Firewire drive issue

Old June 26th 03, 01:11 AM
Skoiboy

Default Firewire drive issue

I recently bought a Buslink USB/Firewire hard drive which I'm hooking up to
a laptop via firewire. I had to get a 6-pin to 4-pin converter for the
firewire cable in order to hook it up. The problem is that when backing up
the hard drive using Acronis True Image 6.0, the backup starts and the drive
access light comes on and just stays on and eventually the computer loses
the connection to the drive and the image fails. The computer give me the
error: "Delayed Write Failed." If I hook the computer up via USB port then
the backup goes fine (although a lot slower, therefore not the solution).
Anyway, transferring regular files seems to work fine via firewire...

I'm just wondering if the problem could be related to using the adapter that
changes the pins from 6 to 4....should I just get a cable that goes from 6
to 4??? Do you think this is the problem??? I'm running XP...

Thanks!

skoiboy

Old June 26th 03, 01:13 AM
Skoiboy

Also, I don't know if it matters, but my drive I'm trying to backup it NTFS,
while the firewire drive is FAT32...I wouldn't expect this to be the issue
though.

Old June 26th 03, 05:59 AM
Skoiboy

I do have a Nvidia Geforce 4, but I'm having trouble thinking that this
could be the ulitmate problem. I'm sure there are plenty of people with the
same setup and I can't find anything connecting the two situations together
on the net.

"SimMike-" wrote in message
I had a computer which had the first Nvidia chip set. Whenever I connected

my
firewire drive enclosure to this computer, I got the dreaded "delayed

write
failed" error message. I tried two different Firewire cards, a TI and Via

card,
two or three different cables, including 6 pin to 4 pin, and no matter

what I
did, the firewire drive would not work for longer than a minute or two.

This
same drive works perfect on a variety of other computers, cables and

firewire
boards. I finally sold this computer to someone else, who hopefully

doesn't
install a firewire card. Besides the firewire problems, everything else in

this
computer worked great.

So the gist is: some computers don't do firewire correctly with some

drives. One
further thing, this computer would connect and use my DV camcorder just

fine, so
it was just external drives being the problem.

Old June 26th 03, 08:28 PM
Dave Hau

Try updating the laptop bios to the latest version if you haven't
already. Also try using a different DOS firewire driver, e.g. try the
one from Symantec:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...2%B4%C3%BDage:

Download aspi1394.sys, edit your config.sys to load this driver, and see
if it fixes the problem with True Image 6.0.

Cheers,
Dave

Old June 27th 03, 03:12 PM
wally

In article , "Rod Speed" wrote:

Skoiboy wrote in message

Also, I don't know if it matters, but my drive I'm trying
to backup it NTFS, while the firewire drive is FAT32...
I wouldn't expect this to be the issue though.

Correct.

Not if he's got any files 4GB on the NTFS partition!

--wally.
Old June 27th 03, 07:32 PM
Rod Speed

wally wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote
Skoiboy wrote

Also, I don't know if it matters, but my drive I'm trying
to backup it NTFS, while the firewire drive is FAT32...
I wouldn't expect this to be the issue though.

Correct.

Not if he's got any files 4GB on the NTFS partition!

Should still be fine given that its done using an image.
The imaging app should handle that.