Best thermal paste?

Old September 29th 05, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

Default Best thermal paste?

On Sep. 1, 2005 I replaced my normal HSF thermal compound with some 30
year old wheel bearing grease that I had in the garage. Afterwards the
temps were the same as the original thermal compound. Today they are still
as good are maybe .5C better. AMD64 3000+

CPU Temp: +31°C
M/B Temp: +28°C

The grease container lid has been craked wide open for years, along with
some cracks in the plastic 1 lb. tub it came in. Temp. ranges where it's
been stored (garage) all these years range from below -10C to around 60C
annually. It's still soft. Think it will ever dry out? Think your $5 a
gram compound is better than this $1 a lb?:-)

I don't think I'll report on this again unless there's some kind of
problem, which I don't expect.

Old November 13th 05, 10:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

Default Best thermal paste? Update

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:10:39 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

On Sep. 1, 2005 I replaced my normal HSF thermal compound with some 30
year old wheel bearing grease that I had in the garage. Afterwards the
temps were the same as the original thermal compound. Today they are still
as good are maybe .5C better. AMD64 3000+

CPU Temp: +31°C
M/B Temp: +28°C

The grease container lid has been craked wide open for years, along with
some cracks in the plastic 1 lb. tub it came in. Temp. ranges where it's
been stored (garage) all these years range from below -10C to around 60C
annually. It's still soft. Think it will ever dry out? Think your $5 a
gram compound is better than this $1 a lb?:-)

Not much change after 2.5 months. Even though I've added a raid controller
card with 2 more drives and an HDTV tuner card. I also replaced the rather
old GF3 video card. Here's the temps now.

CPU Temp: +31°C
M/B Temp: +27°C

Old November 13th 05, 05:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
NoNoBadDog!

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, lets put a flammable, electrically conductive petro-solvent on our
computers.
You are not even a good troll.

I'd like to tell you where to put your axle grease, but to maintain the
decorum of the group, I won't.

If you are trolling, this one is a lame attempt.

If you did indeed put axle grease on your CPU, then you are truly stupid.

Bobby

Old November 13th 05, 11:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Cal Vanize

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
"Wes Newell" wrote in message

[...]

Interesting comments.

The flamability is relatively low, less than the motherboard itself.

Arctic silver is electrically conductive and doesn't seem to present
problems.

I'm not sure if any of the components it would contact would necessarily
be chemically changed or softened.

So where do you want to go with this? Do you have some evidence of
damage from this material that we can use to determine whether or not
its OK to use?

Old November 14th 05, 03:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote in message

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

It might seem like that, but Wes is actually an old head here.

It does seem horrific though -- grease -- yikes.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old November 14th 05, 03:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
NoNoBadDog!

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
"Wes Newell" wrote in message

[...]

Most grease contains detergents and solvents to prevent the grease from
coagulating due to heat and aging. In addition, it will damage any
motherboard it comes into contact with. The flammability of grease is most
definitely higher than the motherboard, and its flashpoint is lower.
You must understand that axle grease is meant to lubricate axles, and is not
intended to be used as
HSF compound.

All else considered, you must assume that many who may read your post may
not have the experience level to know that what you did was just plain
wrong.

I hope you don't work on any computers but your own.

I would fire anyone I discovered was using axle grease for any purpose on
any computer.

Using axle grease on your own computer, as lame and stupid as that is, is
your perogative. Posting it here in a manner that may cause others to try
it is irresponsible.

You may be proud of the silly axle grease trick, but it is not recommended
under any circumstances.

Imagine this scenario...someone decides to build their first computer. They
read your lame post...run to the garage and find some automotive grease,
slap it on, and their processor/motherboard goes up in smoke. Who is to
blame? You are as guilty as they are for posting the lame post you made.

For anyone else bothering to read this thread:

DO NOT USE AXLE GREASE ON ANY PART OR COMPONENT OF YOUR COMPUTER.

I thought maybe you were a troll, or that you were merely stupid. It
appears I was right on both counts.

Good luck with the computer....

Bobby

Old November 14th 05, 03:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

DO NOT USE AXLE GREASE ON ANY PART OR COMPONENT OF YOUR COMPUTER.

I thought maybe you were a troll, or that you were merely stupid. It
appears I was right on both counts.

Good luck with the computer....

Well, no need to denigrate a person. You're getting desperate there.

You should understand that some people are religious in their rejection of
such products as the Arctic Silver line and delight in showing that even
such and such -- toothpaste, and now axle grease -- is just as good. But I
don't think they try out the Arctic long enough for it to bake into its
better-performing final form. Or maybe they disdain spending any $ on it.

I use Arctic Ceramique myself, because I've read reports where after some
bake-in it did give couple of extra degrees C cooling, and it's great to
apply (just a dot or stripe, then twist the mounted hsf a little) and comes
off easily.

We did use it on a friend's machine recently and it's running cooler than
when we put it on.

It's cheap too, in the little tube that does lots of cpu's.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old November 14th 05, 03:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Cal Vanize

NoNoBadDog! wrote:

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message

NoNoBadDog! wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message

[...]

Hey, not my post. Just asking the questions.

I hope you don't work on any computers but your own.

I build and maintain a lot of computers including my own. Haven't had
any problems. All are stable and most have been running 24x7 for 2 years.

[...]

Gee, Bobby. Don't hold back. Tell us all what you really think.
Shouldn't your post be directed to the original poster?

BTW, I've got an old motherboard and an Athlon XP2000. That kinda runs
a little warm, typically around 53C. I'll smear grease on the
motherboard and chip and them drop an undersized heatsink on it. If you
don't hear back, its because it exploded and took out the whole
neighborhood.

Old November 14th 05, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
NoNoBadDog!

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message

NoNoBadDog! wrote:

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message

NoNoBadDog! wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message

[...]

My apologies, and yes my comments were meant for the OP.

Bobby

Old November 14th 05, 06:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:19:20 +0000, NoNoBadDog! wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

KT133 MB, CPU @2400MHz (24x100): SIS755 MB CPU @2330MHz (10x233) Need
good help? Provide all system info with question. My server
http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php Verizon server

Yeah, lets put a flammable, electrically conductive petro-solvent on our
computers.
You are not even a good troll.

I'd like to tell you where to put your axle grease, but to maintain the
decorum of the group, I won't.

If you are trolling, this one is a lame attempt.

If you did indeed put axle grease on your CPU, then you are truly
stupid.

I don't know where you came from, but you should go back there and learn a
few things before coming into a newsgroup spouting **** you know
absolutely nothing about. I've seen more incorrect post from you in the
last couple of months than I've seen in here in the last couple of years.
I would plonk your stupid butt but I have to keep correcting your post so
you don't mislead others. Go ahead, tell me what you think. Considering
the source, it won't bother me a bit.