TV-OUT and Sound

Old September 2nd 03, 10:28 AM
J.Clarke

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:56:46 +0100
"Geoff Calvert" wrote:

This may be a dumb question, but should I be able to get sound out via
the TV-OUT line on my Ti4200 card?

I naively assumed that I could set up a cheap DVD player by using the
DVD-ROM drive on the computer and hooking the S-Video output from the
Ti4200(via a media converter) into the SCART socket on my TV.

This works fine for the video image on the TV, but there is no sound
from the TV.

What does anyone else do? Do you just run some separate speakers from
the computer sound card and stack them near the TV?

Neither S-video nor composite carry sound, they only carry image. To
get sound you have to run cables from your sound board to the audio
inputs on your TV.

Thanks

Geoff

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old September 2nd 03, 01:18 PM
HamMan

"Geoff Calvert" wrote in message
This may be a dumb question, but should I be able to get sound out via the
TV-OUT line on my Ti4200 card?

I naively assumed that I could set up a cheap DVD player by using the
DVD-ROM drive on the computer and hooking the S-Video output from the

Ti4200
(via a media converter) into the SCART socket on my TV.

This works fine for the video image on the TV, but there is no sound from
the TV.

What does anyone else do? Do you just run some separate speakers from the
computer sound card and stack them near the TV?

Thanks

Geoff

Get a s-video to composite adapter, and a headphone style plug to twin sound
compostie adapter, then plug those wires into a composite to scart adapter.
Failing that you could just get a cheapo £35 DVD player from your
supermarket

Old September 2nd 03, 03:01 PM
Mario Kadastik

Geoff Calvert wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but should I be able to get sound out via the
TV-OUT line on my Ti4200 card?

I naively assumed that I could set up a cheap DVD player by using the
DVD-ROM drive on the computer and hooking the S-Video output from the Ti4200
(via a media converter) into the SCART socket on my TV.

This works fine for the video image on the TV, but there is no sound from
the TV.

What does anyone else do? Do you just run some separate speakers from the
computer sound card and stack them near the TV?

Well I have 5.1 speakers set around the room so when I play a DVD movie
and watch it on TV then the audio is synchronized exactly at the
location of the TV.

I also watch satellite television, but there I take the audio from the
satellite TV and audio outputs and put them to the SCART in of my TV.
That way I have audio and video on TV.

You could use your audio cards audio output as the line in of SCART, but
then you need to get a really good cable that does 3.5 jack -
2xcomposite and it has to be really well shielded. I used some random
cable and got no audio then I bought a professional cable and with that
I have the audio.

Hope it helps.

Mario

PS! svideo is just for TV, no audio channels as far as I know

Old September 3rd 03, 10:17 AM
Geoff Calvert

Thanks for the replies - now I look at the composite to SCART adapter it is
obvious - one S-video, one Video and two Audio (L&R) lines. Will try a 3.5mm
to twin audio cable alongside the S-video cable.

Geoff

Old September 5th 03, 07:31 AM
Chimera

Geoff Calvert wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but should I be able to get sound out via the
TV-OUT line on my Ti4200 card?

If plug an arial into the back of your microwave, you can watch TV while
cooking dinner.