A Random Freezing/Rebooting Mystery

Old January 1st 08, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dudeman

Default A Random Freezing/Rebooting Mystery

I recently began building a new computer. Specs being.
2.2ghz Intel Core 2
2gb of DDR2 800mhz
Raedon HD2600pro
small 160gb harddrive SATA
18x dvd/cd burner SATA
500w psu(came with the case)

As the story goes, I built this computer and all is good and well.
Problems showed when I began the installation of the OS(Windows vista
ultimate 64bit). During the installation the computer would seemingly
randomly reboot or freeze. After about 3 or 4 attempts at installing
the OS it finally succeeded. Although the OS was finally installed the
issues were still present. The computer randomly restarts or freezes. It
will freeze or restart particularly when I’m installing something or
when I’m playing a game. Although I’ve also come upon the computer
frozen in the screen saver (mystify). It even rebooted as I was
attempting to write this the first time. The things I did to attempt to
fix the issue are as follows.

First thing I did to attempt to fix this problem was to swap the
motherboard (with the same model) that didn’t fix the issue. Next I
swapped the processor and the ram. I was pretty sure that wasn’t the
issue but I did it anyway and that didn’t fix anything. Next I put in a
known working Power supply. It’s one that comes from a computer without
freezing/rebooting issues. It was 450w from another computer in the
house. That didn’t fix the issue

The computer does have an issue where it “hesitates” to power up. It’s
hard to describe but it turns on for a second and turns off, like a car
that’s having trouble starting. It won’t do that all the time but it
will do it most of the time but once it’s on it’ll stay on. It won’t
randomly shut down completely. Putting the 450w psu made the
“hesitation” issue even worse. I’m not sure that has anything to do with
the freezing/rebooting but that’s also an issue. It’s hard for me to
think that 500w is not enough for computer that doesn’t have all that
much. So I’m pretty sure that’s not the problem but it could be. I
don’t know all that much about computer power consumption.

I’m completely stumped on this random freezing/rebooting issue. I don’t
mind the occasional freeze but this is frequent. Could it be a software
issue? Possibly a driver issue? I have no idea. If anyone has any ideas
I would appreciate it immensely. If anyone has any questions to clarify
anything ask away.

Old January 2nd 08, 02:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Frank McCoy

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Dudeman
wrote:

I recently began building a new computer. Specs being.
2.2ghz Intel Core 2
2gb of DDR2 800mhz
Raedon HD2600pro
small 160gb harddrive SATA
18x dvd/cd burner SATA
500w psu(came with the case)

As the story goes, I built this computer and all is good and well.
Problems showed when I began the installation of the OS(Windows vista
ultimate 64bit). During the installation the computer would seemingly
randomly reboot or freeze. After about 3 or 4 attempts at installing
the OS it finally succeeded. Although the OS was finally installed the
issues were still present. The computer randomly restarts or freezes. It
will freeze or restart particularly when I? installing something or
when I? playing a game. Although I?e also come upon the computer
frozen in the screen saver (mystify). It even rebooted as I was
attempting to write this the first time. The things I did to attempt to
fix the issue are as follows.

First thing I did to attempt to fix this problem was to swap the
motherboard (with the same model) that didn? fix the issue. Next I
swapped the processor and the ram. I was pretty sure that wasn? the
issue but I did it anyway and that didn? fix anything. Next I put in a
known working Power supply. It? one that comes from a computer without
freezing/rebooting issues. It was 450w from another computer in the
house. That didn? fix the issue

The computer does have an issue where it ?esitates?to power up. It?
hard to describe but it turns on for a second and turns off, like a car
that? having trouble starting. It won? do that all the time but it
will do it most of the time but once it? on it?l stay on. It won?
randomly shut down completely. Putting the 450w psu made the
?esitation?issue even worse. I? not sure that has anything to do with
the freezing/rebooting but that? also an issue. It? hard for me to
think that 500w is not enough for computer that doesn? have all that
much. So I? pretty sure that? not the problem but it could be. I
don? know all that much about computer power consumption.

I? completely stumped on this random freezing/rebooting issue. I don?
mind the occasional freeze but this is frequent. Could it be a software
issue? Possibly a driver issue? I have no idea. If anyone has any ideas
I would appreciate it immensely. If anyone has any questions to clarify
anything ask away.

Run Memtest86+ on it for a few hours.

--
_____
/ ' / â„¢
Old January 2nd 08, 01:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"Dudeman" wrote in message
news

[...]

500W, or even 450W should be enough for your build. The problem is, you
can't trust listed ratings on MOST power supplies. A good quality 350W
power supply will have more power than a cheapie 500W power supply will.

All power supplies that come with cases are junk. No exceptions that I've
ever seen. I'd strongly advise you to throw away that 500W power supply.
You don't say what make/model the 450W power supply is, but ...

Your listed symptoms exactly match JUNK power supply (and/or under-powered
power supply). Another computer being OK with the 450W power supply
suggests that the 450W power supply is probably working OK, but it could
still be under-powered for your new build! Think about towing a loaded
eighteen-wheeler with a Corolla. (If it can't be done, that doesn't mean
that the Corolla is bad.)

