WTB: Athlon 1400+ CPU

Old November 19th 05, 03:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Paul

Default WTB: Athlon 1400+ CPU

I'm looking to get a little more performance out of an older system.
I'm looking to buy an AMD Athlon 1400 - A1400AMS3C. Are there good
places to buy something like this? I see a couple on eBay, but was
wondering if there were other options. Thank you.

Paul
Old November 21st 05, 09:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:21:41 -0600, Paul wrote:

I'm looking to get a little more performance out of an older system. I'm
looking to buy an AMD Athlon 1400 - A1400AMS3C. Are there good places to
buy something like this? I see a couple on eBay, but was wondering if
there were other options. Thank you.

What MB (make/model)? As long as you know what you're doing (or can get
someone to help you that does) you can install almost any K7 cpu in any K7
MB and make it work. One thing I will tell you. The old tbird 1400 isn't
anywhere close to your best option. See link below

Old November 22nd 05, 01:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Paul

Wes, thanks for the reply. I have an ASUS A7V133 MB version 1.05 (no
ending dot). According to the ASUS website, this version of the MB
won't take anything faster than the 1400. I'm not saying it's
impossible, but I don't want to buy something that may or may not work
or is going to be a hassle. I was hoping to find a site somewhere on
the internet to find things like this for sale, but so far I haven't
found much.

Old November 22nd 05, 05:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
VaVoom

Paul wrote:

Wes, thanks for the reply. I have an ASUS A7V133 MB version 1.05 (no
ending dot). According to the ASUS website, this version of the MB
won't take anything faster than the 1400. I'm not saying it's
impossible, but I don't want to buy something that may or may not work
or is going to be a hassle. I was hoping to find a site somewhere on
the internet to find things like this for sale, but so far I haven't
found much.

http://tinyurl.com/8sl2a
says it can use an XP2100+ as long as you have BIOS 1007 or higher.
Old November 22nd 05, 09:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:34:19 -0600, Paul wrote:

Wes, thanks for the reply. I have an ASUS A7V133 MB version 1.05 (no
ending dot). According to the ASUS website, this version of the MB won't
take anything faster than the 1400. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I
don't want to buy something that may or may not work or is going to be a
hassle. I was hoping to find a site somewhere on the internet to find
things like this for sale, but so far I haven't found much.

Forget the Asus website. It's wrong. Just like the Abit website says a
1400 is the fastest cpu you can put in the KT7 (KT133) MB. You can put
anything you want in it. I don't know what you want, but if you want the
max you can get out of it then get an XP-M or any other unlocked Barton
core cpu. Or, you can use any multiplier locked cpu as long as it has a
default 133MHz FSB. IOW's, a locked 2400+ XP will run at 13x133 (2000MHz),
the default speed. An unlocked 2400+ will also default to 2000MHz, but the
bios will set it to 20x100. This you can adjust the multiplier to 17x133
(2266MHz) without mods. Here's a quick chart of cpu's that will work at or
above there rated speeds.

Locked
Any Athlon XP up to 2400+ and the 2600+/266 (but not 2600+/333)
Unlocked
Any of them. You can set the fsb an dmultiplier to whatever you want. All
XP-M's and MP's are unlocked. As are all other XP's prior to about 0338
manufacture date.

One that won't run at default speeds.
Any multiplier locked /333 or /400 models made after 0338.

Don't believe me, just do a search. You'll find idiots quoting the Asus
website, but you'll also find people that are actually running the other
cpu's. Believe them. There's no magic to it.

Old November 23rd 05, 02:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Paul

This would be true if my MB version was 1.05., but mine is 1.05 (no
ending dot). From what I've been able to read, the ending dot is
significant.

Old November 23rd 05, 05:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
VaVoom

Paul wrote:
This would be true if my MB version was 1.05., but mine is 1.05 (no
ending dot). From what I've been able to read, the ending dot is
significant.

That's what I'm reading too.

http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/info/cpu/ has a couple charts which say...
A7V133 1.00 - 1.05 ( without trailing dot!) can use Athlon XP Palomino
1500+ to 2100+ (Type H) as long as you set the multiplier ( FID ) for
this CPU manually via DIP-Switch ( JUMPERMODE ), else the system might
not boot.

Old November 23rd 05, 06:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
VaVoom

Wes Newell wrote:

You'll find idiots quoting the Asus website,

You're the guy that recently told us "Personally, I use Dot 3 brake
fluid" to lube fan bearings.

Brake fluid embrittles many plastics. Maybe you keep a scatter shield
around your fans to contain flying blades?
Old November 23rd 05, 12:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Adiabatic

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:21:41 -0600, Paul wrote:

I'm looking to get a little more performance out of an older system.
I'm looking to buy an AMD Athlon 1400 - A1400AMS3C. Are there good
places to buy something like this? I see a couple on eBay, but was
wondering if there were other options. Thank you.

Paul

Don't listen to anyone's claims unless they themselves have actually
done it. I used to have the asus a7v 133 1.05 and I didn't try
anything faster than a 1400, so I can't tell you.