Problem 9600xt and Call of Duty

Old January 20th 04, 08:58 PM
Paul Wadland

Default Problem 9600xt and Call of Duty

I have recently upgraded my Geforce4 to a Sapphire 9600xt and Call of Duty
now keeps locking up ! I have tried installing two lots of drivers from Ati
site and playing the game in safe mode but cannot get the game to play for
more than a few minutes without locking -up, any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks
Paul

Old January 20th 04, 09:17 PM
dino

I run an ATI Raedon 9600XT and play COD regularily..with no issues..running
CAT 4.10..have VPU recover disabled..prior to installing the drivers I ran
driver cleaner as I was going from Nvidia to an ATI setup..did this in safe
mode then reinstalled my Nvidia Unified Drivers.. (run an ASUS A7N8X-deluxe
m/b) also in safe mode in XP and restarted. One thing I have read is to
reinstall your AGP drivers if you replace your vid card AND to make sure all
your old drivers are gone. COD runs awesome and the graphics in it are
incredible.

Old January 20th 04, 10:49 PM
Mart

Paul Wadland wrote:
I have recently upgraded my Geforce4 to a Sapphire 9600xt and Call of Duty
now keeps locking up ! I have tried installing two lots of drivers from Ati
site and playing the game in safe mode but cannot get the game to play for
more than a few minutes without locking -up, any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks
Paul

Try this:

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4291.html

or this:

https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-...Z2U9MQ**&p_li=

or this:

http://www.pcgameworld.com/details.php/id/4741

Hope this helps!

--
Mart.

Old January 21st 04, 07:18 AM
Darthy

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:58:25 -0000, "Paul Wadland"
wrote:

I have recently upgraded my Geforce4 to a Sapphire 9600xt and Call of Duty
now keeps locking up ! I have tried installing two lots of drivers from Ati
site and playing the game in safe mode but cannot get the game to play for
more than a few minutes without locking -up, any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks
Paul

1 - Uninstall your old drivers.
2 - Run detonator Destoryer
3 - Install ATI drivers

If you want, you can also try 1~2 again without swapping cards. I
left the Nvidia drivers on my PC on purpose to see the effects... and
yes, my 9800Pro was horribly SLOW... gittery. Removed the drivers and
the 9800 flew.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 21st 04, 07:22 AM
Darthy

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:17:34 -0500, "dino" wrote:

I run an ATI Raedon 9600XT and play COD regularily..with no issues..running
CAT 4.10..have VPU recover disabled..prior to installing the drivers I ran
driver cleaner as I was going from Nvidia to an ATI setup..did this in safe
mode then reinstalled my Nvidia Unified Drivers.. (run an ASUS A7N8X-deluxe
m/b) also in safe mode in XP and restarted. One thing I have read is to
reinstall your AGP drivers if you replace your vid card AND to make sure all
your old drivers are gone. COD runs awesome and the graphics in it are
incredible.

Good advice... Safe mode is not usually neccessary unless there are
issues.

COD runs very good on ATI, I played it in 1600x1200 FULL details... A
very good game yes... Graphics "incredible"? No... it's a Quake3
engine game, graphics are fairly crappy by todays standards - but the
art team for COD did a great job with a 5year old engine. I still
give the game a 5 star rating... but the graphics are fairly crappy.

Compare it to Unreal2, and it shows its age. HALF Life2 has even
more details - far beyond the ability of COD/Quake3.

Old January 22nd 04, 03:10 AM
Tom Wells

I too am successfully playing COD with an Asus 9600XT. I'm using the Cat
3.10 drivers and I have VPU enabled. I was getting the same lockups with
the Asus drivers which were based on the 3.9 CATs. I did an uninstall
and used Driver Cleaner to catch any remnants. The Driver Cleaner help
suggests booting into save mode during the clean.

COD is great. I love the Russian section.

Tom

Old January 22nd 04, 08:46 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 03:10:23 GMT, Tom Wells
wrote:

I too am successfully playing COD with an Asus 9600XT. I'm using the Cat
3.10 drivers and I have VPU enabled. I was getting the same lockups with
the Asus drivers which were based on the 3.9 CATs. I did an uninstall
and used Driver Cleaner to catch any remnants. The Driver Cleaner help
suggests booting into save mode during the clean.

COD is great. I love the Russian section.

I'd like to somehow see an expanded we-worked COD-2 with Doom3 or HL2
engine... now that would be some GRAPHICS!

Old January 23rd 04, 04:08 PM
Paul Wadland

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the hints and tips, tried them all over the last three days.
Unfortunately none of them helped and I am now ditching the card and going
back to Nvidia. I'm going to try a MSI FX5900, going Ati was a mistake in my
opinion. Thanks again
Paul

Old January 24th 04, 11:35 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:08:45 -0000, "Paul Wadland"
wrote:

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the hints and tips, tried them all over the last three days.
Unfortunately none of them helped and I am now ditching the card and going
back to Nvidia. I'm going to try a MSI FX5900, going Ati was a mistake in my
opinion. Thanks again
Paul

Sorry it didnt work out for you... Your hardware doesn't agree with
the ATi I guess... remember, there are thousands of combinations of
hardware to screw up.

Your right thou, it is your opinion.

MSI 5900 is kick ass card... you should love it.