P3V133 cmos error

Old March 22nd 06, 08:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default P3V133 cmos error

Hi

I just receive a motherboard from a friend

when i connect it and switch it on i receive the following message

"Award bootblock bios V1.0
Bios Rom Checksum Error
Detecting floppy drive A media disk....
Insert system disk and press enter..."

Plz help me what to do

What i mean i fixed all of my device is that I have removed all of them
and refix them

Yea i have installed all my hard drives on the other motherboard. the
floppy hdd memory and vga card

The problem is that i cannot even enter the bios to modify anything.

Plz help me,,,

Thanks

Old March 22nd 06, 11:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article .com,
wrote:

Hi

I just receive a motherboard from a friend

when i connect it and switch it on i receive the following message

"Award bootblock bios V1.0
Bios Rom Checksum Error
Detecting floppy drive A media disk....
Insert system disk and press enter..."

Plz help me what to do

What i mean i fixed all of my device is that I have removed all of them
and refix them

Yea i have installed all my hard drives on the other motherboard. the
floppy hdd memory and vga card

The problem is that i cannot even enter the bios to modify anything.

Plz help me,,,

Thanks

First step, is get a manual:

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sl...p3v133-102.pdf

Second step, is don't panic.

Your BIOS is complaining, that the BIOS checksum is incorrect.
One reason for this, is the BIOS chip contents could really
be corrupted. (For example, your friend may have attempted to
update the BIOS, and the update failed.)

A second reason a BIOS checksum operation can fail, is the
CPU is overclocked too high. First, record the position of
the "Bus Freq" jumpers. Try reducing the CPU below its
current value, while keeping the PCI bus frequency at 33MHz.
PDF page 18 of the manual shows the possible positions of
the jumper plugs. (Change the jumper plugs, with the computer
switched off and unplugged.) Now, restart the computer and see
if the BIOS works any better.

The BIOS consists of two parts. The majority of the BIOS chip
is the "Main" part. There is a tiny portion called the "Boot
Block". The functionality of the Boot Block, has changed a bit
over the years, but one of its most basic functions, is to
allow booting from a floppy. Booting from the floppy, would
allow a program to be executed, such as the BIOS flash program.

The "Boot Block" code has poor hardware support. Since you are
able to see some text on your monitor, we know that the Boot
Block is able to use your current video card (maybe it is PCI
and that is why it worked - I understand that an AGP card
would remain dark).

To prepare the floppy, the floppy should have DOS boot files
on it. In addition, there should be an "autoexec.bat" file,
with a couple lines in the file. This web page:

http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/Computer/FlashBios.html

shows a sample of an autoexec.bat file, as in:

@ECHO OFF
Awdflash.exe VN210427.bin /cks9d20 /sn /cc /cd /cp /r /py

When the Boot Block BIOS code boots from that DOS floppy,
the autoexec.bat is executed automatically, and in that
example, two additional files would have to be on the
floppy. Awdflash.exe is a BIOS flashing program, and
VN210427.bin is a BIOS file downloaded from the nmanufacturer's
web site. But those details are for another motherboard,
and not for the one you are working on.

In your case, you need to determine the name of the flashing
program which is used to reflash the BIOS. The manual mentions
"Aflash" as the flashing program. Now, I've never done a
Boot Block flash, so I don't know what system features work and
don't work. Since you can see the screen, that means you can
interact with the system, and if the keyboard were to work,
you might not even need to prepare an autoexec.bat file.
If you are not able to enter any input at the DOS prompt
(assuming you get that far), then using an autoexec.bat file
would provide a way of automating the flashing process. The
flashing program _must_ support command line switches, if the
program is to be used in a non-interactive mode. And not
all flashing programs do that. Some programs are interactive
only, which means an autoexec.bat method won't work properly.
(Since you can still see the screen, you are more fortunate
than most people who have a BIOS problem.)

So, to summarize:

1) Try to stabilize the machine. Reduce any overclock. See
if the BIOS recovers and runs.
2) If the BIOS stubbornly reports a checksum error, you need
to reflash the BIOS. The "Boot Block" approach involves
booting from a DOS floppy. If you can execute and run
the flash program (Aflash.exe), do so. Otherwise, you will
need to construct an autoexec.bat file, to do the flashing
for you. Try to select "do not program boot block" when
running the program, to at least try to protect the
boot block itself from getting corrupted. In your first
attempt to reflash the BIOS, all you want to flash, is
the "main" part of the code.
3) If you are making no progress, go to badflash.com and
get a new BIOS chip, programmed with a BIOS from the
Asus web site. That will cost about $25. Alternately,
if a computer store where you live offers a BIOS flashing
service, get them to reprogram your BIOS chip. If the
chip is in a socket, you can pull the chip out of the
socket, and take it to the store. When you pull the
chip from the socket (with computer unplugged), try
to store the chip in an antistatic bag, such as the
bag that the motherboard came in. That will help protect
the chip from static electricity.

HTH,
Paul
Old March 22nd 06, 08:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:39:08 GMT, Paul wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Can't he also get a BIOS checksum error if the BIOS was flashed and then
the CMOS was not cleared by using the clear bios jumper setting?

Patty
Old March 22nd 06, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I just receive a motherboard from a friend

when i connect it and switch it on i receive the following message

"Award bootblock bios V1.0
Bios Rom Checksum Error
Detecting floppy drive A media disk....
Insert system disk and press enter..."

Plz help me what to do

What i mean i fixed all of my device is that I have removed all of them
and refix them

Yea i have installed all my hard drives on the other motherboard. the
floppy hdd memory and vga card

The problem is that i cannot even enter the bios to modify anything.

Plz help me,,,

Thanks

Use clear CMOS jumper! Are you using USB keyboard? Try PS/2 keyboard.
MIke.