stand-alone scanner???

Old October 1st 07, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
surface9

Default stand-alone scanner???

Does anyone make a scanner that will output the scanned image to
either a USB flash memory module or some form of memory card?
Bypassing the need to hook the scanner up to a PC?

It would be very easy if you could just scan your source directly onto
a memory module and then insert that memory module inot your PC as a
removable hard drive - right?

I have found that the software needed make scanners work is so buggy
that this would actually be a better solution.

I have a old digital camera that works that way and I never have to
worry about crappy camera software.

Littleberry

Old October 1st 07, 11:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

"surface9" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone make a scanner that will output the scanned image to
either a USB flash memory module or some form of memory card?
Bypassing the need to hook the scanner up to a PC?

It would be very easy if you could just scan your source directly onto
a memory module and then insert that memory module inot your PC as a
removable hard drive - right?

I have found that the software needed make scanners work is so buggy
that this would actually be a better solution.

I have a old digital camera that works that way and I never have to
worry about crappy camera software.

Littleberry

Very impractical idea.

If you could scan directly to a memory card how would you be able to set the
scan area, resolution, color, grayscale or B&W without seeing the preview.
Not to mention setting the Black and White points.

You need the preview just to setup the scan.
You need a computer to drive the scanner.

You have not used scanners very much if you think the software is buggy.
Using a scanner is a learning experience, one does not use a scanner like
you would a office copy machine.

If you really want to find out how complicated using a scanner is, check out
the information on Scantips.com

You should for sure read the Never used a scanner before?
http://www.scantips.com/begin.html

And Wayne goes to great lengths of "Keep It Simple".
http://www.scantips.com/

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old October 2nd 07, 05:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
surface9

Well I thought it could be kept very simple - scan the entire
scannable area in full color mode onto a memory module, and let the
user put that memory module inot his PC (as a removable h/d) and then
he can use any of a large number of very good photo applications (I
use Thumbs Plus) to easily and quickly convert it however is needed
(size, color depth, contract, filters, etc.). Since memory modules
are mega bytes these days, it wouldn't seem to be very much of a
hassle to always scan the entire scannable area at full mode - what is
the problem?

As far as previewing it, do that from the memory module in your PC -
very quick, very easy, and with software that ACTUALLY works.

I have had two scanners (Plustek and HP), and both work off and on and
the errors are not solvable by the manufacturers. For example, HP's
hardware is top notch, but, they really can't seem to get their
software to actually work consistently. They utilize windows scripts,
and when you call and ask for help, they just reply "re-install
windows". Nonesense - Thumbs, Adobe, even Mspaint NEVER require me to
re-install windows.

Also, by insisting on requiring a PC hookup, the manufacturers then
feel compelled to load up their supporting software with so much BLOAT
that they fail to get the fundamentals down pat - like drivers and
controls.

I think a "stand-alone" scanner would be very popular with folks who
only use it once in a while and don't want to worry with their flakey
software.

So does anyone know if any manufacturer is making anything like that?

Littleberry

Old October 2nd 07, 12:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

"surface9" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I would agree that HP and Plustek are lousy scanners.

But don't go blaming all scanners on the mistakes of two cheap ass
manufacturers.

You should try good brands of scanners, such as Canon, Microtek, or Epson.

I own a Canon 8400F which is now a 8600F.

It has a good TWAIN driver that works great with any TWAIN aware software
including ThumbsPlus.

So your complaint is really about the two lousy scanners you bought.

One thing that is wrong with you idea of scanning the whole scanner bed in
color and saving to a memory module is the fact that if you scan the whole
bed every time, you would end up having to edit the results every time,
especially if you are only scanning a business card 2 X 3 inches, you would
have 6 x 8 inches of wasted space that makes the image much larger than
necessary.

If you have a photo editor, why not just use the TWAIN interface in the
Photo Editor to acquire in the first place?

Another thing wrong with the idea is the fact you may not get a good image
with default settings.

You can use Adobe Photoshop (CS or Elements) to scan the image, you got to
admit that Photoshop is not buggy software.

Even HP has a TWAIN interface that works. So does Plustek. Stop using the
"bloatware'".

Mspaint does not do TWAIN. Mspaint uses the Microsoft WIA, which does not
work with all scanners.
Mspaint is probably the worst image software in the world for editing
photos.

