Multiple Scanners (Seeking Expert Advice)

Old June 30th 04, 10:52 PM
Fritz Holz

Default Multiple Scanners (Seeking Expert Advice)

Are there any issues with having two scanners on the same system? (i.e.
driver conflicts)

Scanners; Epson flatbed and a HP with ADF

TIA

Old July 1st 04, 12:26 AM
Wayne Fulton

In article , says...

Are there any issues with having two scanners on the same system? (i.e.
driver conflicts)

Scanners; Epson flatbed and a HP with ADF

If both are USB, then there is a good chance of issues, see

If at least one is not USB, then there shouldnt be any issue.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

Old July 1st 04, 07:13 AM
Fritz Holz

"Wayne Fulton" replied to the below question:
Are there any issues with having two scanners on the same system? (i.e.
driver conflicts)

Scanners; Epson flatbed and a HP with ADF

If both are USB, then there is a good chance of issues, see

If at least one is not USB, then there shouldnt be any issue.

Thanks Wayne... seems this would, (could), be a desired setup on countless
systems. One would think there might be an A/B switch or programming that
could switch between the two devices.

Appreciate the heads-up.

Old July 3rd 04, 07:10 PM
Tom Brown

I have an HP ScanJet 6300C and a Nikon LS-2000, both SCSI, happily
co-existing on my system.

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 06:13:31 UTC, "Fritz Holz" wrote:

"Wayne Fulton" replied to the below question:
Are there any issues with having two scanners on the same system? (i.e.
driver conflicts)

Scanners; Epson flatbed and a HP with ADF

If both are USB, then there is a good chance of issues, see

If at least one is not USB, then there shouldnt be any issue.

Thanks Wayne... seems this would, (could), be a desired setup on countless
systems. One would think there might be an A/B switch or programming that
could switch between the two devices.

Appreciate the heads-up.

--
Tom Brown
thombrown at san dot rr dot com
Member SCOUG, V.O.I.C.E. & SDAA
running eComStation GA + FP 3
eCS system uptime is 0 days 00:42 hours
Old July 4th 04, 06:05 AM
Mac McDougald

In article 1dg3dd6yrPYX-pn2-YuFMg9nxlnzf@localhost,
says...
I have an HP ScanJet 6300C and a Nikon LS-2000, both SCSI, happily
co-existing on my system.

Of course.
You could have 7 scanners on a SCSI system.

Old July 5th 04, 04:14 PM
Wayne Fulton

In article ,
says...

yeah, I don't really know.
But I have 4 SCSI devices right now, (CD-R, Jaz drive, LS2000, HPIIcx),
used to have external Zip drive on it also.

And a heck of a alot longer than 5' total. I've got one cable that's
maybe 4 feet alone. I'm guessing maybe 12-14 feet total chain.

And a real hodgepodge of cables/connectors, 50HD, 25pin, and Centronics.

That's about my setup too, but I was never able to make three external SCSI
devices work due to cable length. One foot cables are just not very
practical for scanners. g With two SCSI scanners, to use an external zip
disk, I have to power down and swap it out with the last scanner to keep the
bus shorter. Even then, an internal CDR stops working if the zip is attached
(I suspect the zip auto termination is not so good).

The Fast and Ultra SCSI bus is rated 3 meters (10 feet) overall, except if
four or more devices are on the Ultra bus, the spec drops to half of that.
Generally they say at least 6 inches spacing between device connectors, which
even approaches a problem for seven internal devices too. But one can have
multiple SCSI cards of course.

SCSI was truly fantastic in its day, I was a big fan. Its coprocessor
multitasking ability was great, and the ability for multiple devices to use
one IRQ was essential because the PC was so limited. But then Windows became
able to share PCI IRQ, and other less fussy interfaces were developed, so
SCSI is fading away now, except perhaps for server disks.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

HELP !!! Need an expert advice on P4P800-E problem :( ( DESPERATE ) nina.p20 Asus Motherboards 20 January 23rd 05 11:21 AM
Seeking Advice: Dual Xeon System webster General 3 September 21st 04 05:48 AM
Seeking Mobo Advice from Those Who Know Zulu Overclocking 3 February 12th 04 12:47 PM
Need expert advice Lugan Scanners 0 October 19th 03 10:34 AM
Seeking opinions on film scanners Esoteric Scanners 0 October 9th 03 12:51 AM