Can I run TWO 7100gs Geforce cards in sequence?

Old June 22nd 08, 05:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
daviddschool

Default Can I run TWO 7100gs Geforce cards in sequence?

I happen to have two cheap 7100gs Geforce cards and I heard that some
people were running more then one at a time - is this possible with
this card?
Thanks in advance.
Old June 22nd 08, 06:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"daviddschool" wrote in message
I happen to have two cheap 7100gs Geforce cards and I heard that some
people were running more then one at a time - is this possible with
this card?
Thanks in advance.

By in in sequence I take it you mean SLI mode. Can you SLI the cards? Yes.
If you have a mainboard supporting SLI. Would you want to? That's another
question altogether. Consider that a single 7100GS got a score of 360
(that's three hundred and sixty) on the default 3DMark06 run with an dual
core Athlon X2 at 2.8Ghz. In SLI that might raise it to 500. I've got a $40
64bit HD2400 512Mb card that does over 1300 on a 2.8Ghz AMD dual core.

Old June 22nd 08, 06:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

By in in sequence I take it you mean SLI mode. Can you SLI the cards?
Yes. If you have a mainboard supporting SLI. Would you want to? That's
another question altogether. Consider that a single 7100GS got a score of
360 (that's three hundred and sixty) on the default 3DMark06 run with an
dual core Athlon X2 at 2.8Ghz. In SLI that might raise it to 500. I've
got a $40 64bit HD2400 512Mb card that does over 1300 on a 2.8Ghz AMD dual
core.

Link:
http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Inno...21/4124-6.html

Old June 22nd 08, 03:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
daviddschool

Ok, are you saying that doubling up the GS7100 is not a good idea
because the score doesn't really increase? I don't know much about
benchmarks, but it seem that $40.00 card is much better then this
7100...woe is me.
I just read that page and it seems like I can overclock this card
which I haven't tried yet - so that might be a better way to go right
now?

Old June 22nd 08, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"daviddschool" wrote in message
Ok, are you saying that doubling up the GS7100 is not a good idea
because the score doesn't really increase? I don't know much about
benchmarks, but it seem that $40.00 card is much better then this
7100...woe is me.
I just read that page and it seems like I can overclock this card
which I haven't tried yet - so that might be a better way to go right
now?

A 7100GS is a productivity card and nothing more. It, like the HD2400 my
wife uses, is good for 2D screen duty only. Non-accelerated 2D games will
work fine on it as is. Overclocking that 7100GS will not result in any
increase in 2D performance. And it's so woefully inadequate for 3D that it's
pointless. Kind of like a teacher offering to double your final exam mark if
you got 1.5 % on it. In fact, in productivity apps, your 7100GS will not be
any better or worse than my 8800GT and 9600GT.

Old June 22nd 08, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
daviddschool

I just purchased a 8600GT the other day hoping it would be better then
my 7100GS - oh-oh, I hope I didn't throw away money on it.
I did try and overclock the 7100GS with Rivatuner, but it crashed my
system...

Old June 22nd 08, 05:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"daviddschool" wrote in message
I just purchased a 8600GT the other day hoping it would be better then
my 7100GS - oh-oh, I hope I didn't throw away money on it.
I did try and overclock the 7100GS with Rivatuner, but it crashed my
system...

Better for what? An 8600GT is an OK card for less demanding newer games at
moderate resolutions.

Old June 22nd 08, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
daviddschool

Sorry, I should have told you the uses for it :
I am using it for editing video, some 3D app (model, animation). I
wanted to upgrade because the 7100gs, although a nice card, seemed a
little sluggish...
I don't play games at all...

Old June 22nd 08, 06:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"daviddschool" wrote in message
Sorry, I should have told you the uses for it :
I am using it for editing video, some 3D app (model, animation). I
wanted to upgrade because the 7100gs, although a nice card, seemed a
little sluggish...
I don't play games at all...

Video editing: no difference

3D Modelling and Animation: Vast difference

Old June 22nd 08, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
daviddschool

Well, I got the card for $69.00 Cdn on sale, so I guess it isn't too
bad. I was hoping with editing HD footage, it might help, but I guess
not.
What would I need to edit HD footage on a budget that is going to
increase me speeds?

Again, thanks for the time and patience in all of this.