

Old July 1st 04, 04:24 PM
John Lewis

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:50:21 GMT, "First of One"
wrote:

This is actually a very good technique. Dividing the screen into two
load-balanced halves means there's no redundant texture memory usage like
3dfx's scanline interleaving, and no mouse lag like ATi's alternate-frame
rendering. Wicked3D had something similar a couple of years ago, but the
immature drivers back then produced a black line between the two image
halves.

The real card to watch for is the 6800GT, which may actually be affordable
in SLI config.

Agreed !!

Once you have a PCI-Express chip-set that will support 2 or more
PCI-express sockets. The nforce4 chip-set, still in design at nVidia,
is very likely to do just that. And may for the first time make me
thinkvery seriously about leaving the Intel camp. Athlon 64 FX53
939-pin-- unlocked overclock, plus nForce4, plus dual 6800GT
PCI-express in SLI-configuration; the thought makes me really drool,
( and my pocket-book wilt ).

As far as the enthusiast community goes, Intel has really lost their
way in the past year. Besides power-hungry Prescott, the latest
Intel miss-step is to DELIBERATELY build-in a 10% overclock limit
into the 915/925 chip-sets. Intel has again become arrogant - they
periodically do that until the threat of real competition beats them
over the head.

John Lewis

Old July 1st 04, 05:10 PM
Tim

"SLIisBACK" wrote in message
http://media.hardwareanalysis.com/ar...arge/11206.jpg
http://media.hardwareanalysis.com/ar...arge/11208.jpg
http://media.hardwareanalysis.com/ar...arge/11207.jpg

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1728/

___
Nvidia SLI, SLI's back with a vengeance Jun 28, 2004, 07:30 AM

Smells like desperation to me. Seems like they can't keep up ATI's
technology so they're going for the brute force approach. Ironically,
NVidia criticized 3dfx for the same thing back in the late nineties.

Old July 1st 04, 05:38 PM
Folk

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:16:52 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Since a PCI Express video card uses a completely different design
(16X) and form factor than a 'regular' PCI Express slot, what makes
you think that having two video slots will block a 'regular' slot?

No, a PCI Express video card does _not_ use "a completely different design
and form factor than a 'regular' PCI Express slot". Any PCI Express board
is _supposed_ to work in any PCI Express slot with the same number of lines
or higher. So a PCI Express 1X board is supposed to plug into that 16x
slot and work fine.

Further, Alienware says that they use all the available PCI Express lanes on
the Intel 7525 chipset in their dual processor design. The 7525 has 24 PCI
Express lines arranged as 1 16x and 1 8x that can be split into 2 4x. So
they don't even have a full 16x port for the second video board, let alone
any lanes left over for other devices.

OK, I've been wrong before, but look he

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherb...erwood-09.html

That shows the difference between a 1X and a 16X PCI slot. Now most
mobos (discounting exotic designs like Alienware) are going to come
with a single 16X and one or more 1X slots. You're saying that a 1X
card will fit in a 16X slot, and that may be true, but I doubt anyone
will actually do that.

I haven't seen any board layouts yet, but it's certainly possible that
a board with two 16X slots to accommodate an SLI setup would have the
1X slots positioned far enough away from the dual 16X slots to make
the concept of "wasting a slot" disappear. Wouldn't that make sense
to you too?

Old July 1st 04, 08:16 PM
CapFusion

Smells like desperation to me. Seems like they can't keep up ATI's
technology so they're going for the brute force approach. Ironically,
NVidia criticized 3dfx for the same thing back in the late nineties.

Desperation or not, I do not see anything wrong with this. If they have this
leverage, why not use it? ATi will find some technology or else try to trail
as close it can until they come up with something. This the cruel and brutal
of business. Technology will advance as rival find new way to be better than
the other.

CapFusion,...

Old July 1st 04, 08:30 PM
CapFusion

"Folk" wrote in message

OK, I've been wrong before, but look he

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherb...erwood-09.html

That shows the difference between a 1X and a 16X PCI slot. Now most
mobos (discounting exotic designs like Alienware) are going to come
with a single 16X and one or more 1X slots. You're saying that a 1X
card will fit in a 16X slot, and that may be true, but I doubt anyone
will actually do that.

I haven't seen any board layouts yet, but it's certainly possible that
a board with two 16X slots to accommodate an SLI setup would have the
1X slots positioned far enough away from the dual 16X slots to make
the concept of "wasting a slot" disappear. Wouldn't that make sense
to you too?

Both card will need both 16X PCI-E slot and with bridge -
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...628/index.html

CapFusion,...