ThumbsPlus has a TWAIN interface also, the TWAIN interface in Thumbsplus is
a little buggy.

If you want free software that works, try Irfanview. Be sure to get the
Plug-in, the Plug-in is what makes Irfanview the great software that it is.
http://www.irfanview.com/

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old October 2nd 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
surface9

Thanks, CSM1, I'll look into the "twain" driver feature. What I don't
understand is how I am going to get around the drivers that came on
the CD I got with the scanner. I don't see how irfanview could have
anticpated the unexpected ways HP or PLUSTEK (or any scanner
manufacturer) might have implemented their hardware. That is a
mystery to me - but if there is a standard and these compaines adhered
to it with their hardware and firmware, then that would make sense.

I guess I need to uninstall their drivers and see what irfanview has
to offer. I think the problem with HP and PLUSTEK is in their drivers
as well as their bloatware, because often they fail to detect their
stupid scanners when I plug them in!!!!! (dadratit!)

You've given me some ideas to explore - thanks.

I am a bit miffed that I may have to yet seek another scanner, but, at
least craigslist has ample cannon, microtek, and epson scanners for
sale on the cheap all the time. I would have thought HP was top-notch
- their hardware sure seems to be. The scanner I have sits upright
and can be detached so it can scan bound books and such - I really
like the hardware aspects of this scanner - if I could find a driver
and software that would work consistently, then I would be a happy
camper. My plustek is large format and I can scan legal documents in
one fell swoop - that is a nice feature, but, again, only when the
software manages to work all the way through.

I usually scan the entire image anyway (storage is so cheap and
plentiful these days), and I have yet to scan a document that didn't
scan just fine with all the standard settings (50% brightness, 50%
contrast, full color, tft or jpg format). Thumbsplus makes short work
out of cropping the blacked out portion and adjusting the image as
needed. If I could get software that would skip the PREVIEW step,
that would really be nice.

Thanks again.

Littleberry

Old October 2nd 07, 05:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
surface9

Well, to my happy suprise, thumbsplus has a twain option (under the
picture tab) and it recognized the HP scanner right away and scanned
in an image flawlessly. I notice that it did use the HP driver - I
guess that works ok - but this was so easy to use that I can't believe
I struggled all this time not knowing I had that solution right there
in Thumbsplus.

Problem solved - thanks.

littleberry

Old October 2nd 07, 10:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

"surface9" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, to my happy suprise, thumbsplus has a twain option (under the
picture tab) and it recognized the HP scanner right away and scanned
in an image flawlessly. I notice that it did use the HP driver - I
guess that works ok - but this was so easy to use that I can't believe
I struggled all this time not knowing I had that solution right there
in Thumbsplus.

Problem solved - thanks.

littleberry

You are welcome. I did see you other post before you tried the TWAIN in
ThumbsPlus.

The Thumbsplus TWAIN works most of the time.

By the way you can use the Thumbsplus auto filename with the image scan. In
case you have not seen that feature of Thumbsplus.

In Thumbsplus Pro version 7:
You first do Image Twain Setup, choose the file folder and file format.
Click the Setup button to set the filename prefix and increment.

Then Image TWAIN Multiple Acquire Scanner.

Nearly all scanners have the TWAIN driver included in the software install.
You can usually choose to not install the "Bloatware" and just use the TWAIN
driver.

I very seldom use the "Bloatware". I, like you find it is often buggy.

You should still try Irfanview, it is free and a really great Image viewer
and Scanner Interface. I use Irfanview for making quick copies of documents
all the time.

Irfanview has a scan then print feature, but I do not use that feature
because I like to tweak the scan before printing. It is only one extra step
to do the scan then print.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old October 5th 07, 01:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

They do if the TWAIN driver interface for the scanner has a descreen
function.

Descreen is done in the Scanner driver, not after the fact. Unless the
scanner does not have a descreen function, then you must descreen using a
manual method.

Manual Descreen methods
http://www.scantips.com/basics6c.html

Irscanview is "Irfanview" It is free, be sure to get the plug-in also.
http://www.irfanview.net/

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"Jim C" wrote in message
Does thumbsplus or Irscanview support scan descreen capability?

"CSM1" wrote in message
ups.com...