Any motherboard with onboard DVI video?

Old January 1st 08, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_2_]

Default Any motherboard with onboard DVI video?

A friend wants me to build him a new system. He doesn't want to buy a
PCI Express display card since his video needs are very basic (no
games or graphics editing). But wants to be able to use the DVI
connection on his monitor.

I'm having no luck finding an Intel-based board with video out other
than regular VGA D-sub. Does one with DVI out even exist? Of course,
I'm guessing if it does it would probably cost more than a reasonably
priced motherboard AND video card with DVI out.

Thanks for your help.

Larc

Old January 1st 08, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Knowlden

Sure.

They are all DDR2, Socket 775 boards. The first one uses the Q35 chipset,
while the second two use the G33. I have no personal experience with them.

The cost savings over an inexpensive mainboard using an Intel chipset of
similar vintage (P35) and a cheapish discrete PCIE16X graphics card ($50)
are minimal, although the integrated graphics solution can be a little less.
Unless the performance of onboard graphics has improved a lot since the ones
I've seen, I recommend the discrete solution. (What OS? If it's Vista, the
3D performance may matter if he wishes to use the Aero Glass interface.)

HTH.

Return address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

Old January 1st 08, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Hello Larc:
I recently built a new pc with an Intel motherboard and used an
inexpensive add2 PCIE card available from Intel. It utilizes the
onboard graphics from Intel and allows you to use either one or 2
Monitors with independent resolution thru DVI-D connections. I
believe the add2 card I purchased from Intel was $23.00 + shipping.
They have a single DVI output add2 card for only $13. The Intel
graphics on recent boards has improved greatly although I still
wouldn't recommend them for those who do a lot of gaming with the
recent games out. The video picture is as good as or better than I
got when I was using a 7600GT Nvidia PCIE card and it runs flawlessly
unlike the Nvidia card with Vista drivers that I had before. You
should probably use an E4500 or better cpu for best results. Any
Intel m-board with the G965 chipset or higher will produce the best
results. According to Intel the G965 chipset or higher will even
support HD displays. I'm using the DG965WH board that costs around
$100 and offers many media features. I had the Comcast man at my home
for a cablebox install and when he saw the picture on the monitor he
immediately said "Wow......you have a great picture on your monitor",
so I guess the add2 card would satisfy most people. To order it go to
the Intel sight, then to the Intel store and search for "add2 cards".

newnerd

Larc wrote:
A friend wants me to build him a new system. He doesn't want to buy a
PCI Express display card since his video needs are very basic (no
games or graphics editing). But wants to be able to use the DVI
connection on his monitor.

I'm having no luck finding an Intel-based board with video out other
than regular VGA D-sub. Does one with DVI out even exist? Of course,
I'm guessing if it does it would probably cost more than a reasonably
priced motherboard AND video card with DVI out.

Thanks for your help.

Larc

��� - Change planet to earth to reply by email - ���

Old January 1st 08, 06:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I forgot to mention that the add2 card and Intel onboard graphics work
just fine on my computer with Vista Ultimate 64-bit and the 32-bit
version before I switched to the 64-bit. The Vista rating for the
graphics is 3.8. It was 4.9 when I used the PCIE Nvidia card but the
system was not stable and with the Intel onboard graphics it runs
flawlessly. I tried everything to get the Nvidia card to work better
but even with their latest graphics drivers it was subject to
occasional freezes and in the last 2 months I've had no stability
problems with the Intel graphics driver using the add2 card.

newnerd
Old January 1st 08, 06:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_2_]

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 12:25:37 -0500, "Bob Knowlden"
wrote:

Sure.

They are all DDR2, Socket 775 boards. The first one uses the Q35 chipset,
while the second two use the G33. I have no personal experience with them.

The cost savings over an inexpensive mainboard using an Intel chipset of
similar vintage (P35) and a cheapish discrete PCIE16X graphics card ($50)
are minimal, although the integrated graphics solution can be a little less.
Unless the performance of onboard graphics has improved a lot since the ones
I've seen, I recommend the discrete solution. (What OS? If it's Vista, the
3D performance may matter if he wishes to use the Aero Glass interface.)

