MSI G4Ti4200

Old September 12th 04, 02:27 PM
John

Default MSI G4Ti4200

MSI G4Ti4200-TD
ASUS A7V266-E
Audiophile 2496

This card has been fine under 98 and win 2000. On a clean install of XP the
PC freezes up each time I install *any of the XP drivers. I've tried the
lastest ones down to the oldest in the Nvidia archive. The pc runs but if I
try to open the nvidia options (to adjust hardware acceleration say) it
freezes. Same if I run explorer or anything else.
Short of starting from scratch what can I do to pin point the problem? XP
always picks it up on boot.

John

Old September 12th 04, 03:49 PM
PRIVATE1964

This card has been fine under 98 and win 2000. On a clean install of XP the
PC freezes up each time I install *any of the XP drivers. I've tried the
lastest ones down to the oldest in the Nvidia archive. The pc runs but if I
try to open the nvidia options (to adjust hardware acceleration say) it
freezes. Same if I run explorer or anything else.
Short of starting from scratch what can I do to pin point the problem? XP
always picks it up on boot.

It sounds like the same problem I had with a 4200. I traced it to Nvidia
Control Panel that loads from the drivers at startup. This is the line from the
registry %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

To test this use MSCONFIG and the selective startup and shut it off. Reboot the
computer and see if you have any problems. I never could figure out how toi
solve the problem. Somewhere along the line it got better, but I'm not sure
how.

I did find you could leave the Nvidia Control Panel disabled. You will not lose
any of the basic functions for the card. It controls overclocking, digital
vibrance...etc.
You could also use RivaTuner to get those functions back without having the
problems.

So I think the problem it is specific to the driver foir the Nvidia Control
Panel.

Old September 12th 04, 05:36 PM
Chingy

Did u add any new cards after windows 98 and windows 2000?

If yes it might be IRQ's problem that can be solved by going into BIOS and
reset resource control and UNTICK plug and play OS option...

Or removing same device which you had added previously(hardware)...

Ti card work just fine with XP

Old September 14th 04, 11:01 AM
John

"John" wrote in message
MSI G4Ti4200-TD
ASUS A7V266-E
Audiophile 2496

This card has been fine under 98 and win 2000. On a clean install of XP
the
PC freezes up each time I install *any of the XP drivers. I've tried the
lastest ones down to the oldest in the Nvidia archive. The pc runs but

if
try to open the nvidia options (to adjust hardware acceleration say) it
freezes. Same if I run explorer or anything else.
Short of starting from scratch what can I do to pin point the problem?

XP
always picks it up on boot.

John

I have narrowed the problem down a bit.
After a clean install the first I did was install the 61.77 drivers. No
problems everything runs fine. I install Doom 3 (and the version of direct x
it offered me) and it locks up straight away when I tried to run it;
straight away not even getting as far as the opening credits. I uninstall
doom but the problem persists - I can't run anything (iexplorer etc) without
the pc freezing. I uninstall the drivers and we are back to square one. Same
problem with FS2004 and like doom that has run fine before on the same
hardware. Updating the direct x version seems to make no difference.