Downgrading the BIOS of my p4p800-vm...possible?

Old January 2nd 04, 10:16 AM
KILOWATT

Default Downgrading the BIOS of my p4p800-vm...possible?

Hi thanks to read. Yes...you've read it right...i really meant
"downgrading"! :-) I'll explain first why i upgraded the BIOS and then why
i want to downgrade. When i purchased and installed this motherboard in
september 2003, i noticed that the temperature of the CPU and the case were
wrong when using the monitoring utility in the BIOS as well as with the ASUS
PC Probe even to it's latest version(2.22.03). I've posted before about
this problem and it seemed to be a "common" problem for many ones. Although
a BIOS upgrade from 1005 (original one) toward 1007 did solved another
issue, the temperature reading were still incorrect:
-Readings in the BIOS: 20°C for the CPU temp
and 36°C for the mb(motherboard?) temp.
-Readings with ASUS PC Probe: 15°C for the CPU temp
and 36°C for the mb temp.

Yesterday when i saw that there was a new BIOS
update (1008), i gave it a try. I followed all the insctructions correctly
(strangely with this 1008 update, it seems we can't use the AFUDOS utility
or the EZ Flash method anymore...they clearly state in red bold characters
on their download site: **Please flash BIOS using PPVM1008.exe, and do not
flash from any earlier versions to version 1008 through
EZFlash/AFUDOS/LiveUpdate** ) the BIOS flash procedure went OK. At bootup, i
got a double-beep with the messages: "cmos settings wrong" "cmos date/time
not set". I pressed F1 and set back the clock, then pressed F10 to save
changes and exit. The BIOS seemed fine thereafter,but i went back in the
setup to reapply my settings for the onboard devices...settings i've lost
during the BIOS update. I did set back my configs and did also check the
temperature readings to see if they were improved...not at all! I still got
the same impossible readings for both the MB and the CPU fields. I went in
the Main tab system information and a thing that catched my attention is
that in the "processor" field, the speed is reported to be 800MHz (It's
actually an Intel Celeron 1700MHz)! I went in the advancedcpu configuration
section. There,again, all the infos (Manufacturer- Brand String- FSB speed)
are right except for the "Frequency" field that is reported to be 800MHz
there too.

Now to go to the point: Since i didn't got any improvement for the
temperature readings, i decided to revert back to the 1007 BIOS version. I
booted with my Win98 startup disk and once DOS was loaded,i switched the
diskette with the one containing the AFUDOS.EXE utility and the PPVM1007.ROM
files. After entering the command afudos /ippvm1007.rom, the flashing
started and the procedure went OK. But big problem: I have the same
message(and BEEP-BEEP) than when i've upgraded to 1008 ("cmos settings
wrong" "cmos date/time
not set".) but this time even if i try to set back the clock and save my
changes, i get the the same message and the clock is back to 0h00 JAN 1st
2002 when entering setup. I also have the option to press F2 to load
defaults and continue...but Windows hangs during bootup if i do so. Reseting
the machine will bring me back to the same error messages at POST.
No matter how many times i may try to set the clock and the other settings,
when saving and exiting the BIOS setup, i have the same result at POST. I
tried to download at my friend's computer this 1007 rom file (just in case
the one i had may be corrupt) and saving it to a brand new floppy. After
flashing with AFUDOS, i'm stuck with the same deceiving results. I've
renamed the file p4p800vm.rom and tried EZ Flash utility (alt+F2 during
POST). EZ Flash did flashed the BIOS sucessfully, but i get nonetheless the
same results at POST...no way to set the clock, no way to boot Windows
completely. Any suggestion from there would be appreciated. TIA

--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec

Old January 2nd 04, 01:15 PM
ElJerid

"KILOWATT" wrote in message
[...]

First strange thing in your message is that you saw a new bios update 10.08
yesterday! I have the same motherboard and downloaded bios update version
10.12 on Dec. 15, 2003!
And there is a new version 10.14 since Dec. 31, 2003.
To flash the bios, I used EZ Flash and had no problem. You just have to
create a diskette with one single file, being the downloaded one renamed to
P4P800.rom, and start your PC while pressing Alt / F2.And you don't have to
struggle with Dos.
For the temp readings, just don't care. The important thing is not the
absolute value, but how the temp evolves while you stress the computer. I
don't think bios updates will change this, as the strange values are also
due to the localisation of the sensors.

Old January 2nd 04, 03:49 PM
Tj

Yes you can reflash with an older bios. Did you make a backup? If not you
should be abale to dowwnload it.

Old January 2nd 04, 09:37 PM
KILOWATT

Hi...thanks for the replies. ElJerid...do you own the p4p800 or the
p4p800-vm ? I've checked on the site and the updates are not the same for
each ones. Those 1012 and 1014 updates you've mentioned apply for the
p4p800. I own the p4p800-vm (integrated Video and Micro atx format).
Tj...nice to see than it's possible to revert back to an older BIOS...but
when i try...i have the problems mentioned in the last paragraph of my post.
:-( I Didn't backed up the other BIOS since the version 1007 (as well as
1005) is still available on the site.
--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec
PS: 1000 excuses for errors or omissions,
i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-)
Come to visit me at: http://kilowatt.camarades.com
(If replying also by e-mail, remove
"no spam" from the adress.)

Soltek SL-75FRN2-L BIOS flashing problem Ante Lazarusic General 4 October 23rd 03 02:22 PM
PSU kills bios!? Michael General 15 October 7th 03 02:15 PM
Help - PIO Mode - and LBA - BIOS parameters tb General 6 July 30th 03 08:10 AM
BIOS Gricalus General 3 July 13th 03 12:07 PM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM