Steps to replacing a card

Old November 17th 06, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

Default Steps to replacing a card

I'm looking to upgrade the video card on my system. I haven't bought a
card yet so I don't have an instruction manual to look at. I'm
wondering what are the basic steps to replacing a card. Is it as
simple as opening up the case and replacing the card or is there some
deinstallation and installation that has to occur?

Brian

Old November 17th 06, 09:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Fidelis K

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking to upgrade the video card on my system. I haven't bought a
card yet so I don't have an instruction manual to look at. I'm
wondering what are the basic steps to replacing a card. Is it as
simple as opening up the case and replacing the card or is there some
deinstallation and installation that has to occur?

It's easy.

1. Uninstall the video card driver.
2. Open up the case.
3. Take out the old card. You may have to press the latch that secures the
card to take it out. Use your finger or a screwdriver.
4. Install the card.
5. Put the case back.
6. Install the driver.

If your old & new cards are from the same company (e.g., ATI), you may skip
1 & 6.

Old November 17th 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Jim Rusling

"Fidelis K" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I'm looking to upgrade the video card on my system. I haven't bought a
card yet so I don't have an instruction manual to look at. I'm
wondering what are the basic steps to replacing a card. Is it as
simple as opening up the case and replacing the card or is there some
deinstallation and installation that has to occur?

It's easy.

1. Uninstall the video card driver.
2. Open up the case.
3. Take out the old card. You may have to press the latch that secures the
card to take it out. Use your finger or a screwdriver.
4. Install the card.
5. Put the case back.
6. Install the driver.

If your old & new cards are from the same company (e.g., ATI), you may skip
1 & 6.

Only if they both use the same ATI drivers. I just switched from a
AIW8500 to a X1300. They did not use the same drivers.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Old November 18th 06, 07:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
T Shadow

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
g...
"Fidelis K" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

6 would be the new cards drivers.
If he has an on board video card he may have to disable it in BIOS.
Sometimes it's disabled by putting in the new card.