graphics card help needed

Old March 23rd 07, 12:12 PM
Carrym Carrym is offline
Junior Member

Default graphics card help needed

My nine year old brother is desperate to play Lego Bionicle Heroes but our elderly P.C just isn't up to it. Error message says the graphics card needs to support pixel shaders 1.1.
Can't afford an expensive graphics card or new P.C. Can anyone suggest a really cheap card that is compatible with our machine and will run the game?
The only technical deatail I have about the machine is AGP 66/133Mz, VGA. and we have Windows XP.
The game gives min requirements as "DirectX 9.0c compatible cards with 64MB ram, supporting vertex shader 1.1 and pixel shaders 1.1."
I know little about computers (as I'm sure you can tell) so any help would be gratefully received!
Old March 23rd 07, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skipai Otter

Carrym wrote:
My nine year old brother is desperate to play Lego Bionicle Heroes but
our elderly P.C just isn't up to it. Error message says the graphics
card needs to support pixel shaders 1.1.
Can't afford an expensive graphics card or new P.C. Can anyone suggest
a really cheap card that is compatible with our machine and will run
the game?
The only technical deatail I have about the machine is AGP 66/133Mz,
VGA. and we have Windows XP.
The game gives min requirements as "DirectX 9.0c compatible cards with
64MB ram, supporting vertex shader 1.1 and pixel shaders 1.1."
I know little about computers (as I'm sure you can tell) so any help
would be gratefully received!

You should get away with a cheap Geforce 6200 which are about £30 with 128mb
ram, AGP now. Should be about $19.99 where you are if you're in the States.
That has pixel shaders 3.0 so game should run on that. Not sure about how
well, depends if your cpu meets requirements as well as the ram.

--
Skipai

Old March 23rd 07, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
No One

Carrym wrote:
My nine year old brother is desperate to play Lego Bionicle Heroes but
our elderly P.C just isn't up to it. Error message says the graphics
card needs to support pixel shaders 1.1.
Can't afford an expensive graphics card or new P.C. Can anyone suggest
a really cheap card that is compatible with our machine and will run
the game?
The only technical deatail I have about the machine is AGP 66/133Mz,
VGA. and we have Windows XP.
The game gives min requirements as "DirectX 9.0c compatible cards with
64MB ram, supporting vertex shader 1.1 and pixel shaders 1.1."
I know little about computers (as I'm sure you can tell) so any help
would be gratefully received!

What do you mean by "really cheap"?

Here's a very good AGP card that doesn't cost much more than the
PCI-express equav.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=321108

Old March 23rd 07, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Skipai Otter" wrote in message

Carrym wrote:
[...]

I'm having a wry chuckle to myself at the thought of a PC so old it needs to
be upgraded to shader model 1.1. :-)

Old March 23rd 07, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Slap

Try to find a small computer shop... one man operation or something like
that. They might have such a card they will give you. Also see if there is
a 'forsale' newsgroup in your town. Ask there. Someone will give you one I
am sure.

Old March 23rd 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Skipai Otter wrote:
Carrym wrote:
[...]

The comment at the bottom here, says the 6200 card worked with an
AGP 2X/4X slot.

And the table here shows three entries for the AGP version of 6200.
They support at least PS 2.0 and VS 2.0. I don't know how you can
tell which variant you are getting when you buy one.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/

If you look at the picture of that card, it has two slots cut in it,
meaning it is keyed "universal", and would work with either 1.5V
or 3.3V. Pretty well the same as the FX5200.

Paul