Internal or External drive for back-ups?

Old December 31st 07, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Crackles McFarly

Default Internal or External drive for back-ups?

I want to be able to backup less than 80GB of data including basically
a mirror image so as to avoid re-installing the OS and other things.

Should I go with a cheap internal 80-ish GB hard drive OR an external
drive that is NEAR 80gb????

I know the Internal ones are cheaper but sometimes cheaper isn't the
best as we all know.

thanks

Old December 31st 07, 04:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

Crackles McFarly wrote:
I want to be able to backup less than 80GB of data including basically
a mirror image so as to avoid re-installing the OS and other things.

Should I go with a cheap internal 80-ish GB hard drive OR an external
drive that is NEAR 80gb????

I know the Internal ones are cheaper but sometimes cheaper isn't the
best as we all know.

thanks

What happens when there's a catastrophic malfunction and your backups
are on an internal drive?

Why not just buy and external case and an 80Gb+ drive and backup to
that? When the backup is finished unplug it and put it away in another room.

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old December 31st 07, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_5_]

"Crackles McFarly" wrote in message
I want to be able to backup less than 80GB of data including basically
a mirror image so as to avoid re-installing the OS and other things.

Should I go with a cheap internal 80-ish GB hard drive OR an external
drive that is NEAR 80gb????

I know the Internal ones are cheaper but sometimes cheaper isn't the
best as we all know.

thanks

'External' is the only way to go for backing up. otherwise your NOT backing up, your just
copying the drive for later potential failure. I really don't like to use hard drives for
backups, but since the advent of GIGS of data, it becomes a necessity.

Old December 31st 07, 05:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Me[_4_]

"JAD" wrote in message

"Crackles McFarly" wrote in message
I want to be able to backup less than 80GB of data including basically
a mirror image so as to avoid re-installing the OS and other things.

Should I go with a cheap internal 80-ish GB hard drive OR an external
drive that is NEAR 80gb????

I know the Internal ones are cheaper but sometimes cheaper isn't the
best as we all know.

thanks

'External' is the only way to go for backing up. otherwise your NOT
backing up, your just copying the drive for later potential failure. I
really don't like to use hard drives for backups, but since the advent of
GIGS of data, it becomes a necessity.

External is the only ???

why not an 80+ gig added to a vacant connector internal SATA or IDE. No case
cost then.

Old December 31st 07, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
isaac4all

I will strongly advice you go for an external drive. BECAUSE
1. You can backup your files.
2. easily use your files in another system without making the hard
disk a slave
3. You do not have to always have to open your computer.
4. You can keep your hard disk away with your backed up files in a
very safe place.

THOSE ARE THE FOUR REASONS I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU TO GET AN external
hard disk.

Here are website to get computer components cheap at a reduced price
TigerDirect
http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...pe= 4&subid=0

So as an computer engineer that is the solution.

Isaac okoye
Information Rules the World
http://www.finditall100free.ds4a.com/onlines.htm
Old December 31st 07, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

External is the only ???

why not an 80+ gig added to a vacant connector internal SATA or IDE. No case
cost then.

An internal drive is always on (spinning - unless you disconnect the
power) when ever your system is on - so basically it has the same risk
of failure as your system drive at any time. If you look around,
there are many 500 GB external USB drive (including HD enclosure) for
around 100 bucks or so.

Old December 31st 07, 06:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Weiss[_2_]

wrote...

An internal drive is always on (spinning - unless you disconnect the
power) when ever your system is on - so basically it has the same risk
of failure as your system drive at any time.

Not necessarily true. Most modern computers have power-saving settings that
turn off unused HDs. The HD with the OS may continue spinning, but data drives
not being written to will spin down.

Old December 31st 07, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

John Weiss wrote:
wrote...

An internal drive is always on (spinning - unless you disconnect the
power) when ever your system is on - so basically it has the same risk
of failure as your system drive at any time.

Not necessarily true. Most modern computers have power-saving settings that
turn off unused HDs. The HD with the OS may continue spinning, but data drives
not being written to will spin down.

Here is just my opinion is that the power-saving 'feature' is the
devil in disguise: too many spind up/spind down cycles is not that
healthy for the HD either; not to mention that the HD would pull more
power to when spind up. I believe it's best to keep the HD
constantly on because it's would use very little power due to momentum
and less stress on the mechanism. BTW, more HD in the system would
also generate more heat.

Back to the internal/external backup drive topic - internal drive also
has the risk of failure when other components in your system goes
kapupp - especially the powersupply; or bad power surge, ....

Anyway, each person has his/her own way of backing his/her system and
depend on how valuable the data.

Old December 31st 07, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
harikeo

JAD wrote:
"Crackles McFarly" wrote in message
I want to be able to backup less than 80GB of data including basically
a mirror image so as to avoid re-installing the OS and other things.

Should I go with a cheap internal 80-ish GB hard drive OR an external
drive that is NEAR 80gb????

I know the Internal ones are cheaper but sometimes cheaper isn't the
best as we all know.

thanks

'External' is the only way to go for backing up. otherwise your NOT backing up, your just
copying the drive for later potential failure. I really don't like to use hard drives for
backups, but since the advent of GIGS of data, it becomes a necessity.

I use internal and external drives. I have 1 working copy and 2 backup
copies of my data.

T:\ -- Internal Drive SATA
W:\ -- USB Drive
\\server\ -- Internal Drive SATA

Using Second Copy it's a breeze to make different profiles but the
general idea is below.

T:\Data\*.* -- W:\Backup Data\
W:\Backup data\*.* -- \\server\backup$\Backup Data

Old December 31st 07, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Weiss[_2_]

"harikeo" wrote...

I use internal and external drives. I have 1 working copy and 2 backup
copies of my data.

My data is mirrored on 2 computers (desktop and laptop), is backed up on a
separate internal HD, and imaged on an external HD.