As someone else mentioned, bad RAM could also cause your symptoms. Keep in
mind that your *video card* has RAM on it.
Your suspects, in order of likelihood from greatest to least:
1) Under-powered power supply (98%)
2) Bad Video Card, or bad RAM on video card (1.9%)
3) Bad RAM. (highly unlikely, as you've already tried that)

There is also the possibility (though slim) that you've got a compatibility
issue between your motherboard and RAM, between your motherboard and video
card, or even between your motherboard and CPU. In other words, all
individual components might be good, just not with each other. But you'd
have to do some serious research to find out if that is a possibility.

I'd suggest that (after verifying all individual components are supposed to
play nice with all other components) you try a new power supply. That is
the most likely suspect, and you should be using a good quality name-brand
power supply anyway. So the current power supply is a problem, even if it's
NOT currently causing your symptoms. That's why I think it would be
smartest to start with the power supply.

Try one of the following, if it is compatible with your motherboard and
video card (check!) -Dave

Old January 2nd 08, 06:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill

In article ews.net,
says...
snip

All power supplies that come with cases are junk. No exceptions that I've
ever seen.

There are exceptions.

snip

Bill
Old January 2nd 08, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
says...
snip

All power supplies that come with cases are junk. No exceptions that
I've
ever seen.

There are exceptions.

snip

Bill

Antec is hit or miss. Some of their supplies are good, some are junk. I
don't know about that specific model. But it's safest to assume that all
power supplies that come with cases are junk. Yes, even Antec. You don't
want to spend hundreds on new hardware just to discover that (ooops) you
guessed wrong on the power supply. It's just not worth the risk. -Dave

Old January 2nd 08, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill

In article ews.net,
says...

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
says...
snip

All power supplies that come with cases are junk. No exceptions that
I've
ever seen.

There are exceptions.

snip

Bill

Antec is hit or miss.

Depends on the product line.

Some of their supplies are good, some are junk.

Depends on the product line.

don't know about that specific model.

Obviously.

But it's safest to assume that all
power supplies that come with cases are junk.

No. It's safest to do due diligence and research what you're looking
for.

Yes, even Antec.

Depends on the product line.

You don't
want to spend hundreds on new hardware just to discover that (ooops) you
guessed wrong on the power supply.

That's where doing your homework comes in.

It's just not worth the risk. -Dave

Those that don't do their homework when buying components are doomed
to get burned eventually. There is no more risk in buying a case with
a power supply that has a repectable reputation than in buying the
case and power supply separatly. I do agree that there are a metric
buttload of cases with crap power supplies out there. That's where
the homework part comes in.

Bill

Old January 3rd 08, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
w_tom

On Jan 1, 11:57 am, Dudeman wrote:
I'm completely stumped on this random freezing/rebooting issue. I don't
mind the occasional freeze but this is frequent. Could it be a software
issue? Possibly a driver issue? I have no idea. If anyone has any ideas
I would appreciate it immensely. If anyone has any questions to clarify
anything ask away.

Others have discussed some of the most likely possibilities.
However, the one subsystem that can cause all other components to
appear defective is the supply 'system'. Notice, the 'system' is more
than just a power supply.

How to step through and solve your problem is exactly what was
posted in another ongoing discussion entitled "bootup problem" in the
newsgroup microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support . The two
minute procedure to convert that power supply system from 'unknown' to
either 'definitively good' or 'definitively bad' is "When your
computer dies without warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the
newsgroup alt.windows-xp at:
http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh

Notice how so much information suddenly becomes available once those
numbers are reported. Yes it could be this or could be that. But the
process of actually solving the problem - doing as they say in CSI:
'follow the evidence - is defined in that other discussion. The OP
there had your same symptoms.

After the power supply 'system' is confirmed, only then do we move
on to other 'usual suspects'. As in CSI, 'follow the evidence'.
Old January 3rd 08, 02:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Andy

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:57:41 -0600, Dudeman
wrote:

I recently began building a new computer. Specs being.
2.2ghz Intel Core 2
2gb of DDR2 800mhz
Raedon HD2600pro
small 160gb harddrive SATA
18x dvd/cd burner SATA
500w psu(came with the case)

You specified everything but the motherboard.

[...]

Had you done this all at once you would have had two separate
computers side by side.

[...]

Try booting a live Linux CD.

Old May 6th 08, 01:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Tomlinson

In article ews.net,
Dave writes

All power supplies that come with cases are junk. No exceptions that I've
ever seen.

My AOpen case came with a 350W Fortron/Source PSU. FSP are one of the
better PSU makers.

M.

--
(\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!
(='.'=) http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Random rebooting MikeM Homebuilt PC's 7 December 14th 07 08:56 PM
My computer keeps freezing or rebooting by itself [email protected] General 0 June 13th 07 06:59 AM
Comp freezing up or rebooting Ati Videocards 6 April 12th 06 04:50 AM
random freezing/rebooting GWARslave General 1 July 12th 05 10:18 PM
Computer Rebooting / Freezing Leroy General Hardware 0 June 30th 04 06:46 PM