NB voltage on M3A

Old August 5th 08, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rich[_13_]

Default NB voltage on M3A

Hello,
I have an Asus M3A with a Phenom 9750 CPU. I have been told I need to
set the NB voltage up in BIOS by +0.5v. I'm not sure which setting it
is, but I think it may be "CPU-NB" voltage". If so, It is set to AUTO,
and I have no idea what value the default is, so I can't figure the new
value. (I'm trying to max out my RAM). Thanks for any ideas on the matter.
Old August 5th 08, 05:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Rich wrote:
Hello,
I have an Asus M3A with a Phenom 9750 CPU. I have been told I need to
set the NB voltage up in BIOS by +0.5v. I'm not sure which setting it
is, but I think it may be "CPU-NB" voltage". If so, It is set to AUTO,
and I have no idea what value the default is, so I can't figure the new
value. (I'm trying to max out my RAM). Thanks for any ideas on the matter.

Does AMD Overdrive work on your board ?

I see sliders for various voltages. The M3A may only have a few
steps for some of them. Perhaps the "nominal" value will show up here.
(I.e. You don't have to use the utility, except to monitor what is
happening to the settings. The controls here are settings, and there may
not be enough channels on the hardware monitor, to measure
the actual voltage used.)

http://www.3dnews.ru/_imgdata/img/2007/11/20/65968.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...rive_2.10.html

Paul
Old August 5th 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rich[_13_]

Paul wrote:
Rich wrote:
[...]

I tried AOD again, but I still get a blue screen when I try to run it.
So I guess it won't work on this motherboard. Thanks anyway. I have a
request in to ASUS, but they haven't answered yet after 3 days.
Old August 6th 08, 12:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Rich" typed:
Hello,
I have an Asus M3A with a Phenom 9750 CPU. I have been told I need to
set the NB voltage up in BIOS by +0.5v. I'm not sure which setting it
is, but I think it may be "CPU-NB" voltage". If so, It is set to AUTO,
and I have no idea what value the default is, so I can't figure the
new value. (I'm trying to max out my RAM). Thanks for any ideas on
the matter.

The only M3A I've had here the NB got really hot at default values and 100%
CPU loads. Too hot to keep my finger on in fact. Also, it's a nasty, tiny
little heatsink on it and nobody makes an aftermarket 'sink that will fit to
do a better job. (I've read in forums of folks who've tried modifying other
'sinks, only to have the anchors pull out of the mobo.)

Short story; If I was running an M3A the last thing I'd be trying to do with
it is increase NB voltage.
--
Shaun.

Old August 6th 08, 05:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rich[_13_]

~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Now it's starting to make some sense. I think I saw your
posts on some forum[s]. I hope its ok and wise to increase the dram
voltage to 2.0v as I have done, since I decreased the memory speed to
667. It seemed ok at 1.95v as well. ASUS continues to ignore me. I
guess 6 gigs of system ram ain't bad with 1 gig of video ram? Thanks
again for not letting me fry my stuff.
Old August 7th 08, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_3_]

~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

I don't know why you'd ned to increase your RAM voltage if you're decreasing
your RAM speed (unless you're tightening your timings?)

Do you have a Memtest86 bootable CD or FDD that you can use to test your RAM
with? I prefer to not go above 1.8V unless the RAM is specced for higher
voltage. (Unles you're an overclocker, in which case this group isn't the
best one to get answers in, alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd would be
better.

ASUS continues to ignore me.

Yeah, you get that.

guess 6 gigs of system ram ain't bad with 1 gig of video ram?

LOL, that's heaps.

Thanks
again for not letting me fry my stuff.

You're welcome. That little NB 'sink is really the weak point of the M3A.
It's only something like 30mm square so even getting a small fan on it is
hard. The only one I had here that would fit was a 5V panasonic fan out of a
laptop and it only dropped the NB temp a couple degrees. Not a lot when
you're talking 76°C dropping to 74°.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.