Thanks very much, Bob. I think the BLKDG33TLM will be OK if he can
live without a floppy. The OS will be XP SP2, so no super video
demands there.

Happy New Year!

Larc

Old January 1st 08, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Frank McCoy

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Larc wrote:

A friend wants me to build him a new system. He doesn't want to buy a
PCI Express display card since his video needs are very basic (no
games or graphics editing). But wants to be able to use the DVI
connection on his monitor.

I'm having no luck finding an Intel-based board with video out other
than regular VGA D-sub. Does one with DVI out even exist? Of course,
I'm guessing if it does it would probably cost more than a reasonably
priced motherboard AND video card with DVI out.

Thanks for your help.

Having just tried using the DVI connector (and paying considerable extra
for the cable!) I very hurriedly went BACK to my VGA connector for the
same display!

With the DVI connector, the card (actually SEVERAL cards) couldn't sense
that I had a wide-screen LCD display like the VGA connector would; and
forced me to use 1600x1200 as "default"; which made the display look
*terrible* in comparison to the incredibly sharp (and accurate) display
when running at native 1680x1050 resolution on the VGA connector.

Forget the DVI connector for the computer.
Use it for connecting a DVD player or TV.

--
_____
/ ' / â„¢
Old January 1st 08, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

wrote:

Sure.

They are all DDR2, Socket 775 boards. The first one uses the Q35 chipset,
while the second two use the G33. I have no personal experience with them..

The cost savings over an inexpensive mainboard using an Intel chipset of
similar vintage (P35) and a cheapish discrete PCIE16X graphics card ($50)
are minimal, although the integrated graphics solution can be a little less.
Unless the performance of onboard graphics has improved a lot since the ones
I've seen, I recommend the discrete solution. (What OS? If it's Vista, the
3D performance may matter if he wishes to use the Aero Glass interface.)

Thanks very much, Bob. I think the BLKDG33TLM will be OK if he can
live without a floppy. The OS will be XP SP2, so no super video
demands there.

Happy New Year!

Larc

You may have problems installing XP on that board with out a floppy
drive and there are very few external floppy drives for sale that will
work with built-in drivers for external floppy drives. I think the
board you selected is mainly designed for use with Vista although it
will work with XP if you can figure out how to "load additional
drivers" without a floppy since XP doesn't support anything but a
floppy for that purpose. I found 2 external floppy drives that will
work for an XP install.......one for about $75 and another only
available thru Amazon.com from the original owner(a risky purchase?).
To install XP I think you will find it better to use a board
supporting a standard floppy drive. If you google "external floppy
drive for XP install you'll find hundreds of posts of people who had
problems installing XP due to the requirement for a floppy drive.
With Vista you can use a floppy, cd or usb drive to load drivers
during the O.S. install .

newnerd
Old January 1st 08, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_2_]

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:20:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Thanks, newnerd. That cerstainly gives me something to think about.
Also now in the mix are some boards with Nvidia 7100 and 7150 chipsets
that have DVI out for about $75.

Happy New Year!

Larc

Old January 1st 08, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_2_]

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:36:47 -0600, Frank McCoy
wrote:

[...]

That's a problem I don't anticipate since the monitor that will be
used is a 19" 4:3 that has 1280x1024 as its native resolution. It's
an NEC less than a year old, so I doubt it would get updated by a
friend in his 70s I'll be building the computer for.

Happy New Year!

Larc

Old January 1st 08, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_2_]

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:40:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Does XP look for a floppy during install and get upset if it can't
find one? I've installed XP dozens of times and have never had to use
a floppy for the process. Although there are floppy drives on all my
computers and usually on those I build for others, I never use them
except for running Memtest86+ and similar programs. And even Memtest
will run from a CD.

Just remembered one other thing I use floppy drives for... I run a
WinME startup floppy and load BIOS updates into the virtual drive it
creates so I can flash from there.

Larc